Hypothetical: If Saleh is fired at the end of the season, who next?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Linebacker712, Nov 17, 2021.

1. papapump

papapump Well-Known Member

Aren’t we there already?

boozer32, stinkyB and REVISion like this.
  2. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Disagree. There's only 32 of these jobs in the world. The right guy will look at the job and believe that every guy here before has screwed up their chances and that he is the guy who can make the difference. A guy with that kind of confidence is the guy you want - and he's out there. Somewhere.

REVISion likes this.
  3. Sack exchange

Sack exchange Well-Known Member

I just hate McDaniel, so no way for me. Might have to quit being fan if that happened.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jets79 and BacktoQueens like this.
  4. Sack exchange

Sack exchange Well-Known Member

If all that happened then I say yes. lol. Keep in mind that there have been some one and dones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#44 Sack exchange, Nov 19, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2021
  5. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

Yes, but the Jets know what they gave Saleh to work with in terms of the roster. Plus he has been composed, and they do have 2 statement wins at this point. Results have not been good but they haven’t really been that much worse than I expected.

cval likes this.
  6. Ralebird

What's the statement? Does it include "blind squirrel"? Since the first win has it been "we'll spot you 41 points"?

7. MaximusD163

You’re mistaking me saying “he hasn’t done badly enough to get fired after only 1 year” with praise.

Besides, the blind squirrel metaphor doesn’t apply to NFL wins. It’s way too difficult to get them.

8. cval

cval Well-Known Member

You can't talk rational with unnational people. Not sure what his agenda is but he has zero football acumen, he is just raging fan most likely not even a Jets fan. Anyone who thinks we should dump the coach and a rookie QB after the half of season the Jets have had is not worth talking to because they have zero rational thought.

That does not mean that Saleh, Douglas, Wilson cannot be criticized but come-on people. It is like the poster that say Zach will just throw it to his feet. Most just are here to push an agenda. I find it funny that most talk radio topics on the Jets seem to start on this board. I wonder if that is a coincidence?

NCJetsfan likes this.
  9. Ralebird

Nah, never saw your statements as unmitigated praise; but while basically in agreement with you, I see some reasons short of poo-flinging to at least shake up the coaching staff. LaFleur might have adjusted enough to hang around for a while, time will tell; Ulbrich is riding the hot seat. A lack of action on improving the work of the coordinators does not reflect well on Saleh.

If you're saying there are no blind squirrel wins in the NFL then we must also need to abandon the watchword in the league about "any given Sunday." I'm not ready for that.

10. Ralebird

Since you responded to a post directed at me, I can only infer the "he" you refer to is me. If there are things I post that you disagree with feel free to counter them directly. On the other hand, to create your own scenarios and argue them in my direction would be better performed in the BS forum. I don't see the need to respond to the blatantly nonsensical parts of your first paragraph.

At no time have I advocated dumping either the head coach or the draftee after half a season. If you don't know that by now, you should because I have made that very clear to you numerous times. That does not mean, as you acknowledge above, that they are immune from criticism and I will continue to be critical of those failing to perform to any professional standard. You don't have to agree but it's ridiculous for you to make up your own slant on what I have posted. At least I haven't seen anyone rightfully complaining labeled as "haters" lately.

If you choose to respond why don't you also flesh out what "agenda" you think anyone has here other than simply putting their opinions out there for all to see. You might want to tell us why you're here and what your agenda is in creating Strawman arguments as well.

11. MaximusD163

“Any given Sunday” has a completely different meaning than “even a blind squirrel finds a nut now and then.”

It means that the NFL has enough parity that even lesser teams can win sometimes. Using the blind squirrel adage implies you can get a win in the NFL just by showing up barely knowing how to put on pads much less design a scheme and a game plan.

The Jets have beaten two teams with legitimate playoff aspirations with a roster indisputably worse than either one. It doesn’t make anyone coach of the year but it’s not like you can just pretend it didn’t happen.

Jets79, Pepsiguy5 and NCJetsfan like this.
  12. Ralebird

In my mind a lot of factors have gone into the "any given Sunday" line, including parity, luck, letdowns, injuries, trap games and whatever. We'll have to call it a draw on the metaphors and old wive's tales.

As far as making believe the two wins didn't happen, you're certainly right that it doesn't make anyone coach of the year but that may make it more of an indictment of the coaching staff that twice the Jets were able to beat good teams but have reverted to a series of pathetic performances. What did they do to win but they have been unable to do since those wins as far as getting the team in a position to be competitive? Either they were able to rise above their real capabilities twice or they have been unable to attain those capabilities since. That's all about coaching, both the Xs and Os and preparation and motivation. The next three games will tell us a lot.

Cman68 likes this.
  13. Jojo

Jojo Well-Known Member

Probably telling people he doesn't care, he's rich.

Cman68 and stinkyB like this.
  14. Jojo

Jojo Well-Known Member

I like the idea of Scott coaching lb. He seems to want to get into coaching, with the jets too.

stinkyB likes this.
  15. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

I just dont know anymore. So much of coaching is based on talent. I know his bread and butter is defense, and the teams current defense is atrocious. How much of that is the young secondary and bad linebackers? I'm not sure.

I was enthusiastic about Saleh. Not because I thought he was a good coach or anything, but because the Jets had a target, and they went and got him. Very rarely do the Jets get the consensus best coaching prospect.

This time last year everyone was praising Joe Judge and Brian Flores as the next big things. Right now, they're preparing to be on the hot seat. Either finding the right coach is significantly more difficult than it appears, or talent plays a much bigger role than fans want to give it.

Jets79, boozer32 and NCJetsfan like this.
  16. JoeWalton

JoeWalton Well-Known Member

Don't really care if Saleh stays or goes. You know it's bad apathy becomes the default feeling and is the only reasonable solution.

ouchy and Cman68 like this.
  17. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

I'm pretty sure that locks him in for awhile....

18. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Highly doubt he is. Belicheck checked all your boxes and he said no. He's been killing the Jets ever since. It's not the job its the Jets organization or owner. Maybe it's the pressure and media coverage of New York. What is even in shorter supply is the guy that wants to be here. You know the Bill Parcells types who can handle it. Mangini, Herm, Al Groh, Gase all got swallowed up.

19. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

I believe we are

20. Linebacker712

Linebacker712 Well-Known Member

You'll never have to worry about that. McDaniel is 100% guaranteed to succeed Belichick. There's no other reason why he would accept the Colts head coaching job, then change his mind to return to the Patriots as the OC. No doubt both Kraft and Belichick have told him that he's got the job lined up. With Mac Jones playing the way he is and the team having adjusted to a post-Brady era, it wouldn't surprise me to see Belichick retire in the next year or two and hand the reins over to McDaniel.

Sack exchange likes this.