How would YOU handle the Jets Quarterback Situation in 2018?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by The Dark Knight, Dec 7, 2017.

1. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Okay, update: Sam Darnold is a Jet. That's the plan now. :) 21 pages of discussion, and Darnold was not brought up much. Too good to be a realistic option........

2. twown

twown Well-Known Member

Good timing, DK. I've been chirping in a few threads about sitting Sam this year, and this is a good opportunity to get it completely out of my system.

Let's say we start our blue chip rookie out of the gate. What can happen?

1) The line holds up reasonably well, and Sam acquits himself admirably. He gains a year of NFL experience, and that's a positive. We win 6-9 games, secure a mid-round pick, and things are looking up.

2) The line holds up reasonable well, but Sam struggles to adjust to the speed and ferocity of the pro game. He continues to work hard and stay positive, but with the inevitable rookie mistakes come the boo birds and media criticism. Overall, not a big deal either way.

3) The line struggles, and opposing defenses are wiping their chops every Sunday. Sam does his best, but with a shoddy line and no NFL experience, he starts ad-libbing far too often. He takes big hits, and with the offense struggling, he tries to make things happen. The result is turnovers and boos. Bad habits begin to seep into his routine.

4) Same as 3, but unrelenting pass pressure eventually results in injury to Sam Darnold.

Note: in none of the above scenarios do the Jets make the playoffs.

Now let's look at what happens if he sits for most or all of the year.

1) He is completely dedicated to learning the system, working on his mechanics, and watching 200-year veteran and all-around super dude slash coach on the field Josh McCown in his day-to-day routine. In the process, we lose a lot of games, secure a top-10 pick, and Darnold is never put at risk of injury. He knows, as does everyone in the stadium, that it's his team in 2019. In the off-season, the o-line gets pimped out with at least two top-flight FA or draft acquisitions.

2) There is no 2.

I guess my personal choice is clear.

#422 twown, Apr 29, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2018
    NCJetsfan and The Dark Knight like this.
  3. Gremlin

Gremlin Well-Known Member

Josh would be my #1 guy without question.

If Teddy isn't one shot away from crumpling into a heap of blood and bone then he's #2 and gives me a chance to switch starters if we have a fitz 2.0 scenario going on.
    If he's not match fit then I'd probably retain Petty as my expendable, starting experience body to protect Darnold from starting too soon.

Sam only sees the field if we have a bad run of injuries as the tail end of our season is probably going to be against teams still in the mix.

Hack is cut/PS'd unless he is without doubt and by a wide margin better then (a pretty limited) Petty.

The Dark Knight likes this.
  4. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

As the highest drafted QB in New York since Eli and the highest by the Jets since Namath, Darnold is going to be under the most intense scrutiny of any guy we’ve had. The pre-draft love the media has for him will quickly fade once his college tape is replaced with NFL performance.

It’s absolutely imperative that he comes out of the gates hot. Fair or unfair, people develop opinions very quickly and are reluctant to change their minds unless forced to. Darnold’s first few games are going to paint a narrative that is hard to shake. Think back to Carson Wentz... he played very well in his first 4-5 games, including a nationally televised game, but he was hot garbage the rest of his rookie year. But the good start and MNF is all anyone chose to remember, so he avoided offseason criticism and came back an MVP candidate.

If Darnold starts week 1 and lays an egg on MNF and TNF in the first 3 weeks (our only national games, by the way) he’s going to severely damage the perception of himself. I love the kid’s personality and I think he’s as equipped to handle NY as anyone, but the media can be ruthless here, especially to a guy we traded up to 3 for and anointed the savior.

I desperately want to see Darnold tear up training camp and come in to light it up in the national spotlight those first couple weeks. But if he’s not ready to do that I wouldn’t be mad at all to see McCown start 5-6 games, or at least until he’s injured. Darnold is 20 years old and this pick was way bigger than just 2018.

5. MeanGreenMachine88

MeanGreenMachine88 Well-Known Member

McCown is a nice dude but he isn’t exactly Brett Favre. Send darnold out there by October

6. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

The obvious choice is to let him sit and learn. He will be 21 come training camp, but that is still really young. If McCown or Bridgewater play well, that makes the choice easier. Darnold himself could make it tough though. If he plays like I think he is capable of playing in Training Camp and Preseason, he may just push to start. We know Peyton Manning went 3-13 and threw a million INT's his rookie year, so I don't think that would be an issue if he started. At the same time, you want to put Darnold in the best position to succeed. It's tough.

As for media talk: Have to ignore them no matter what. They are an embarrassment and one of the worst parts of being a Jets fan.

#426 The Dark Knight, Apr 29, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2018
    CotcheryFan likes this.
  7. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

If Darnold can't get onto the field for meaningful games, then he is way over-rated. A top 5 player should be starting their first year, and have HOF potential. Besides, playing is the only proven way to learn. If you want McCown to be a "coach", then Darnold needs to be the player. Even standing on the sidelines, you can't really tell what's happening on the field with players all around you. The only way Darnold will learn how to handle that is to get in the middle of it.

Give him 4-6 games to watch and learn, and then toss him in. If he struggles badly, you pull him, but then bring him back the next week. Rinse and repeat until he gets it or proves he can't.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  8. TrojanPride

TrojanPride Active Member

Hope the Jets have a serviceable offensive line.

We're pretty concerned about Jeremy Bates as an OC, he was awful at USC. Make me feel better, please.

Ralebird likes this.
  9. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

Josh starts and if Sam wins it outright give it to him...But I think they should give it to Josh first. Teddy lets see how he does...I would trade him if another QB somewhere else gets hurt and we can get a pick or something

FJF likes this.
  10. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Let it play out and let the best qb play. I like what Bowles said,” not going to throw him in but we’re not going to hold him back either.

When’s rookie camp

11. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

LOL I totally agree. I would just add a #5 above.

5) Without having a chance to fix his footwork, the level at which he holds the ball in the pocket, and the hitch in his throwing motion, and when combined with the constant pressure from opposing Ds as a result of a subpar OL, Sam struggles horribly, plays even worse, the fans boo him unmercifully, winds up throwing 20 interceptions, fumbles 12 times, throws only 6 TDs, doesn't come close to a 60% completion percentage, his confidence is shot, he is shell-shocked and sore from the beating he has taken, and he winds up being a total bust.

That is truly what I think will happen if he starts at any point before the last 2-3 games of the season. He is a quiet, somewhat shy/introverted person. We may have mistaken some of that for maturity and he may not be as confident as we think, especially after last season. He's only 20 years old. As young as he is, I think he may have issues enough in NYC/NJ as it is. If he is thrown to the wolves without having a chance to fix his flaws and be confident in his new fundamentals, truly learn the offense, adjust to the speed of the NFL, develop chemistry with his receivers, and have a solid OL in front of him and quality skill players around him, he could easily lose confidence, revert to previous bad habits/flaws and be a bust.

twown likes this.
  12. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

I hope they sit him all year. Let him work on his lower body mechanics, learning the offense and catching up to the speed of the game. What I would like to see is the team give him some 1st team reps in practice all year and meaningful practice reps without playing. A full intense year of learning with no exposure to hits, being forced into using bad mechanics or any pressure to be the guy this year will provide long term benefits. I have no problem letting him sit in year 2 if Bridgewater can recover medically enough to be a short term answer. Begin to build a team around Darnold next year. With FA and the draft next year hopefully we can add to our OL and look for a number one WR and maybe a playmaking RB. Hopefully by camp next year we have a much better team ready to support a young QB.

What would not surprise me is to see Bridgewater cut for medical reasons and Petty or Hackenburg end up being the back-up this year while Darnold sits. Although, they are likely much better from a media stand point of cutting Hackenburg before the season starts.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  13. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

You came to the wrong place. Good luck

Noam likes this.
  14. NCJetsfan

I love you guy, but imo you couldn't be more wrong. You must really want Darnold to bust, because what you suggest would destroy his confidence and ruin him in short order. He is only 20 years old and has a little under 2 years of starting experience in college, and I don't think he even started playing QB until his junior in high school, and maybe even his senior year. He still has a lot to learn about playing the position.

In normal circumstances, a top 5 player should see the field, but not in this situation. If you throw Darnold to the wolves, he will bust. I can all but guarantee it. Playing is not the only proven way to learn. Sorry, but that's utter nonsense. One doesn't fix fundamentals by playing. That takes focused reps and practice not having to worry about game plans or executing plays. When one is playing in a game one can't be thinking about his fundamentals. Playing helps one learn how to deal with the pressure, how to read Ds, helps one adjust to the speed of the NFL, and learn what works and what doesn't. There will be plenty of time for that once he fixes his flaws, so that he won't struggle and beat himself. He'll have a real chance to succeed and develop more confidence in himself.

He has a LOT to work on and it's gonna take a lot more time than 4-6 games to fix his fundamentals (footwork, throwing motion, and level at which he holds the ball in the pocket). He needs to be given every chance to succeed, and that means letting him sit, focus solely on fixing his flaws, learn the offense, adjust to the speed of the NFL pressure-free.

There is no reason whatsoever to rush him onto the field this season. Screw the fans and what they want to see. Mac and Bowles need to do what they know Darnold needs and what is best for him. Also, by pushing him onto the field this season behind this crappy OL you're asking to get him hurt or make him gun shy, particularly at his age, and in the bright glare of NYC with the most impatient and critical fans in the world.

twown and Noam like this.
  15. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

I agree with you and prefer the long term approach. I do disagree with you about the throwing motion. I have seen a number of people say that fixing lower body mechanics is much easier than fixing throwing motions which can be extremely difficult. I have seen at least one analyst say he would not touch Darnold's throwing motion as the hitch does not hurt him. But he might need to work on how he holds the ball in the pocket and ball security issues.

16. NCJetsfan

Peyton Manning didn't have all the fundamental flaws that Darnold has. To compare the two and their situations is just silly imo. Yes, you want to put Darnold in the best position to succeed and that isn't starting his rookie season. IMO he has little chance to succeed with the fundamental issues he has at the moment. If he starts, turns the ball over a lot, and the team loses a lot, the fanbase and media will crucify him and call him a bust. That's the last thing you want to happen to someone who is pretty shy, introverted and only 20-21 years old. Peyton had solid fundamentals, had a father who was a QB in the NFL, had 4 years of starting experience and had worked with one of the best collegiate QB gurus in David Cutcliffe.

Noam likes this.
  17. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Sorry pal.. No can do..The best you can hope for is him playing or perhaps starting in 2019 and Bates not going on another sabbatical.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  18. NCJetsfan

His lower body mechanics do need to be worked on.

It's fine that you disagree about the throwing motion. It WILL be hard, if not impossible, to change, but imo he has to try. I saw that same analyst as you. That's why I didn't like or want Darnold.

That hitch slows down his delivery. Look at how many interceptions he had in college. Coverage is a lot tighter in the NFL and DBs are a lot better and quicker. IMO with that slowed delivery, he will have a ton of interceptions and incompletions and probably won't come near a 60% completion percentage if he doesn't fix it.

Noam likes this.
  19. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

1. The writing is on the wall. Petty, get out. Hack, get out too. Nice knowing ya, kids. Don't let the door hit your ass on the way out.

2. If Teddy's knee holds up - Ok. You can compete with McCown all you want, but you will be the backup unless you can convince everybody.
    If the knee is dead - YOU are out. Petty, come back in. Either way, Hack, you are out.

3. Sam - just ride the bench for the year. Learn the system, fix up your god fucking awful mechanics, and get yourself acclimated to the NFL. Even if McCown is injured, you are not playing. Maybe for a mop-up duty during a won game, but that's about it. We'll see more of you next year.

twown and Jets_Grinch like this.
  20. Rollo Tomassi

Rollo Tomassi Well-Known Member

If Teddy’s knee allows him to get on the field he starts, McCown is the backup and Darnold 3rd.

Petty traded for a future consideration draft pick and Hack is waived.

NCJetsfan likes this.