I hate the free agents we are looking at...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by hotcoles87123, Mar 11, 2006.

1. Kris 15

Kris 15 Well-Known Member

In hindsight they were bad signings. and after we sign a guy like Bentley, which leaves us with no room to bring in any more O-linemen, and after we sign a guy like Arrington, which leaves us with no room to help the rest of the D, and we're just as bad next year as we were this year, those will look like bad signings, too.

2. AMJets

AMJets Well-Known Member

Are you serious? If we had cut Pennington instead of restructuring him, we would have saved $3M dollars. He would have cost $15M against the cap under is original deal, but by cutting him his $12M bonus accelerates, and the net cap hit is a savings of $3M, meaning we have $3M more money to use. We would also then never have to pay Pennington a cent again.

3. hotcoles87123

hotcoles87123 Banned

What good will they do even if they did sign a deal like that? We are the worst team in the NFL, and a few vets who are way past their prime are not going to do it in one year. This is a rebuilding process. by the time we have a solid team, will have other holes to fill because we signed old vets.

4. AMJets

AMJets Well-Known Member

What do you mean "not going to do it in one year"? If you think these veterans are being brought in to compete this year, then you need to study the history of Belichick. Actually, you could just try re-reading this thread, because people have been trying to help you understand this point for a while now.

5. hotcoles87123

hotcoles87123 Banned

OK- Bently was overpaid-- I didn't say i would give the guy 36 million, but I don't think LA will really get that big a contract-- also, I'm a PSU Grad, so don't fault me for wanting him. But regardless, with the CBA extention, and trading ABE, we would have more than enough to sign those two, and all our rookies with no problems.

6. Kris 15

I feel like I'm repeating myself now.

1. You sign the vets to hold down the fort for a couple of years.
    2. You draft.
    3. By the time the vets move on, the guys you drafted are ready to play full time.

If you draft poorly, the rebuilding process is stalled. Therefore, the draft is extremely important.

And who said anything about fixing the team in one year?

7. hotcoles87123

hotcoles87123 Banned

Dude- if we bring in those vets- we will NOT draft rookies on those positions- so your theory about them helping develop the rookies is BS. unless you think we are going to sign McGinist and Von Olhoffen, and then draft hawk, and gabe Watson. Who would these guys be teaching? Vilma? barton? Robertson? Ellis?

8. AMJets

AMJets Well-Known Member

Join the club. :rofl2:

9. AMJets

AMJets Well-Known Member

Again, you're arguing with what Belichick has done in the past. He has brought in veterans who know the system to hold down the fort to help with younger guys. If you think Mangini would bring in veterans for any other reason, I'm not sure what to tell you that others haven't been trying to tell you for a while now.

10. hotcoles87123

hotcoles87123 Banned

Look at our most successful turn around in recent history.

It did not involve any old vets. Barton, Barrett, McCareins, and drafted Vilma, Coleman Strait.

3 young FA and the draft- and the Team went from 6-10 to a kick away from the AFC Championship. I like that model- not the one or two year guy to fill a hole. I want a guy who will play well for a few years. Not a guy who has one foot in his retirement home.

11. AMJets

AMJets Well-Known Member

Are you serious?

I mean, can you not read or something?

Yeah, that has to be it. I mean, no one could ignore the fact that this is a totally different system that is being run, and this is something that people have been saying on here, unless they had trouble with their reading and comprehension skills...

12. hotcoles87123

hotcoles87123 Banned

What younger guys will McGinist and von olhoffen help. I want to hear them. Who on our current team, and who from the draft.

13. AMJets

AMJets Well-Known Member

We will have to wait and see what is done in this year's draft, and in the future. Many system guys that fit in the Belichick defense are not big names that you would know about. There could be a LB they like in round 4 or 5 that they could draft because he is similar to McGinest, and he can help him fit in this system.

But to ignore what Mangini's mentor has done in the past is ridiculous. Mangini is following the same steps that Belichick did early on in New England. Do you think that Mangini will just totally branch off from what is mentor did once he brings in these veterans? I didn't think so.

14. Kris 15

That's EXACTLY what you do. You don't wait until you have no one at the position to draft at an area of need. You have to think ahead of time. Look at what the Eagles do, and they hardly ever sign high priced FAs. Theye compete every year that way. Save for last year, when the team imploded due to -- you guessed it -- a high priced vet. Unfortunately, our old FO never thought ahead of time, which is why our O-line is in shambles, and the D-line is so thin. Now we're pressed to find vets who can produce, and younger players for the long term.

15. Kris 15

Barrett and Barton were not high priced. If you can show me some guys on their level who are out there right now, who can be had for a similar price, I'm all for it. However Bentley and Arrington are not the same.

16. hotcoles87123

hotcoles87123 Banned

again- what players will these vets be mentoring. just answer it. You said that is why the will come in right? To help mentor the rookies. Now, what rookies are you talking about.

i understand this is a new system, but bringing in quality youth works in any system. Don't make me go over the Pats Line and secondary again either, becuase that whole, "rookies don't play well in the bellicheck system" argument just didn't work that well did it.

17. AMJets

AMJets Well-Known Member

I just posted what they might do in the draft. Do you just ignore certain things that don't fit your agenda?

Yeah we went over the Pats line and secondary. None of them played large roles in the defense until their second year, once they had a full year to digest what was being asked of them. The only guy who did was Wilson, and he was not nearly as good in his rookie year as he was his second year. Hobbs in his first year was forced in and wasn't good. So yeah, that argument didn't work out that well for you at all.

18. Kris 15

I didn't say anything about "mentoring". I said they'd fill a void while the players we draft develop. Remember when they shoved Robertson into the starting lineup, and how badly he struggled? That's what happens when you have no vets to fall back on. Big part of the reason why our defense underachieved in 2003. A few of our rookies worked out, but you can't rely on rookies stepping right in and producing.

19. hotcoles87123

hotcoles87123 Banned

if we trade abe, thats 8.3 million-- LA and bently would probbaly be right around that number combined. I know it's a weak argument, but I really don't like many FA this year, becuase there are not that many guys who fit that description that I said I like. That DT from the ravens would have been ok, Toni Fonotu would be ok. I agree, those other two guys are not exactly cheap, but they will be able to play at a probowl level for a long time.

20. hotcoles87123

hotcoles87123 Banned

So the rookies didn't play well in the Pats system? i remember them winning a SB with a bunch of no names in the secondary when Ty Law and Will poole were out.