How would you grade the Jets first round draft performance?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by HackettSuxTNG, Apr 28, 2022.

?

How would you grade the Jets first round draft performance?

1. A+

104 vote(s)
    67.5%
  2. A

32 vote(s)
    20.8%
  3. A-/B+

9 vote(s)
    5.8%
  4. B

5 vote(s)
    3.2%
  5. C

2 vote(s)
    1.3%
  6. D

2 vote(s)
    1.3%
  7. F

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

I felt the same way. If they were not going to go edge and take a luxury pick I would be much more comfortable if it was Icky. Hard not to be excited about a player many call the best OL in years. That being said the FO must really really love Gardner to take him at 4 and we need star players.

The one thing I thought they did extremely well was timing. They got the best corner, they took Wilson right before the big rush on WRs. By pick 14 or 15 all of the top WRs were gone and there was no one left. He also timed the trade-up for JJ beautifully. There is a lot to a draft such as identifying talent, identifying players that fit the CS scheme, being strategic and taking players at the right spot, being able to think fast enough to make trades, being connected enough to make trades, having a top level scouting and FO staff and having a feel for the draft. JD seems to have all these qualities. I have said this for the last 3 years that I have never seen another Jets GM move around a draft like JD getting good value for each pick.

Borat, Brook!, Jets79 and 3 others like this.
  2. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

Yeah, that's the beauty of this pick. I didn't see it until after the pick was made.

3. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

I had a similar reaction to the Sauce pick. I didn't like it at first solely because I didn't think they needed a CB. When they took Wilson, I felt better but not great. The trade up for Johnson really made me feel great about the whole thing. Good CBs help pass rush and good pass rushers help CBs; they got good synergy with those two picks.

Then I saw Saleh's reaction to Sauce being the pick and I was sold. Saleh was unbelievably excited for him and I trust our HC.

Borat, Jets79, Jeff M and 1 other person like this.
  4. AndyDrums

AndyDrums Well-Known Member

As non sexy as it is/was, they had to draft a shut down CB with Diggs, Hill, Waddle in our division

Pepsiguy5, barfolomew and dmw like this.
  5. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

I tend to agree with you about Douglas' results and I think there's no question he made some major early missteps on the OL especially.

But it's also not hyperbole to say Douglas replaced one of the worst GMs of all time in Maccagnan. Mac not only drafted terribly but he was terrible in free agency and with trades. That has to mean something in terms of how long it should take to right that ship.

boozer32, Jets79 and K'OB like this.
  6. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Ya me neither. I thought for sure JD would go T or Edge.
    Why was it so hard for us to see Sauce as the player who helps our team the most?

dmw and LAJet like this.
  7. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Because we're not as smart as Douglas and Saleh!:p

8. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Like others, I originally had the grade at C+ because I wanted linemen with the premium picks. When JJ fell to 26 and we got him the grade shot up to B+/A-.

My pros from last night:
    -Got a potential superstar at corner. And we need some of those badly.
    -Got a top edge prospect. Huge need and huge win.
    -Upgraded our WR room with Wilson.

Cons from last night:
    -IMO we should have gotten 2 top linemen. Especially Icky.
    -Didn't want to use a 1st on any WR this draft, especially in the top 10. TBH I'm not sure Moore isn't better than Wilson, and we got him at 34. Not sure we got a true #1.
    -To get JJ we had to trade up and use 35, 69, and 163 (got 101 back). I hate trading up after being 4-12, but JJ is still a much better move than AVT, and the move saved round 1.

Other first round musings:
    If I had my choice we'd have gotten Icky (4), JJ (10) and if we traded up, got Linderbaum or Devon Llyod in the mid 20s. Then WR at 38.

I think receivers going crazy with contracts suddenly made rookie WRs more valuable to a lot of teams. This helped JJ fall to us so for once luck went our way. Thank you Tyrek Hill, Deebo Samual, and the rest...

The Eagles got AJ Brown for picks 18 and 90. Means we probably could have got him for 10. IMO the Titans got worse last night.

Pick 16 went from Indy, to Phily, to NO, to Washington, and pick 29 went from SF, to Miami, to KC, to NE. Those were some traveled picks.

Look forward to seeing our new guys in the field.

#188 ouchy, Apr 29, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2022
    Pepsiguy5, Brook!, Jets79 and 3 others like this.
  9. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The problem as I see it is that Douglas sank a listing ship and has been trying to raise it from the depths ever since with questionable results. There was no good reason for us to suffer through 2-14 in 2020 and the 4-13 last year was basically a lost year as well. Odds are overwhelming that we're looking at 5-12 maybe 6-11 this year if we get a bit lucky. That's not a path that a rebuilding team is on it is the rails that a rapidly approaching train wreck rides.

10. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

This and last year's draft are good examples that we fans can't know as much about the team - its existing players as well as what is needed - as the GM and CS. And I include draft pundits in the group of "fans". No matter how much one studies the players, watches film, reads analyses, etc., we often get it wrong. I know I did, but I don't feel bad because I think Douglas has gotten it mostly right. Even in his first draft which looks to be bust at this point, I think if Gase had by some miracle actually been a good HC those picks would've worked out better. But to his credit, Douglas could learn from his mistakes and do much better (it helps having a competent CS to work with).

Anyway, my high opinion of Douglas since he got here has been reaffirmed.

boozer32 and Noam like this.
  11. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

Also same reaction here. I'm thinking SOJ trying to load up on DBs to stop the passing game when you need to get at the QB. However, Gardner is one of the few unique talents in this draft, so I was okay with it for the moment, and redemption came when they moved up to draft Johnson. It's not likely Johnson, or any Edge for that matter, will break 10 sacks in his rookie year, therefore the production edge goes to Gardner here, who should be able to shut down the opposition's top guy. I didn't think WR was a big need, but here again, Wilson along with Williams and Olave are three outstanding talents you can't pass on. Kudos to JD for selecting Wilson who will be ready day one, as opposed to Williams, who may be a tad better, but won't be ready until halfway through the season. Moving up to get Johnson, the guy they seemed to like from the Senior Bowl, is icing on the cake. I was looking to see who was left to draft and came across Daniel Jeremiah's top 150 prospects. Gardner, Wilson and Johnson are all among his top 10. As a longtime Jet draft skeptic, I am liking this draft so far.

ColoradoContrails and boozer32 like this.
  12. 3lixer.

3lixer. Active Member

This. 6-foot-3, 190 pounds with 4.41 40 speed and long arms (33½ inches). He will make everybody in the secondary and our WR's better players. Great pick and who I wanted from the start.

AndyDrums, Brook!, Mogriffjr and 2 others like this.
  13. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

This is spot on. And it was more than the Jets having Sauce rated that high. apparently so were the Giants amongst many. For them is was sauce or KT, like us.
    To disagree about the KT versus Sauce rankings is perfectly fine. But to say Sauce is not a stud CB is utter BS in my opinion. Further, upgrading at CB was a much needed element of RS D, as was Edge, not a luxury by a long stretch of the imagination.

Mogriffjr and Noam like this.
  14. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

People are questioning the Sauce pick but he at least has star potential. I would have wanted a big guy at 4 also, but at least we got a possible shut down guy/ future all pro.

The real concern that most don't see is using 10 on Wilson. This is a guy who didn't really thrive at OSU until he was moved to the slot. And we took him at 10 to be our future #1? Maybe Moore becomes the #1, or we have a bunch of solid #2s, or WIlson blooms in the NFL. Still a really risky pick.

15. Suepersonic

Suepersonic New Member

When pick #4 rolled around, I was hoping and praying the sauce was coming. The secondary was the worst in the league. Watching Jets games, all I saw was average QBs' eating us alive passing the ball. When was the last time the Jets had a coverage sack? You bring in a shutdown corner, and suddenly DJ Reed is your #2, and Bryce Hall #3. Not too shabby. I wouldn't be surprised if Jaquan Briskler is the next pick to complement Whitehead. What a sick defensive backfield that would be. They do need depth at OL, but I have to believe there's another Laken-light out there waiting to be had. With Lawson, Becton, Thomas, Martin, etc., in the mix, and with the solid starting OL and edge rushers they now have, I really don't see a better road traveled than the one they're on right now.

Brook! likes this.
  16. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Sauce was a good use of the #4. The only better use would have been a trade down.

Wilson was a safe #10 in a volatile draft where the WR's were particularly unsettled. He's got a chance to be a starter this year but the Jets also have Elijah Moore and Corey Davis to fill those roles and we have Braxton Berrios to cover the slot if need be. Nobody would have been a better WR pick on that pick. Several guys might have been a similar chance at a #1 WR but nobody would have been better.

LAJet likes this.
  17. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

I will grade AFTER I see how all of this comes together. Show me the wins and I'll show how much quality this draft actually brought us. Right now, all we have is potential but as a wise person once said... "potential means you haven't done it yet.."

18. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

This is Brad's time to shine though

Noam and cval like this.
  19. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

Speaking for myself, I'm just a fan that listens to others on Youtube and I trust their opinions more than my own.

Footballgod214 likes this.
  20. KWJetsFan

KWJetsFan Well-Known Member

I completely agree. Been down this road too many times. On paper, it looks fantastic. Then again, you can also wipe your rear end with paper.

Cman68 and CotcheryFan like this.