I guess it's now fair to say Joe is a genius

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BudJet, Jul 26, 2020.

1. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

Until we win the Superbowl how can you call anyone a genius?

2. phill1c

phill1c Member

No offense, but how stupid do you have to be to say ANYTHING Jets is "lucky". We have the worst luck in football history.

No, it wasn't luck, it was knowing his job. I mean, was it "lucky" that the 9ers drafted Jerry Rice? You make your own luck. And, believe me, if Mims hadn't been there, he had a backup plan. That said, I think we have to temper the trade one little bit: the 1st rounders are closer to 2nd rounders. But they have the distinct potential to become more first-y. Seattle was desperate. That's the luck there.

3. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

I have the feeling that any draft pick after the third round this coming spring will be like just another free agent. It's going to be a weird draft after a year of no football which became much more of a reality today.

4. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

You really think it will take Braden Mann 2yrs to shank a punt??? Cool!

5. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

we'll see. but i still expect a subpar season. realize the headwinds with covid and the uncertainties but its a hard schedule without proper camp. not good when u have new OL personnel.

6. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I respectfully disagree that JD took two high-risk players in Becton and Mims. Mekhi Becton is not a high-risk player! Neither is Denzel Mims, and JD even traded down acquiring extra picks and then took Mims. The draft is a crap shoot, almost any player in the draft can bust. In Becton and Mims, JD took two players at positions of great need, who are very talented, have great potential, have great character and work ethics, and who had a great deal of production in college. Draft picks don't get much safer than that. The risks of Becton were overstated by a few naysayers here and perhaps in the media. If you saw him play at Louisville, heard him in interviews and heard others speak about him, you knew you were getting someone who wasn't going to be fat and lazy and eat himself out of the league within a few years.

I understand your caution. In general, it's wise to not count one's chickens before they hatch, but in the Jets' case it's even pretty foolish to do so based on our history and on the Johnson hiring history. That said, I feel very confident about JD. He is the first hire that they've made since Parcells and one of the 2-3 in history that was widely acclaimed and thought to be the best possible candidate for the job. Usually, Jets hires have left people scratching their heads or shaking their heads and laughing while asking "Who?"

7. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

Nobody is forcing you to log onto this website.

BleedingGreen55 and NCJetsfan like this.
  8. Longsuffering88

Longsuffering88 Well-Known Member

I’m obviously going to jump the gun

it always more fun and mysterious when ppl make bold predictions.

joe knows his shit.

will he be 100 for 100? No

but this kid knows

How did we score him?

Probs

9. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

If half our picks are major contributors then Joe D is already ahead of his predecessors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

your being kind.

11. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

Totally agree. The 49ers traded up just to take Rice. Smart move, not luck.

boozer32 likes this.
  12. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Says the guy trolling.

egelband and tomdeb like this.
  13. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Rarely been good also. We are long overdue for some luck and winning again regulary.

Cman68 likes this.
  14. Linebacker712

Linebacker712 Well-Known Member

He's at least shrewd and is making an attempt at playing moneyball and finding the right pieces for this team. I can't really knock his strategy; what remains to be seen is if his eye for talent is good.

15. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

In JD's first draft he had the benefit of a team with a ton (shit ton!!) of holes to fill. When he rolled the dice trading down 10 spots and still got Mimms, he was able to take the gamble b/c if Mimms was gone, there were other big holes to try and fill with some other highly rated player. If Mimms were gone JD coulda taken another big name guard/tackle for the Oline, or the best pass rusher still on the board. Or the best DB still out there.

That's the luxury of having so many holes, and JD took full advantage.

If we were a better team that needed one player to push up over the top, JD woulda been forced to trade up or whatever to get that one player, then pray he works out.

I also like the way JD didn't use late round picks (4,5,6,7) hoping to get a diamond in the rough day one starter. He used those picks on back ups (QB), punters, xtra lineman, etc. The lone flyer he took was on Brice Hall (CB).

LogeSection2RowJ likes this.
  16. phill1c

phill1c Member

HIs eyes and his staff's eyes. I mean, how can it be that we have had such poor eyes for talent for so long? Seems like even the average fan could do better than we've done recently.

boozer32 likes this.
  17. LogeSection2RowJ

LogeSection2RowJ Well-Known Member

Sadly it doesn't take very much to be a Jets-genius. I have complete faith in JD. I have to.

boozer32 likes this.
  18. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

Trading away a great player (Adams) and letting the #1 WR walk out the door while having tons of cap room makes me think he might need glasses.

Time will tell about his plan.

19. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

The team needs to win football games, make the playoffs, win division titles, Super Bowl ultimately that's what it's all about.

That's his bulletproof vest.

The name of the game isn't aquiring the most draft picks or the most talent or this winning culture mumbo jumbo or his style or whatever.

It's about building a TEAM correction a WINNING TEAM. The Patriots with the exception of 2007 haven't been known for having the most talented team around but they're the Patriots because they always find a way to win more than they lose.

We've had regimes here Bradway-Herm, Tannenbaum-Mangini, Tannenbaum-Rex that experienced much early success, playoff appearances but after a time it didn't end well for them or us.

NY can be a very unstable, unforgiving market. The Johnsons have proven to be fickle owners.

With one of the most difficult schedules in the league in 2020 and the players we've lost this offseason the Jets playoffsless streak doesn't look like it'll end in 2020. That said Brady is no longer in New England and the Pats have several key players that opted out. Buffalo hasn't yet established itself as the team to beat in the division and Miami is still a few years away.

So the division is wide open, the opportunity to steal a division title is there. Losing Adams & Robby doesn't help the Jets chances of doing that that's on Douglas.

No excuses. Go win some games. Surprise us like the Jets did in 2015.

20. LeonNYJ

LeonNYJ Well-Known Member

No genius until Super Bowl is won.

Cman68 likes this.