I Believe

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by xxedge72x, Oct 9, 2009.

1. jnjoewilly

jnjoewilly New Member

I dissagree. it doesn't weaken his post. he believes. we have as good a chance as the other 31 teams at this point. will we be in the superbowl? prolly not but he believes we have a chance to get there this year.

I also won't be surprised if our offense doesn't have it's own lil swagger by the end of regular season play.

It all hinges on Schott proving his ability cause the talent is there for him.

2. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I have to say, your enthusiasm is infectious, edge. I didn't see the defense coming. I expected them to be this good, but never expected them to be that good out of the gate. There's something to be said for the effect that Bart Scott, Jimmy Leonhard, and Marquez Douglas have had transferring knowledge over to not only the defensive leadership, but also the role players.

And after watching the defense closely on a partial re-watch of the Saints game, they still aren't what you would call 'there' yet. Which is amazing. The defense has still been caught a number of times with their pants around their ankles in terms of communicating assignments, yet they keep making plays. I am so excited to see them all on the same page, with a roster full of healthy starters, no less. Hopefully that can be this weekend. When they murder the Dolphins.

The offense... well, Sanchez is a rookie. He was able to overcome a ton of adversity in the first few weeks, but rookies are rookies, especially QB rooks. Their instincts at the pro level aren't finely honed enough to take advantage of most situations, and they have to be nudged along. During the Saints game, Sanchez wasn't even tricked with very deceptive defenses, the looks that he threw picks for were pretty much base defenses that read his eyes. That's something that can be fixed, not in one season, but maybe overcome to the point where we can challenge late into the post-season.

Special Teams will always be a top unit in the league, as long as Westy is coaching them. Not much else to say about that.

But... I am going to have to see some real domination from the middle part of the season on through week 14 before I will get anywhere close to thinking about a Super Bowl at this juncture.

3. gustoonarmy

gustoonarmy 2006-2007 TGG.com Best International Poster of the

Screw jinx's and all that shit, the Jets now laugh in the face of that crap.
    Not sure about the O yet, but they look to be on fast track and potentially one of the most explosive Os in the NFL.
    The interesting part about Edge's post is this new found belief that I have not seen EVER since being a Jets fan. We have had the SOJs, usually reserved for sunshiners once they give up on the season. Darksiders, perennial doom and gloom merchants who are usually long standing fans that have witnessed are best and worst moments and like it or not, have given up on ever witnessing greatness again.
    Well, we have a newborn in the house, the believer. I'm definitely one, Edge is and so are alot more ex-darksiders....are you?
    Great post Edge , why am I not on your elite list? WSW and 'Byz are piss-pots :smile:

4. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

Haha thanks Gus... I definitely consider you elite as well too. If I posted every person I think is an elite poster I'd probably succeed in pissing off more people than I complement...

5. gustoonarmy

gustoonarmy 2006-2007 TGG.com Best International Poster of the

:wink:

Just feels great to be a Jets fan.

6. rscherwin

rscherwin Well-Known Member

Love it, solid thought process.

Question for the OP: what rational thought would have made you feel this way before the season?

7. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

Edge, you're on pace for that 12-4 season you predicted.

My sig will still pay tribute if it happens.

8. xxedge72x

9. xxedge72x

I actually hope I've underrated this team and that they do better! :wink:

10. abyzmul

I think you should have taken the 'wait and see' approach a little longer before you made this thread.

11. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

X made the argument out of conviction and faith. I still hope X is right and after 6 games and even with Jenkins down this team can rebound.

12. sackexchange

sackexchange Well-Known Member

Let this be a lesson. Let there be no signs of hope, happiness or faith in this team until week 15 at the earliest!!

13. abyzmul

I think the defense can rebound, but our depth is for shit in all areas, apparently even the wideouts. And now we know for sure that Schotty wasn't completely undermined during Mangini's stay in NY. Conviction and faith are nice, but they have to have some root in reality or they are no better than fairy tales.

The team can rebound, but if we should luck into some wildcard berth, this team will be playing the elite, not some laydown scrub team that will take our passing offense lightly. They will be playing teams that can exploit the weakness of a rookie QB. Kind of like we saw against New Orleans.

Super Bowl talk in week 4. I will never understand it.

14. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

I Believe....The Jets have taken off...THE REST OF THE SEASON.

15. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

If this team crawls it's way into the playoffs this will not be a back in. We have to beat Miami, NE in NE and now Buffalo in their park to have any legit shot at the playoffs.

I suspect if we do that Cotch, Edwards and Keller will be on the field at the same time. We might well be running a 4/3 with a pass rush out of the front 4 and Westerman making an impact?

Football seasons are never exactly the way you picture them. Dissaster presents opportunity. This team has to be reconfigured and that might be a net positive.

16. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The thread was right on the mark when it was made. The fact that injuries and inexplicable coaching decisions have us 3-3 right now instead of 4-2 where we belong is unfortunate but that doesn't make the OP wrong.

In order for the Jets to succeed this year they need to do two things over the next few weeks: establish an identity, both on offense AND defense (what identity have the Jets shown us on the defensive side the last few weeks?), and they need to find a few replacements in the lockerroom for the guys who are now missing due to injury.

Somebody needs to step up and replace Kris Jenkins on the field. I think going to a 4-3 look for the majority of the plays is probably the right answer given the loss of Jenkins. The Jets can go with Pouha at one tackle, but they're going to need somebody else - maybe Shaun Ellis or Mike Devito - to step up and plug the other hole effectively. Bryan Thomas or Vernon Gholston are going to have to step up at defensive end and play well in that alignment. Put Calvin Pace at strongside linebacker, slide David Harris over to the weakside (the only Jet defender in the front 7 who actually has the explosiveness needed at that position) and have Bart Scott anchor the middle. This is all a longshot but it's where the Jets need to go to survive the loss of the heart of the defense.

On the offensive side they need to reset the offense to be a run first, run always if necessary, scheme and help keep the defense off the field by eating the clock. They really need Sanchez to learn how to manage the game, because at the moment the tools around him are not really good enough to do anything else. Once they establish a running game (more than 2 yards on first down with a 71 yarder here and there to break the tension and inflate the overall numbers to make the Jets running game look more effective than it really is or has been) then they can start fooling around with Sanchez again early in the sequence.

Remember Scott Mitchell? He looked terrible a lot of the time because he passed more on 2nd and 10 or 3rd and 12 than any QB in NFL history. That's what having Barry Sanders with you in the backfield did. Not that Sanders was not great but he sure did not help his QB out at all.

17. Br4d

This wasn't up when I started my reply below.

Sign 100%.

18. MisterBouncyBounce

MisterBouncyBounce New Member

Mitchell's problem wasn't sanders, it was that he sucked and so did his coaching staff.

19. abyzmul

I think Rex reconfigures the defense every week, and I am only concerned with the lack of tackling in that department. Aside from a few miscues, the players have been in mostly the right places, and have missed tackles or misplayed a ball here and there that could have changed the game. Even without Jenkins, I am not down on the defensive side of the ball.

Offense has me worried a lot. Healthy or not, Sanchez doesn't look like he is being taught how to make the most of his offensive talent. He's being mentored by a guy that doesn't inspire a lot of faith in me. And aside from the Bills game, that same OC has failed to capitalize on a deep pool of talent at the RB position.

I have no faith in an offense being run by Schotty. None at all.

20. Br4d

Barry Sanders did three things for the Lions:

1. He got tackled for 2 yard losses after running sideline to sideline looking for a hole which just wasn't there.

2. He got 6-8 yard gains off of a quick move through a hole, setting up 2nd and 2 to 4, where the smart play was to give the ball to Sanders again.

3. He broke 40+ yard gains more than any player in NFL history, including wide receivers, either scoring or setting up 1st and 10 again.

That kind of performance will break any QB you put alongside it.

Think about it.