I am sorry jet fans....

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Farva, Jan 4, 2009.

1. JoeWalton

JoeWalton Well-Known Member

"he isnt in the same class as manning, rivers, brees"

On the other hand, I think you would have to give up a little more than nothing to acquire a Manning, Rivers or Brees. You get what you pay for.

2. Bosko

Bosko Guest

Chad's a very good QB. I think even his harshest critics on this board will agree that Pennington, especially when he's backed by a strong running game (see: Curtis Martin, Ronnie Brown, Ricky Williams, Wildcat. etc.) is a great game manager, protects the ball, etc.

To wit:
    Marty Schottenheimer is a very good NFL coach. He gets his teams into the playoffs, has them playing good defense and special teams, makes good game time decisions, the works.

I am sure you all see where I'm going with this... The decision was made by Jets ownership to go for it all this year. They replaced Pennington with one of the Top Ten QBs in NFL history (by most people's reckoning). I think the braintrust (if you can call them that) of the Jets figured that Pennington, like Herm Edwards, can only take a team so far into the playoffs, and can't get them to the next level.

Also (not that I can remember that far back either):
    The Jets also won some first place finishes in 1968, 1969, 1971, 1973, 1974 1975 and 1977... So Chad is responsible for about... I dunno... Maybe 10% of their AFC East titles?

3. nyjetsrule

nyjetsrule Active Member

edit: double post...

4. nyjetsrule

nyjetsrule Active Member

And people question why we shouldn't bring in Rex Ryan as our next Head Coach! Thats the type of attitude a superior team should hold. "You guys suck, we dont. We aren't going to lose, we are going to kick your ass." I like it, bring me Rex please!

5. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

As long as you can bring in his players with him. Ours don't come close to measuring up.

6. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Chad just wins games.

In the regular season.

7. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

Wait until this uppcoming season based on Chads limitations & the quality of teams on your schedule you will most likely regress by about 5 games or more

8. VickBlows

VickBlows Active Member

You are totally right - the NYJ's have never had this attitude as long as I've watched - it was even debatable in the parcells era.

I really don?t like the idea of going after another ?hot prospect? with no HC experience (for the 11th time in team history) but am starting to warm up to Ryan. At least he has NFL / NFL coordinator experience.

9. ToddisGod

ToddisGod Banned

my best friend is a dolphin fan, he has heard all the rumbling about Parcells leaving. This is exactly why I think he will, Parcells likes getting out when he looks the best- giants two superbowls, NE super bowl appearance, Jets- SB favorite- testaverde went down, out of his hand, Dallas- one place he failed, Miami- 1-15 to 11-5, what does he do for an encore, cant do it, if someone wants to tell me Miami is next years AFC east favorite you are nuts, tougher scedule, brady back, league catching up to wildcat etc..... Last but not least the transition to Henne at QB- you got all you can get out of pennington today, I love the guy but that is the limitation with him. I Know defenders say he played a great defense, well guess what there usually isnt any bad defenses left this time of year,
    my heart tells me parcells leaves, looks like a genuis again and Miami is 8-8 or 7-9 and henne is your QB by midseason.

10. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

I HOPE Chad Henne is your QB next year, you will go back to crappy dolphins of the rest of this decade. don't make the same foolish mistake short sided jet fans made w/ Chad. Name me the QB against that D that could have had succes w/ no running game and no pass protetcion?

11. nyjunc

How many SBs have they won w/ Rex's attitude? Heck, yesterday was their 1st playoff win while Rex was there. I have nothing against rex but next week when they lose to tennessee what will be said?

12. jetzIII

jetzIII New Member

Ravens will beat the Titans.

13. Trip McNealy

Trip McNealy Member

You're not jealous of the way the Ravens play defense?

14. nyjunc

I certainly am.

15. #1 Jets Fan

#1 Jets Fan Guest

what team isn't or other then the Steelers.

16. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

The Dolphins beat the Pats in week 3, while Cassel was still getting used to being the QB.

They beat SD by a TD two weeks later, while they were still warming up.

In week 8 they beat Buffalo, who didn't beat any AFCE team.

Week 9 they beat Denver. The same Denver who couldn't beat out the Chargers for the division.

Week 10 they beat Seattle.

Week 11, they take down the Raiders by two.

Week 13 they beat up on St. Louis. Winning by a whopping 2.

They follow that up with a 13 point thumping of Buffalo.

Week 15 they drub the 49ers by 5.

In week 16 they manage to "play to win the game" vs. Herm and his crew, winning by 7, but surrendering 31.

In week 17 they "manage" to beat the mighty Jets by 7.

Face it, you beat weak teams all season long. You lost to the Jets early on when they were expected to be significantly better than you. You got destroyed by Arizona who is a playoff team. You lost to up-and-coming Houston. You lost by two TDs to Baltimore in your first meeting. And you got a 20 point spanking once Cassel was comfortable.

You were never really a playoff team in the first place. Witness the "Magic of Chad" where you come off a bad season, with a soft schedule, and you look like world beaters. Then you play a team that isn't composed of practice squad castoffs in January, and suddenly you realize that "Oh shit, they actually have a defense. What will Chad do?!?!"

Chad will throw picks, that's what Chad will do.

Even worse for you, your schedule will be tougher next year. Expect Chad to not make it through the entire season, but be prepared to win Comeback Player of the Year in 2010.

He's the nicest guy in football, but nice guys don't bang the prom queens.

17. songster67

songster67 New Member

Rex was a defensive asst on the Ravens team that won the Super Bowl

18. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

I said to my Dolfriends "they're a nice story, like the JETS in '06, and it'll probably end the same."

It did.

19. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Same here, he's pretty much the only rookie HC candidate I wouldn't punch a wall over us hiring. We won't hire him.

20. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

Not to mention he comes from a long standing football family. If we do not go with a retread, he would be my first choice. Seeing that Cower and Shanahan are out I would not mind him at this point.