I can't justify buying a new car... Help me

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by Brook!, Feb 18, 2023.

1. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

Try to stay away car like this.[​IMG]

2. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

The other thing is you get the required maintenance idiot lights that seem to go off every three months.

barfolomew and typeOnegative13NY like this.
  3. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

My "check engine light" has been on for the past 80,000 miles :)

barfolomew likes this.
  4. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

Ha. That's likely because you didn't screw the gas cap on properly one time six months ago. That should be real easy to reset, unless you drive something exotic.

This is a complete trick to get you back into the service department so they can bend you over some more.

72 Plymouth Satellite still the best car I ever had.

stinkyB and barfolomew like this.
  5. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

How do you get it to pass emissions? Mine was in and they wouldn’t pass it in Jersey.

6. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

They did away with emissions inspections in Florida back in the 1990s

typeOnegative13NY likes this.
  7. typeOnegative13NY

typeOnegative13NY Well-Known Member

None here in sc either. There was a time where inspections would probably have eliminated 70% of the cars on the road here.

stinkyB likes this.
  8. stinkyB

No inspections here as Waterboy said.... but I did have the code read and looked it up "EGR error code" "Exhaust Gas Recirculation Valve

So after a lil interweb research I figured I'd tackle it myself (the car didn't operate any differently)... after taking off the intake manifold to get to it, I saw it was a tiny rubber hose had a hole worn through (it was bent in a weird way, so I'm sure that had an affect, not a great design)... rode my bike to the auto parts store to get my .50 piece of hose.

Put it all back...voila. No more warning light. 6 months later check engine light came back on. It was the same error code. I said fuckit and left it..... that was almost 10 years ago.

9. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

A dirty intake or throttle body housing can cause all kinds of stupid ass error codes. Edit: Actually only a few error codes but they are codes that could be caused by 100 different things so you end up changing the wrong thing half the time when all you needed was some sensor cleaner sprayed into it. Seems like they are designed that way

stinkyB likes this.
  10. stinkyB

Yeah, basically the "EGR valve" recycles a tiny amount of exhaust back into the intake (I say tiny based on the diameter of the hose).... so I know it probably wouldnt pass a strict emission inspection, but in reality I cant see how it really does much of anything.

also, for people with older cars, a trick to get the code lights off temporarily is to disconnect the battery for a day and let everything charge down.... and you can tap the 2 leads together. It'll probably come back eventually but you can get a few days ;)

11. bicketybam

BMW's are good cars especially the imaginary ones. Those last forever.

12. Savatage

Savatage Well-Known Member

My wife just got a '23 X6, it's pretty sweet.

barfolomew and abyzmul like this.
  13. bicketybam

My buddy is a huge BMW guy. He had an E46 M3 that he sold because it was coming due for a timing chain that cost a fortune. The guy who bought it knew all about it and he still blew the engine a 1000 miles later.

I'd only buy an M series and as of late they are underwhelming. But like I said, the imaginary ones are the best. They last forever!

Savatage likes this.
  14. barfolomew

barfolomew Well-Known Member

You like it? I dont think id ever buy another one. Too many mechanical and electrical issues. Too expensive to repair. I don't know what ill buy next. Maybe a lesser Porsche

15. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Ohio doesnt have inspection either. Back in the day they didn't have insurance requirements. I lived there briefly, I only had a few bucks to my name but I bought a pile of shit car, paid a couple dollars for a plate and that's it I was in business

typeOnegative13NY likes this.
  16. bicketybam

Just a shitty time to buy a new car. My wife is due for a car but we just don't want to get ripped off. I'd love to buy an electric and I'd even put in the proper infrastructure at my home to charge it but they are all lacking in the range department. They also don't like to start when it's really cold out. It seems like hydrid is the way to go and it needs to be AWD and a sedan.

17. typeOnegative13NY

typeOnegative13NY Well-Known Member

Here, lose your license for dwi, just grab a moped lol.

BrowningNagle likes this.
  18. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Hey guys.

Thanks to your wise advice, I ended up spending only $859 changing all 4 rotors and break pads. Front and back. I also had them take out the tires, scrap the Hub to get rid of frictions between tire and the hub. Car now goes very smoothly. Next will be to change the motor pump and some other maintenance and I should drive my Accord all the way to 200K miles without hiccups. I will save my hard earned money and invest into Jets season tickets once we sign Carr or Rodgers.

Bickety

Wait for 3-4 more years for Electric cars. Not enough infrastructure to support a proper maintenance. Technology is also new. My friend who works at Mercedes tells me to wait 3-4 more years.

stinkyB, barfolomew and bicketybam like this.
  19. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Do you go to a dealer or local mechanic?

20. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Local guy. He charged me half of what Honda dealer asked. Do you still think what I paid is high?

stinkyB and barfolomew like this.