How would you grade the Jets first round draft performance?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by HackettSuxTNG, Apr 28, 2022.

?

How would you grade the Jets first round draft performance?

1. A+

104 vote(s)
    67.5%
  2. A

32 vote(s)
    20.8%
  3. A-/B+

9 vote(s)
    5.8%
  4. B

5 vote(s)
    3.2%
  5. C

2 vote(s)
    1.3%
  6. D

2 vote(s)
    1.3%
  7. F

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Jeff M

Jeff M Well-Known Member

Bottom line here...........we got three of the supposed top eight on our board.

that is an absolutely fantastic draft............as long as we had our board right.

Fiftynine, Noam and IIMeanDeanII like this.
  2. hornblower

hornblower Well-Known Member

If the Jets have their eye on someone tonight they probably already have made a deal to move up. If there is no one they think is that special they may try to get more picks by moving down.

3. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

Don't wanna be biased, but that baby is a A+

Pepsiguy5 and IIMeanDeanII like this.
  4. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Regarding the bold - don't the picks after Wilson prove that we took Wilson at the right time? There was a huge run on WRs right after we took Wilson and 6 WRs taken in the first round overall. 4 out of the 8 picks following the Wilson pick were WRs.

I'd feel pretty bad about having to select the 7th or 8th WR prospect at best in the 2nd round given how badly we needed more help there.

barfolomew, Borat, mattyd99 and 3 others like this.
  5. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

I just assumed it was just that time of day when the inmates at the asylum are allowed to access the internet.

barfolomew and bicketybam like this.
  6. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

Francessa talking about our draft

7. MDJets

MDJets Well-Known Member

I am pretty harsh and honest with grades with the Jets. You got 3 1st round picks and all top 12 prospects on most scouts. If this wasn’t an A+ draft then I don’t know what is. Sure they have to produce on the field but on draft day, they hit it out of the park and got key impact players they needed.

8. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Receivers were greatly over drafted this year. That didn't mean we had to join in. Lets put it this way. Every 1st round pick last year had a better college career than Wilson, including Batemen taken 27th. Even Moore had a better, or at least comparable, college career. And he was the 7th receiver taken.

Wilson best year was 1058 yards and 12 TDs.
    The WR taken 10th last year had 1856 yards and 23 TDs. His 2nd best year was also better than Wilson's best, 1256 yards and 12 TDs. While Wilsons second best season was 723 yards and 2 TDs.

Also, there is some question about how well Wilson can play outside. His big games all came in the slot. And if our line isn't solid it wont matter a lot who is playing WR.

It doesn't mean that Wilson wont bloom as an outside guy in the NFL. But its a risky move for a top 10 pick, especially when its so hard to find quality linemen, and IMO probably an overdraft.

#208 ouchy, Apr 29, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2022
    barfolomew and Suepersonic like this.
  9. BudJet

BudJet Well-Known Member

I agree, you can't worry about other teams getting good players if you take the players that are best for your team...ala Sauce & KT. Giants did good with 2 picks, but we did GREAT with 3 picks..

barfolomew, LAJet and MDJets like this.
  10. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

I just don't think there's any way we can say the 7th best WR prospect isn't likely to be quite a bit worse than the 1st best one, and we can't say Wilson was an overdraft when 4 out of the next 8 picks were WRs.

Regarding the Moore example - Moore was pretty clearly a first round talent who we got lucky to get in the 2nd round because last year's WR class had so much high end talent. We can't bank on that happening every year and it's a bit misleading to use him as an example of it being a good idea to wait until the 2nd to get a WR.

We hadn't taken a WR in the first round in 20 years until yesterday and it's no coincidence we've had a passing game so bad it prevented us from competing for most of those 20 years.

11. Will-I-Am-Not

Will-I-Am-Not Well-Known Member

Cough: Dee Milliner

12. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

The only thing is, if you can't get excited after draft night, is there any point in being a fan anymore?

Yes, of course, it is all on paper but folks saying we will know in 3 years if it was a good draft, man, what a crap way to enjoy sports that must be.

I watch sport to get away from the mundane, of course, I am extremely lucky to have my soccer team winning atm but ever the optimist it toom me 37 years to see them finally win something and it is 37 years since I became a Jets fan.

Spooky

Now, what do they say around here?

Championship ;)

13. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Seen this movie before for many many years. Saw the endings too. Sorry, but the draft isn't something to lose my shit over. Its just hope and potential wrapped around young talent that hasn't played or won an NFL game yet. What matters is how these pieces fit into the bigger picture of the NY Jets. If it doesn't translate into wins, then we get to do it all over again the next year same bat time, same bat channel. After a decade of losing, I prefer the show me side of fandom. Not the wishful thinking that never seems to come to fruition.

I'll leave the wishful thinking, daydreaming part to younger more enthusiastic fans. Just not me anymore...Besides, I get excited fishing. More reward than watching the Jets lose year after year expecting a different result. Maybe one day they start to win. Who knows...

Ralebird and BrowningNagle like this.
  14. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Who said you have to lose your shit over it?

Surely as a fan, you can look at it and go, fuck we seem to have drafted 3 decent players, and then look forward to September, I mean there is seriously no point in being a fan otherwise, I just find it odd that people feel the need to be miserable.

Again I agree they need to do it on the pitch but it is a cold world to live in if you have to wait 3 years to say hey that was a good draft as one poster was implying earlier on.

It is sport, sport is just a fantasy land for people who work hard in their real life.

You don't think the Pats fans are now hoping they return to the top after such a downturn in their fortunes, I know in our football, the Utd fans are only now realising that they are actually a shit football team and are far away from winning the league as they have ever been, all hail the Glazers, true joy bringers to the English football fans lol

chandler likes this.
  15. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

I'm not miserable at all. Its been a long time since the Jets had the ability to make me miserable. If this draft turns out better than the '21 draft? Great. If not? back to the drawing board. Not excited either as again, the Jets have had decent drafts and every decade or so, they have a relatively successful season. I'm looking forward to the season and how this new talent will improve the team. Until then, its all wishful thinking. Nothing to base a rating on yet except their combined college careers. How it translates to the NFL is what matters as every one of these kids have great highlight film.
    The Jets get in the SB, the playoffs or even the AFCCG? Color me excited. Until then, its just another season in a long line of seasons that ended mostly the same way. That's why I don't get excited over the draft. That's why I follow college football when the championship is on the line. If the Jets win? Great. If they lose? Nothing new and back to the drawing board again. Either way, nothing changes in my day and life goes on..

Ralebird likes this.
  16. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

That's a ridiculous assessment.

For starters 12 TDs in an 11 game season is awesome and you try to make it out to be a bad thing???

Makes no sense. But even IF his raw numbers were bad, he had Chris Olave, who is also good, on the same team taking up statistical numbers as well, FFS there is only 1 football to go 'round.

Talk about how he is a funky route runner or how he is small or anticipates contact too much, ya know, real weaknesses, if you want but the raw numbers argument is silly. Especially when you are talking about a guy with a 12 TD season who I'll remind you, was the reason the no. 12 overall selection sat the bench and transferred

#216 BrowningNagle, Apr 29, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2022
  17. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Pretty much how I feel as well. Its not the 1st time the draft nerds have praised the Jets draft, its happened multiple times during this playoff drought in fact

Cman68 likes this.
  18. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

they were but to be fair wilson was the only WR worthy of a top 10 pick IMO and he was the one we got. he was comparable to like a jerry jeudy prospect wise. london, burks, and dotson were way overdrafted IMO and olave and williams were slightly overdrafted. We got the best WR value in the draft.

19. JackBower

JackBower Well-Known Member

I went to bed after they picked ten, thrilled they got back into the first and grabbed a DE they had very high on their board.

It's hard not to be optimistic.

ouchy likes this.
  20. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

It is for some