I am so %$#@ing PROUD of this team!!!

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by HackettSuxTNG, Oct 1, 2006.

1. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

It was a game we should have won and that's what I'm happy about!! I thought we played great. Still need to shore up the D though.

#61 Murrell2878, Oct 2, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 3, 2005
  2. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

You can't compare the 2 calls, one is in the 2nd qtr and one is late in the 3rd. I would have been ok if Indy had recovered there. our D was playing well at that point, it was a worthy gamble but after a 16 play drive it made absolutely no sense to go for it espcially 4th and G from the 3, if it was at th 1 I would have been fine w/ it but at the 3??!!!! are you kidding me???? that is one of the worst decisions I have EVER seen a HC make.

3. ATL-JET

ATL-JET Active Member

I thought i would have been PISSED with this loss but I walked away feeling VERY GOOD about this team inspite of our shoddy run defense, the bad call and the fact we we did not put this team away.

This team would have CRUMBLED under Herm with the SAME set of issues surrounding this team

I'm telling you Mangini and Tannenbaum are GOING TO address our D line and RB situation next year

With the right draft and proper FA pick ups this team is gonna be amazing to watch.

4. hydro51

hydro51 New Member

we were at the 2.. im not 2nd guessing mangini he had a decision. Decision was made and while it didnt turn out as they hope. had he made it everyone would be on here braggin how great of call it was.. i can live with a coach thats has some balls. than a coach that lives to be conservitive..

Did you see that option play between smith and washington. our previous HC wouldnt have dare to do that.

5. nyjunc

please stop w/ the team would have crumbled uner Herm stuff. Our teams never quit under herm.

I wouldn't be as pissed if we didn't give the game away but we did just that.

6. hydro51

hydro51 New Member

i agree we knew coming into this season it was about buildng a foundation and weeding out the weak.

7. nyjunc

it was on the 3, they list it at the 2 but in reality it was much closer to the 3 than the 2.

Even if we had made it i would say how dumb the decision was but that we got lucky.

we have used that option play in the past, I think during '02 we did it. I like the way they are using Smith, i like what mangini has done overall but he blew it big time yesterday.

8. hydro51

hydro51 New Member

what we give away? if we kicked that fg we woulda went to OT at best .. ur acting is if that fg woulda won the game for us.. we still had more than enough chances to win this game our defense just got beat by the nfl best passing offense.

9. nyjunc

assuming everything went the same we would have gone to OT and at least had a coin flip chance to win but if we kick it there and don't blow 2 Tos then we have 3 TOs to win at the end of the game and even at our 2 w/ 50 secs that's plenty of time.

10. 3rdAnd15Draw

3rdAnd15Draw Well-Known Member

I disagree, the Colts were actually playing defense on that last drive, unlike the Jets, and protecting the sidelines even though there was virtually no chance that the Jets could move down the field on them. The way the rest of the game played out is why I have no problem with the 4th down call, the Jets were not going to win the game with FGs as the Colts could score at will in the 2nd half once it became apparent that they needed to. Dungyball kept us in the game and Manning handcuffed but once the points started racking up there was really no way for the Jets to stay in the game other then a fluke play(which happened and they still blew it).

11. nyjunc

If we had 3 TOs we had plenty of time but we burned 2 TOs in situations where we didn't need to. The 4th down call was the worst call i have seen a HC make in a long time. I am still stunned he went for it, it made no sense.

12. ScotsJet

ScotsJet Active Member

You're overplaying it. It was a judgement call, it didn't pay off, we lost. We'd likely have lost anyway. There is no way you can say taking 3 there guaranteed us a tie at the end - who knows how things would have unfolded - the Colts may have scored a TD on the ensuing drive instead of a FG and gone on to win by 11 - there's no point moaning about it, just hope he makes the right call next time!

I wonder what effect David Barrett's absence had on our inability to slow the Colts down in the 4th Quarter...

13. 3rdAnd15Draw

3rdAnd15Draw Well-Known Member

I have a much bigger problem with the playcalling sequence then the decision to go for it. Chad's INT certainly didn't help matters either, although the Colts probably would've driven right down the field anyway.

14. nyjunc

Of course there's no way to tell how the game would have gone but it would have been better to be up 17-14 than tied 14-14, right? it was an atrocious call, a call I would only expect to see by Barry Switzer or in a video game. I hope he learns from it.

15. nyjunc

I have equal problems w/ the playcalling and w/ going for it. it was a terrible sequence for us much like our 1st and 10 at the NE 16 two weeks ago.

16. glenn212

glenn212 New Member

Freakin 2nd guesser is what you are..EVER..really..herm settling for a 43 yd field goal at Pitt..

17. John127

John127 New Member

So much about our defense (on the final two drives) posted here.

While I agree we need a pass rusher so we can put at least a little pressure on a QB without blitzing, this was the Colts offense we were playing, remember that. I don't know how it appeared on TV, but watching Manning in person makes you appreciate the kind of passer he is. He's so accurate (you never see his receivers having to make spectacular catches) and he's got a strong arm to match. He had time in the pocket and he took advantage of it. Actually, his best throw came when he sidestepped pressure and threw to the sideline on like the 16 yard line on the final drive. It was pretty amazing.

Anyway, I was as disappointed as everone else but you do have to credit Manning and the Colts and not just fault our D. Another QB might have made a tiny mistake on either of those two drives giving us the game. Don't forget just how good Manning is.

18. nyjunc

Actually I said it at the time and comparing Pitt to yesterday is asinine but even after reading just 4 or 5 of your posts that's what i expect of you.

19. glenn212

glenn212 New Member

I'm done talking too you..you are what you are!

20. GreenHornet

GreenHornet New Member

I love this response. Just love it. That is how I felt yesterday, and how I feel today. I am in admiration of this team. They are giving 100% + of themselves. You can't ask for more than that. I bet Graham was licking his chops on the last play of the game - wanting to be in there. We ended the game playing rugby.

We had a championship caliber team sweating bullets yesterday. We almost defeated the best QB in the league.

One thing is, no matter what our record is this year every team we play is in for a dog fight to the bitter end.

I don't know who the Colts play next week (don't care), but lately a team that we really beat up on usually doesn't do well the following week.

#80 GreenHornet, Oct 2, 2006
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2006