I can't justify buying a new car... Help me

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by Brook!, Feb 18, 2023.

1. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Driving a 9 year old Honda Accord which I purchased cash as a new car from the Honda dealer in my town. It is at 120K miles right now. I gotta spend around $2K to fix the break issues and in around a year I gotta replace all 4 tires.

Shall I continue maintaining it or look to buy a new one with extra warranties etc.

Help me folks will ya

2. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

Yeah the prices of vehicles have gone nutso. It's a Honda... take care of it and you have 200K more to go ;) *

Tires go bad on EVERY car so that doesnt count..... but 2K for brakes seems excessive to me

*FTR I'm still driving the same Nissan Frontier I purchased new in September...... ...of 2000 :D

Leicester Jet and Brook! like this.
  3. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

120K miles is not a lot for a Honda.
    $2K seems like a lot for a brake repair.

But I'm the last guy to ask... my daily driver for 15 years was a 1938 Chevy... :confused:
    It would probably be cheaper to keep her...

Brook! likes this.
  4. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

I'm going to echo the sentiments so far. Keep it but shop around for a better deal on brakes. $2k is ridiculous.

#4 bicketybam, Feb 18, 2023
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2023
    Leicester Jet, stinkyB and Brook! like this.
  5. Brook!

Sorry guys. I should have said break job and other things. So you guys say maintain it and continue driving it.

barfolomew likes this.
  6. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

On the other hand... the new Bentley GT is a sweet ride. ;)

[​IMG]

barfolomew likes this.
  7. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

The price of cars right now is so irrational. You can’t buy a hunk of shit for less than $5,000. And I’m talking about 180K miles with eroding metal.

Stick with what you got. As the guys said, you should be able to get to 200K. Honda parts are cheap too.

stinkyB and Brook! like this.
  8. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

Shop for a cerified pre-owned low mileage car with an excellent warranty. You'll be getting a better than decent car - gently used and/or practically brand new - and somebody else will have already eaten the depreciation. I'm just about in the same boat as you are right now and I'll be pulling the trigger when the right opportunity presents.

I ran into something that had 26K miles on it, a 100K miles or 7 years warranty, but it was more than I had earmarked to spend. That being said, the car was only 1.5 years old. New model was 18K more just to drive it off the lot.

If you're patient, those cars are out there. No way I'm ever buying a new car again. Good luck!

P.S.: Don't let some scumbag car dealer try to shove a car with 80,000 miles on you with a 3 year or 36K mile warranty. Regardless, your first question after how many miles is on it is what's the warranty.

Brook! likes this.
  9. Brook!

Thanks guys. A close friend who is also Turkish and I am his designated legal guardian for his daughter in case he and his wife dies is working at a dealership. Thanks to him I can buy a new car for $2500 under Invoice and they are paying $6,700 for my Honda as trade in.

Making the payments for new car won’t be a problem for me but really can’t justify making car payments regardless of how high or low it is.

Wife thinks I am crazy and that safety is very important with how crazy I drive. The Honda I have doesn’t have any safety features like Lane Assist, Blind Spot Warning and Automatic slowing down with distracted driving.

barfolomew likes this.
  10. Brook!

Thanks Jeto. I looked at Certified Pre Owned, they are so highly priced it almost forces me into buying a new one.

11. jetophile

Keep looking. They stop shoveling you bullshit when you say that you have excellent credit, you want out of the loan as soon as humanly possible, you'll probably get your own financing, and you're looking to put down a big chunk of money as down payment and pay it off in two years.

All of it or some of it can be a lie, all of it or some of it can be true, but that's what you should say.

Brook! likes this.
  12. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

A bunch of crap for people who can't drive. lol

13. Brook!

Lol. I am one of them. I had like what 7 fenders benders in 19 years that I am living in United States.

14. jetophile

Here's a huge tip. I'm always thinking on my feet, and I've actually done this before. You can't buy a car with a credit card, right? Wrong. You can . . . indirectly . . . and here's how. Disclaimer: this only works if you have sterling credit.

Put your money down, get your loan, whatever kind of shit you have to do. You have to make at least ONE loan payment. Then, you apply for the best 0% credit card deal that you can find. Unfortunately, they are much harder to come by than they used to be, but I did come across something very recently that was 0% for 18 months.

So, once you find your credit card deal you do a BALANCE TRANSFER. These days you generally pay 3% of the total amt of the transfer or a set fee of $300 (or less). In reality, the bank doesn't give a shit how you pay off that car loan as long as they get their money. However, they will lie to your face that you can't do this because they want the interest over the life of the loan. Trust me, you can, because I've fucking done it and I plan on doing it again, AS SOON AS I FIND MY CAR DEAL.

What you CAN'T do is buy the car outright with a credit card because you can't buy something unsecured with something unsecured. What you CAN do is BALANCE TRANSFER the loan amount and shut that loan down and get out of it.

This is only a great option for people who 1) have a decent chunk to put down and 2) have great credit and know that they can put a lot of "principal" down every month at 0% and beat the clock before the 0% promo expires (and a high interest rate kicks in) . . . or . . . drumroll . . . balance transfer it to another 0% card and pay another balance transfer fee (so WHAT, it's WORTH it).

I did this back when there were NO 0% car loans at ALL and auto loan rates were at 8% or some shit. After that, there were 0% loans for years and now there are none to be had.

The last thing this is is a buyer's market, but that doesn't mean you can't play hard ball on top of the fact that inventory for new or used is for shit. Anyway, I hope this helps someone.

Brook! likes this.
  15. JackBower

JackBower Well-Known Member

I was looking for a used truck and it's insane the prices of used cars are right now.

2k is probably not even enough to get a down payment on a lease these days. I'd just get the car fixed if you feel good about it lasting another 120k plus miles

barfolomew and Jonathan_Vilma like this.
  16. Jonathan_Vilma

I wouldn’t go near a CPO right now unless you need a car quick. That’s the one market that has gotten price gauged the worst because of the chip shortage. New cars have such a long lead time that dealers have enticed folks to buy certified pre-owned so that they can sell it today, not in 6 months.

I would guess car salesmen are the same as any sales position. You don’t get paid until you bill. They want you driving off the lot today so they can get their commission rather than waiting six months for the factory to ship a new red 2023 Honda Civic.

I’m not big on electric cars for anything more than efficiency. I don’t see gas ever going down really and would like to make my next car electric. I just think the technology is a couple years away from being where it sure in terms of range and other stuff. Competition in the market should fix that.

stinkyB and Brook! like this.
  17. Leicester Jet

Leicester Jet Well-Known Member

Dealers love to sell this sort of crap, its costs them a few hundred dollars but they can jack the price up by thousands.

To my way of thinking its just more unnecessary things to go wrong!

barfolomew, stinkyB and Brook! like this.
  18. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

Buy a car is stupid right now. Prices are hyper inflated. I've been to a few dealerships and they all have an extra fee added to their vehicles called "market adjustment" where they are sticking an extra $5-10k onto the price just because they can.

Then even with a credit score above 800, interest rates are still above 8%.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

dawinner127 and barfolomew like this.
  19. JackBower

JackBower Well-Known Member

Fun tip if you live in the northeast, or just somewhere that gets very cold.

During severe cold electric cars do not start. I'm talking like 0 degrees before wind chill

barfolomew and Brook! like this.
  20. Jonathan_Vilma

Yup. That’s one of many reasons why they’re just not ready for prime time yet.