I Have A Feeling I Would Have Loved Ken O'Brien

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by The Dark Knight, May 14, 2020.

1. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

Curley is the all time Jets scoring leader in SB history. LOL

2. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

Thats because like U they probably never saw him play :mad:nor remember the panalties

3. J-Raw24

J-Raw24 Well-Known Member

Funny people who actually played against him say he was good. Maybe you should stop watching football and follow a sport you actually understand. Try something easy. Because you don't know anything about football. Maybe bad mitten. Or Bob sledding.

K'OB and matt robinson 17 like this.
  4. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

nice guy.....but slightly better than average QB. NFL arm. Needed everything to go right for him - protection, open receivers, pocket to throw.

there were several games in 85 and 86 where things did go well and the jets looked very good on O. In 87 and 88 the failure to improve and replace the o line was the eventual dagger.

Marino and kelly had much better pocket presence and obviously more nimble on foot. But the dolphins and bills for the most part had good off lines and better offensive systems for their Qb's.

5. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Why are you even here, you absolute weirdo?

Fucking 'PENALTIES' you dumb fuck, are you going for the world record in different ways to spell that word in one evening?

As for seeing him play, it is evident that you have no understanding of football whatsoever if you think Kleko was a bad player, this just makes you dumb as fuck.

In fact, you're so dumb I'm going to just laugh at you some more :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D ah fuck it that isn't enough

[​IMG]

One more maybe

[​IMG]

6. K'OB

[​IMG]

J-Raw24 likes this.
  7. J-Raw24

J-Raw24 Well-Known Member

That maybe to complicated

K'OB likes this.
  8. #28Martin

#28Martin Well-Known Member

Ken O’Brien with Wesley Walker and Al Toon were my favorite players. O’Brien from 1985-1986 was awesome. He even won a AFC Offensive Player of the Year Award in 1985. Great thrower. Problem is he held the ball too long, fearing picks and got hit too much plus their OL sucked as the years went on and he wasn’t a good runner. Bottom line is he became gun shy and went from an elite level QB from 1985-1986 to ordinary very quickly.

The Dark Knight and mrjet80 like this.
  9. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Great highlights! Love the Take on Me music too. What a season to be a Jets fan!
    You guys derailed the thread for a little bit, but you are @K'OB, so I am pretty sure you can do anything you want in this thread! :D
    Wish I could have seen him play too!

matt robinson 17 and K'OB like this.
  10. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Kenny O at his best!

NFL has some nerve still claiming this video after more than 30 years.. These were the Jets that made me a lifelong fan!

11. jetsfan61

jetsfan61 New Member

Obey was a statue, tough as nails would take hit after hit. Quiet leader, great team mate, accurate arm. 86 when they ran off 10 wins by week 11it looked like it was our year. Then dropped the last 5 (thanks Paul McGuire, true oldtime fans inside joke). I met him and a bunch of players at some business functions. McNeil told me that if Walt Michaels stayed as coach they would have won at least one Superbowl.

Some great players

O'Brian
    McNeil
    Walker
    Toon
    Shuler
    Gastaneau
    Lyons
    Klecko
    Mehl

12. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

One of my favorite Ken Obrien highlights is the play where against the Browns in the mid 80's he threw a would-be interception that looked like a complete disaster, and as the Browns DB is in the process of happily gathering it into his arms all of a sudden Kurt Sohn just comes out of nowhere, rapes the guy, takes the ball away, AND proceeds to plow it in for a Jets TD. lol!

Good fortune like that rarely happens in Jet-land anymore.

NCJetsfan, jetophile and K'OB like this.
  13. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Thank you for the memories Cman. O’Brien, Walker, Toon, Shuler, so many great, great and under rated players.

donkey, K'OB, The Dark Knight and 2 others like this.
  14. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

Could've fooled me! It's :mad:! WHAT AM I DOING HERE? WHERE DID I COME FROM? DOES GOD HAVE A PLAN FOR ME! WHAT DOES IT ALL MEAN? I just saw a religious commercial that asked those questions! What kind of an idiot registers on a religious website looking for answers! There's only two! One is answered with another question! Honey did you take out the garbage! The other is one is :mad:!

Signed,
    -Mrs. championjets69 :mad:

15. The Dark Knight

Even get a few Dick Enberg "Oh My!"'s in there. Love it!

16. LogeSection2RowJ

LogeSection2RowJ Well-Known Member

I probably saw every Ken O’Brien Jets home game in person. I’ll start with the best thing I can say about a Jets player: He seemed to step his game up to a higher level vs. Miami. I admire him for that. When they drafted him as an unknown in THE FIRST round before Dan Marino, he had a lot to overcome. He showed us he belonged. Now for the bad news kids. I don’t think I ever felt the Jets went into a game with an advantage because of him. He did have great games, but they were unexpected surprises. My brother and I used to joke “Ken O’Brien looks at his receivers, feels they’re not open enough, then chooses to fall into the arms of the defender who will hurt him the least”. The term “Happy Feet” was used to describe him. I’m not even sure what that meant other than the nervousness he felt with defenders around him. Don’t be fooled into thinking the sack numbers were due to poor pass blocking. The offensive line in those days were not horrible. Back then the Jets would still spend a high pick on that position every year. The line may not have been D’Brick, Mangold, Faneca, Woody quality but was certainly better than these past few years. Lastly, I never felt a desire to own a Ken O’Brien Jets Jersey - and I owned a Richard Todd. That says a lot. I’ll end with a positive since I was at that great 51-45 game. O’Brien was great at times, and performed better than expected overall, but he was not a top tier Jets QB.

The Dark Knight likes this.
  17. K'OB

That play is in the 85 highlight video i posted earlier in the thread it is the second last highlight I think :)

Pepsiguy5 and The Dark Knight like this.
  18. The Dark Knight

Nice post. Seems like a pretty unbiased analysis of O'Brien. I find it interesting because I never hear fans talk about him much. Then I looked at his stats and some highlights, including that 51-45 game you were lucky enough to be at, and I think to myself "This guy seems pretty good." So this thread has shown me a lot thanks to the great fans at TGG. I did not realize he was just thrown out similar to Pennington in 2008, thanks to @matt robinson 17 for explaining that. The Jets don't exactly have a history of treating their QB's right. Even throwing Sanchez to the wolves in the 2013 pre-season.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  19. K'OB

You see the row it caused?

Now you know why he doesn't get talked about :D

The Dark Knight likes this.
  20. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

2003 to 2005. Real hope, 3 Chad injuries in 3 years.

Unfreaking believable.

Pepsiguy5, NCJetsfan, K'OB and 3 others like this.