Hypothetical: If Saleh is fired at the end of the season, who next?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Linebacker712, Nov 17, 2021.

1. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

I think you underestimate the mindset of coaches in general. Those with that built in competitiveness that are always looking for the bigger challenge would be all over this thing. The ones who would shy away for fear of failure wouldn't be wanted here anyway.

2. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

Do you know this for fact or is it just your opinion? Have you interviewed coaches before?

#62 bicketybam, Nov 19, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2021
    Jonathan_Vilma likes this.
  3. Ralebird

I've known coaches for over sixty years; good ones, bad ones, hyper ones, indifferent ones. None of the good ones would shy away from such a challenge; many of them would take the job for free just to prove they could do it the right way.

[That's my analysis based both on my own experience and observations and what I have read. It's okay by me if you don't agree but if you doubt it you may want to read a biography or two about coaches. Consider Herb Brooks, John Wooden, Pat Riley and, of course, Vince Lombardi.]

4. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

So who's taking the Jets head coaching job for free? Or maybe sign a one year contract because that's all you need to show you can turn around a 2 win team.

5. Ralebird

Nobody at all until an opening is created.

6. Sundayjack

Sundayjack pǝʇɔıppɐ ʎןןɐʇoʇ

I’m totally and completely beat-down on this debate. Plus, I keep waiting for someone to utter the name Bill O’Brien so I can blow my goddamn brains out and mercifully bring an end to it. I’d much rather throw every conceivable resource into the development of Zach Wilson. Turns out, teams with really good quarterbacks always seem to have pretty good head coaches. Chicken or egg thing - sure, I get it. But, we’ve hired and fired coaches and coordinators. We’ve owned the top of the draft. If we’re looking for another new franchise qb in two years - I’m out. Not by choice. I’ll just be all busted-up beyond repair.

NCJetsfan, FJF and jilozzo like this.
  7. FrontOfficeFanatic

FrontOfficeFanatic Well-Known Member

Wilson, Saleh and Douglas will all get at least all of next year to show improvement--maybe even into the following year

But let's play....

We would need to find someone PROVEN at building a program and has a proof of concept in their resume.

Doug Pederson
    Jim Harbaugh
    Matt Campbell (my favorite)
    David Shaw
    Tony Dungy (pipedream)
    Pat Fitzgerald
    Josh McDaniels (I would give him another chance)
    Lincoln Reilly

McDaniels is the only one here that hasn't built a program by himself, but he's coaches with the best to ever do it for a LONG LONG time. And he has HC experience. I still think he's going to be a good HC one day,

8. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Lol. RaleBird’s interviewed a ton of NFL coaches in his life bro. He said so.

bicketybam likes this.
  9. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

Jack where u been??

10. jilozzo

team would have to implode for saleh to get dumped. much more than it already has.

#70 jilozzo, Nov 20, 2021
  11. jilozzo

realized this isn't a popular choice but i don't think REX is done being a head coach.

12. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

Big no-way to Dungy or McDaniels. Dungy is way out of the game, he hasn’t coached in 15 years and benefitted from Manning every step of the way in his Colts career. The Bucs went to the playoffs 3/6 seasons with him and had a 2-3 playoff record. Gruden shows up and they immediately with the SB. Not that he had a bad career but you don’t have to dig up the septic tank to find that decent decent sirloin you had that one time.

McDaniels ruined his reputation to me when he backed out of the Colts job.

13. MaximusD163

There is a shortlist of things that would have to happen for me to walk away, and that is one of the things on that list.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  14. Jonathan_Vilma

McDaniels will probably be the top coaching candidate available this off-season and it’s deserved. I don’t trust him a ton but not sure why you’d walk away from him. He’s a fantastic offensive coach albeit seemingly a massive douche.

#74 Jonathan_Vilma, Nov 20, 2021
  15. barfolomew

barfolomew Well-Known Member

How about gregg williams? I don't love him but his teams are prepared. Also he had a winning record as Cleveland's interim head coach

boozer32 likes this.
  16. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

No chance McDaniels would consider taking this job against The Godfather’s wishes.

barfolomew likes this.
  17. AJW

AJW Well-Known Member

He's not getting fired. The fans that want him gone are part of the problem.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

barfolomew likes this.
  18. MaximusD163

How can you trust him at all? He backed out of an already agreed to job coaching Andrew Luck because… Apparently he didn’t ask during the interview process if he would be able to dictate every minute detail, from the way the medical reports were handled to the way video operated within the team HQ. How you go through all of the meetings and negotiations and verbally agree without getting to that is beyond me. There are only 3 possibilities, none good.

1. He actually didn’t ask, in which case he’s an idiot.

2. He knew, and tried to pull a power play over Ballard last second to see if they would cave to avoid embarrassment, in which case he’s subversive.

3. It was about completely other stuff, in which case he’s just an outright liar.

Jets79 and barfolomew like this.
  19. Jonathan_Vilma

I’m not going to dispute any of that because it’s factually correct. But tell me this. Do you believe Josh McDaniels will ever be a successful NFL coach in the league? Will he ever coach a team to the playoffs?

20. Ralebird

Another lie from the fat kid. No surprise.

barfolomew likes this.