How's Sri Lanka Doing?

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by Acad23, Jul 12, 2022.

1. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

I definitely added something to the conversation - I exposed the writer of your "article" as a guy who is fond of mixing the truth with either errors or lies to prove a point according to those most familiar with his work. I note you have declined to answer why you even opened the conversation with such a link to begin with. When you throw as much shit into the fan as you do don't expect to get away clean.

2. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

And yet you've failed to point out one falsehood, error or lie in that linked piece.

Stick to attacking me... I love the attention... :p

3. Ralebird

Asked and answered - I don't need to find specifics for a writer who is known to be unreliable by his peers but anyone with a critical eye and a modicum of reading comprehension and math ability can see how faulty his conclusions are but one needs to read beyond the headline for that.

Here's a hint - Shellenberger blows off damage to the four billion dollar tourist industry due to terrorist bombings in 2019 that killed 269 people and walks right past Covid with the slightest of nods and then blames the country's economic collapse on a less than a quarter billion dollar loss of tea exports. You can't make this shit up - but Shellenberger did. And you bought it and repeated it.

You have failed to respond to why you posted it - just the attention? Or did the title grab your eye? Maybe it was cited on some radical website or social media outlet?

#23 Ralebird, Jul 13, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2022
  4. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

So there were no falsehoods in the article. Got it... you came up empty.

I started the thread to bring attention to problems occurring in countries that are experiencing problems
    in subscribing to the 2030 Agenda.

Ghana, Netherlands, France, Germany and Sri Lanka are all experiencing serious problems
    with their 'Sustainable Development Goals'... as put forth by the World Bank Group... talk about a dystopian name.o_O

I'd love to hear about any success stories...

5. Ralebird

Looks like you missed my middle paragraph - it's not nothing even if you're not capable of finding it.

The whole essay is a sham to sucker in people like you. Hook, line, sinker.

6. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

I didn't miss it... it wasn't there when I started my reply. You added it in later.

As usual... your focus is not on the topic... but on attacks.
    You've added nothing to the subject... just your patented bullshit Ralebird Routine.

7. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I didn’t read the entire article or any of the RaleBird bullshit but it seems as though Sri Lanka is a cautionary tale for the rest of the world.

There are tons of reputable sources reporting the same thing.

https://news.un.org/en/story/2022/07/1122042

https://www.wsj.com/articles/sri-la...ning-for-other-indebted-economies-11657473277

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2022/06/20/sri-lanka-economy-crisis-fuel/

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...s-farmers-abandon-fields-and-inflation-surges

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  8. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

C'mon Vilma.... wouldn't you rather argue about the authors of your linked articles? lol

But yeah... it seems like countries that have bought in on boosting their ESG scores are having serious problems.

Agenda 2030 and its sustainable development goals are off to a rough start.
    Power outages, food shortages, inflation... and it's not just Sri Lanka. Germany and France are having problems keeping the lights on and the water hot.

I'm not surprised that it's not getting more attention on mainstream media... considering who pays the bills... ;)

How it started-
    Our Work on the Sustainable Development Goals in Sri Lanka

How it's going-

Record inflation and skyrocketing prices leave over 6 million Sri Lankans food insecure

9. Ralebird

You're correct, I added that paragraph after I wrote the initial two paragraphs but posted it before you posted your response. Now that you've seen it do you have a response to it?

And no, as usual I'm interested in an accurate picture of what is posted and will attack bullshit posted here any time it's identified. If you believe I am attacking you personally you should understand you're not worth the effort but if it bothers you that much perhaps you should stop posting bullshit. You, on the other hand, are not honest enough to even put an accurate title on a post you open. You title this one "How's Sri Lanka Doing?" when your admitted purpose was "to bring attention to problems occurring in countries that are experiencing problems in subscribing to the 2030 Agenda." Anyone with a hint of intellectual honesty would place a title that was purposeful, not deceptive. As it turns out, the essay you posted was not at all about what's happening in Sri Lanka but a distorted view that disregarded an 80 percent drop in tourism, the country's most valuable sector.

So were you totally ignorant of how Sri Lanka is actually doing or were you just trying to throw another screwball past the casual reader?

10. Ralebird

Perhaps, if you want to understand the situation more fully, you would want to read the opinion piece (not an objective article) more completely, it's not very long. In doing so you would see the author disregards many things discussed in the articles you link (but are largely paywall protected) and all but totally writes off the effect of terrorist bombings and Covid on tourism which accounts for half the economy of Sri Lanka. Instead he claims "But the biggest and main problem causing Sri Lanka’s fall was its ban on chemical fertilizers in April 2021." By his own figures that represented less than a quarter billion dollar loss at the same time the four billion dollar tourist industry took an 80 percent hit.

Perhaps allowing yourself to read and understand "any of the RaleBird bullshit" with an open mind occasionally might be beneficial.

11. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Those Sri Lankan's are sure upset about their tourism dropping...

[​IMG]

12. Ralebird

Shouldn't everyone consider the source before simply accepting what is written, particularly when it is accessed from the writer's own website? Where are the checks and balances in that scenario particularly for someone who has been widely ridiculed by his peers? Shouldn't you have explored your source more thoroughly before going all in on his claims?

What Shellenberger, and now you, are doing is attempting to draw a cause and effect relationship between The United Nations Development Programme and "Power outages, food shortages (and) inflation" where no such thing exists. To what end? Do you have a problem with the seventeen goals of the program? Things like eliminating poverty and having adequate food supplies? Is there any connection at all or are you attempting to construct one out of whole cloth? Why?

You would also need to support your claim that "countries that have bought in on boosting their ESG scores are having serious problems" when that term is normally used in the private, rather than government sectors. It appears to me that global inflation and shortages do not discriminate among any countries, regardless of their approach to aspiring to sustainable growth, as if there is something wrong with that concept.

13. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

Sooner or later hunter’s gonna take the hit for this.

14. Ralebird

You bet they are because the tourist industry catastrophe that began in 2019 with the Easter Sunday bombings then continued to fall through Covid is by far the largest cause of economic instability in the country which has only been aggravated by global inflation and poor government oversight. Having Russia as its prime financial and trade partner has also not been in their favor.

But you do you, Acad, and post dopey stand alone Tweets, memes, cartoons, pictures, etc without any comment other than even dopier words like your's here, ignoring even the facts in the article from where you grabbed the image - great job!

For those interested, here's a link to the article that contained the image: Hundreds protest in crisis-hit Sri Lanka as IMF talks loom (nbcnews.com)

You may note that the article is four months old but while it does speak of the causes of the economic crisis there is nary a word of a fertilizer ban or the tea industry at all being causative.

#35 Ralebird, Jul 13, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2022
  15. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

The good news is that tourism is picking up in Sri Lanka!

[​IMG]

16. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

I'm starting a GoFundMe for Ralebird to visit Sri Lanka! He will report back with nothing but the facts!

Acad23 likes this.
  17. Jonathan_Vilma

We can’t do that. I can’t imagine internet access down there is great right now and who would be the arbiter of the truth around here while he was gone?

18. Ralebird

At least those who have absolutely no respect for facts and honesty are making themselves more clear than ever before.

19. Jonathan_Vilma

Thank god. At least now we know.