How would you grade the Jets first round draft performance?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by HackettSuxTNG, Apr 28, 2022.

?

How would you grade the Jets first round draft performance?

1. A+

104 vote(s)
    67.5%
  2. A

32 vote(s)
    20.8%
  3. A-/B+

9 vote(s)
    5.8%
  4. B

5 vote(s)
    3.2%
  5. C

2 vote(s)
    1.3%
  6. D

2 vote(s)
    1.3%
  7. F

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

Good points. I thought his body language was interesting. He looked like a cat calm but ready to strike.

JJ was not what I expected, especially given his outfits. Four things stood out to me in the interview about him. He looked older more mature and confident than the other two. He came off very humble. He was all about the team and how he can help the team not about himself. The 4th thing was very subtle and what I found the most interesting which was although he had a lot to say and he was by far the best speaker of the three he seemed very cognizant of not saying too much and trying to give the other two the spotlight. Here we have a kid on the greatest day of his life and he appears focused on helping these other two people he just met that day. He was not at all what I expected. The last time we were at the senior bowl we found Gastineau there and then drafted him and that is who I had in mind especially after seeing JJ's coats. But, man he is an impressive kid. I can't say I was a fan of taking him before the draft but now I am.

2. barfolomew

barfolomew Well-Known Member

Initially i was skeptical of the sauce pick because i bought into the KT hype, but getting a quality edge later on sold me completely. A+++

3. STARoSCREAM

STARoSCREAM Well-Known Member

I was in the same boat. I was a little disappointed that we passed on an Edge at 4 and 10, then when they traded back in for JJ I was ecstatic. Would've preferred KT but I cannot complain with all that value in the 1st

Jets79 and barfolomew like this.
  4. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

I hear ya

egelband likes this.
  5. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Should be required reading.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  6. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Yes, interesting reading (if you like statistics), but when all is said and done it really comes down to: players drafted by better teams tend to have better success. No disrespect, but "Duh!".

But there are times when a weaker team drafts a few studs who transform them into winners, and that runs against the above "rule". There seems to be no way to predict that however. But if I were a betting man, I'd bet the last two drafts - and especially 2022 - will succeed in transforming the SOJs into a successful team.

boozer32 likes this.
  7. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Organizations play a huge part. Can your staff coach up these players? The old Niners and Raiders usually drafted late in the draft and still came out with gems. The Steelers also and I think theirs was finding system fits. That is what the Jets need to build on getting Saleh and crew players that fit their system. It's gonna take a while cause no one seems to know what they are running.

Jets79 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  8. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

That's why I've been so bullish on Douglas: he has a blueprint. Maybe he hasn't executed it perfectly, but he has one, and over the long run it's bound to produce much better results than the "plan" previous GMs have had.

boozer32, Noam, Jets79 and 1 other person like this.