I Have A Feeling I Would Have Loved Ken O'Brien

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by The Dark Knight, May 14, 2020.

1. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

So really, only the 70's were bad for the Jets. The 60's they won the Super Bowl, the 80's seemed pretty strong and they made the AFC Championship, the 90's started bad, but ended with an AFC Championship appearance, 00's were mostly solid, ending with an AFC Championship appearance, 10's started off with an AFC Championship appearance, but were terrible after that. Now we are in the 20's.

2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I don't think I've ever said anything negative to or about championjets69, but if he really said that joe klecko sucked he should get permanently banned from this site for stupidity and ignorance.

matt robinson 17 likes this.
  3. NCJetsfan

Robinson was traded to Denver and did jack with Denver. He looked good for part of one season, and proved to be a flash in the pan.

4. NCJetsfan

No, hell, he wasn't!. I swear I wonder if some of you guys know jack shit about football.

matt robinson 17 and mrjet80 like this.
  5. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

Cut down on int’s

6. NCJetsfan

Gotta disagree with you. I don't think leaving Shea was a mistake at all. I've never liked football games being played in a baseball stadium and have to contend with the dirt infields. The swirling winds at Shea and seeing the Key Foods plastic grocery bags in the wind there was always crappy. The mistake was going in with the Giants at the dump in the Meadowlands. That cheap bastard Hess should have built a stadium for the Jets, but AFAIK, never even considered it. Leaving Hofstra was a mistake, and yes after proclaiming that he was going to finally build the Jets their own stadium, Woody Johnson screwed the pooch. He didn't do his homework, didn't come up with a Plan B for the Jets to still have their own stadium at the old Racetrack in Westchester Co. or in Rockland Co., but instead re-upping with the hated Giants.

mrjet80 likes this.
  7. NCJetsfan

Continually taking sacks and getting the crap beat out of your QB was better? He could have thrown the ball out of bounds, and there wouldn't have been any interceptions, either.

8. matt robinson 17

Well said

9. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

Well......not so fast. LOL. Yes they won the SB in 1968 but the team was only good from about 1966-69. It was kind of a short run thanks mainly to Namath's injuries which took him out of most of 1970-71. They really blew their shot at back to back SB victories with that lousy KC playoff loss in 1969. They had four attempts from the one yard line to punch it in for the lead late in the game and had to settle for the tying FG instead. The goal line stand shocked KC back to life and they scored the game's only TD two plays later. Had the Jets survived and found a way to win out in Oakland there's no doubt in my mind they would of handled the Vikings. Hell, the next season they whipped them without Namath...…

The 70s were a lost cause particularly the mid 70s. The 80s were ok up until the players strike in 1987. Remember the Jets went from 1987-97 with only one playoff appearance in 1991 at 8-8. From the fake spike game through 1996 the Jets won a total of 4 games. They had a few .500 seasons from 1988-1993 with some individual good games here and there but as a whole not very good.

Beginning in 1997 when the Jets went out and got Parcells the team had their longest run of relevance for a good 13-14 years. No SBs but 3 AFC Title games and a lot of playoff appearances - their only bad seasons were injury related.

#249 mrjet80, May 18, 2020
    Last edited: May 18, 2020
  10. mrjet80

I really think the doofus was so elated at the idea that the Jets would no longer be the Giants tenants that any arrangement would be better. Now the Jets and Giants are " co owners " - a step up in the world.....he really really didn't think that decision through.....

NCJetsfan likes this.
  11. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Yeah, good points. Just trying to say there have been some good moments and bright spots in each decade of being a Jets fan. Definitely low points in each decade too, but seems like the 80's and 00's were pretty good. Also reminds me that 2012-2019 really was horrendous, with the only bright spot being 2015, yet that ended terribly too. I think if they properly surround Sam with talent and protection they can have another strong decade in the 20's! :)

12. LogeSection2RowJ

LogeSection2RowJ Well-Known Member

Huh? They were both never on the same Jets field, practice or otherwise as far as I know. Do you mean O'Brien wasn't officially released yet and they had Boomer grinning holding up a number 7 Jets jersey? Then, yeah I agree. Otherwise Boomer was quite established and should not be made to change his number here.

13. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

I dunno NC.. Shea had character. Looking back from a 21st century perspective, playing with swirling winds and a infield sucks. But back then, The Jets weren't the only team sharing a bb park. The winds at Shea were notorious and the Jets actually had a home field advantage. Moreso than they have now. Moving in with the Giants was the football equivalent of moving into your parents' basement. I have been saying for years that the old Yonkers Raceway site should have been the location instead of the West Side. Now we have to still live in the basement at MetLife. A place so devoid of character that on TV, it just looks like fans are just going thru the motions. Now I don't know if that's a function of the new "Corporate Fan" but it does seem as if the old diehard fans were left out and the focus was on PSL buyers. None of this matters anymore since the Jets are at MetLife for another generation.

I won't live long enough to see the Jets in their own stadium. Perhaps some of the younger fans here will.

14. mrjet80

No he means the former. Esiason was signed as a FA and given #7 with O’Brien still on the roster although it was a given he was going to be let go. Regardless a classless move. Those 90s teams prior to Parcells arrival were a jumbled, leaderless, classless mess.

#254 mrjet80, May 18, 2020
    Last edited: May 18, 2020
  15. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

I doubt any of us will, it’s too financially reasonable to share a stadium. Huge cost cuts in maintenance and in the initial building. Any city that fields 2 teams will surely share a stadium from here on out, the precedent is set.

16. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

You made an incredible dumb comment. By you guys you mean you guy. The lack of respect one of only two Jets who were 3 time pro bowl players get on this board is insane. He was the heart and soul of the 83 team that got fucked by Shula. RIP.

Klecko wasn't remotely close to the greatest Jet of all time. He's a border line HOF player who played a position where there was a ton of NFL talent and too many of them had the luxury of playing on winning teams that actually won Championships.

17. matt robinson 17

Shea was the last time we had a home field advantage, 63,000 maniacs every Sunday, the stadium shook

#257 matt robinson 17, May 19, 2020
    Last edited: May 19, 2020
    K'OB likes this.
  18. matt robinson 17

Coslet and Kotite were worse than Walton, Parcells turned us around then quit on us before Vinny even hit the turf with his torn achilles

19. matt robinson 17

The highlight of the early 70's was the season they started 1-7 then reeled off 6 straight wins to finish 7-7

20. matt robinson 17

Wrestling with Gastineau hurt his thumb and tried to play with it pissed off Walt Mchaels, he had a good career in the USFL