How would the 2020 Jets look WITHOUT Jamal Adams?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by The Dark Knight, Jun 21, 2020.

1. Thats all he reported.

so much for ever fixing the Wrs.

2. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

My personal feeling is there will be a full uninterrupted season in 2010. The jets will finish 11-5 losing to Pittsburgh in the AFC Championship game. Pitt will lose to Green Bay in the Super Bowl.
    Can't Wait!!! :D
    Just joking on the typo....

cval, JetsNation06 and KWJetsFan like this.
  3. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

Thanks Kyle

JetsNation06 likes this.
  4. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Let's talk about this again since it is official. How do the 2020 Jets look? They look like a team continuing to transition to the future.

Will Sam take the next step?

Can the O-line gel?

Can Perriman, Mims, and Crowder be good enough weapons for Sam at WR?

Will Bell return to form?

Will the D-line continue to be strong?

How much will CJ Mosley and Avery Williamson returning to the defense help?

Can Davis and McDougald replace Adams well enough that there is not too much of a drop off?

Can the Cornerback position play better than it did in 2019? (Answer: Yes!)

So the 2020 Jets do have a lot of questions and the answers truly can't be answered until September or October.

5. tubby

tubby Active Member

CJ and Avery coming back are a big addition. McDougald is an above average safety to replace Jamal. I don't think we're going to see a big drop off defensively.

Offensively? Depends on the line. I think we'll have a solid run blocking unit with some issues in pass protection. Overall the line should be better but I think it will still be a detriment in the passing game.

cval, The Dark Knight and apjbfc like this.
  6. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

The biggest concern I have on your list of questions concerns the OL. The OL may be better on paper but how can they possibly gel with no real offseason with practice time and preseason games. I do think Darnold will continue to improve being year 3 as he has more experience. I also think the defense will continue to do well led by Williams. Bell will get better once the OL can finally gel but he may struggle early in the year as I expect the OL to struggle. The schedule isn't doing them any favors facing the Bills and Niners D the 1st two weeks. As for the WR's we shall see. I expect JD will look to improve in this area in the draft and FA going forward.

The Dark Knight likes this.
  7. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

I think we can manage to miss the playoffs without jamal like we did with him the past 3 years

8. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I actually expect our Defense to be better this year without Adams. Why, you ask? I think for several reasons.

1. First, McDougald is one of the better man-to-man defenders in the NFL. He's certainly better than Adams, and with the NFL being a passing league, it stands to reason that if they're better vs. the pass, then they should be better.
    2. Mosley and quite possibly Williamson manning the ILB spots. Between them and our DL, our run defense should be every bit as good as it was last year.
    3. The Jets have several young players on the DL like Phillips that played well last year, and with a year's experience should be even better. Q. Williams wasn't much of a factor last season, but if he is everything people say that he is, that should change this year and he should become an impact player. If not, then he was just yet another horrendous Mac pick.
    4. With the addition of Pierre Desire, Quincy Wilson and Bryce Hall (not to mention Lamar Jackson and Javelin Guidry), at the very least the competition in our CB corps should be a lot tougher and make them all better. Hopefully, Bless Austin is healthy, learned a lot last year, and being able to practice and go from the beginning should help him get even better. Add in McDougald with Maye and Ashtyn Davis, and our coverage ability should be a lot better.

The lone spot where the loss of Adams will potentially be felt is in the pass rush. He provided excellent pressure last year, but let's not kid ourselves. He is no LT or Ngakoue. One thing that would help the pass rush immediately and immensely, is if Q. Williams shows up and plays up to his hype. If he does, it will make the others better. Hopefully, Jordan Jenkins continues to improve as a pass rusher, and Patrick Onwuasor, CJ Mosley, Avery Williamson (if he's still here), the secondary, and maybe UDFA Bryce Huff can provide some pressure. Who knows, maybe Javelin Guidry with his speed can be effectively used as a blitzer on 3rd down situations.

I think the offense will be better as well. This will be the first year that Sam has played in the same offense, with the same OC, and with the same HC. That alone should help him. The OL should be greatly improved from last year, even if they may struggle a little initially. The nice thing is that Becton should win more one-on-one battles even if the OL hasn't gelled and that should give Sam more time. Bell re-committed himself and worked to get in better shape. He admitted that he wasn't at his best last year, so should be motivated and with better blocking should have a better season. I don't expect much from Gore other than veteran leadership and culture changing attitude. Perine may surprise, but I'm not holding my breath on that.

Having Herndon back should be huge for Sam, and hopefully, Mims can step in and produce immediately. Crowder will produce, and I think Perriman will produce. The big question is whether anyone else in our receiving corps can/will. It would be nice if Doctson could finally play up to his value of being a 1st round draft pick, but again, I'm not holding my breath on that.

Based on what I read today about Adams not being as popular or as much of a leader in the lockerroom as many thought, it might actually help for him to be gone. There won't be any players spouting nonsense and holding themselves up as better than others. They should be more unified, more of a cohesive unit. Even with a tougher schedule, I think we can and should win 7 games at a minimum. If not, then Gase is part of the problem and he needs to go.

We have a weapon as a punter, so failing TOs, we should generally have pretty good field position and have shorter fields to drive to score. K will be a big question mark. I'm shocked that Douglas hasn't brought in another kicker.

EDIT: I totally forgot about Jabari Zuniga and Brian Poole. Poole was awesome last year, and unless it was a flash in the pan, should be equally as good this year. Zuniga should help our DL depth and possibly contribute to the pass rush as well.

I also forgot about the QB position other than Sam. The Jets have the best depth at QB that I can remember. I think that Morgan has a lot of potential, and Flacco is an experienced veteran. He should help both Sam and Morgan. Hopefully, Sam stays healthy and plays the entire season, but if not, we can feel much better about Flacco coming in rather than the stiffs we had last year or any time other than maybe a year or two when McCown was here.

#68 NCJetsfan, Jul 27, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2020
    twown and The Dark Knight like this.
  9. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Actually, I think it will be the opposite. I may be mistaken, but I think to a man, every single one of the OL added are better in pass protection than as run blockers. Becton may be the lone exception there. Again, I may be mistaken, but I think run blocking requires just as much cohesion as pass blocking does in this spread offense.

10. The Dark Knight

Great points! I agree with all of that, but I think Brett Maher can win the kicking job. He was really good in Dallas. Not sure what happened last year.

11. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

i think adams was a game changer and fit the defense really really well last year. we cannot expect the defense to be as good at being aggressive without him. the guy made a ton of plays. it will be a step backwards for the defense this year. but its not a defense only game and if the draft picks pan out the jets will be in a good position for the future.

twown and The Dark Knight like this.
  12. The Dark Knight

Yeah, I went back to 2019 to see how many games were really impacted by Adams. The answer is ALOT. The Cowboys game Adams played great and made that huge 2 point conversion stop at the end to give the Jets the win. The Giants game he took the ball out of Daniel Jones' hands for a touchdown. He had 3 sacks against the Redskins, but the Jets would have won that anyway. The Jets would have won that Raiders game too without him, and they literally did beat the Dolphins without him. The Bills and Steelers games Adams was not 100%, but still. So I don't want fans to undervalue Adams. He was really important to the team and defense's success.

However, the Jets will be getting other players back on defense and look to have improved their offense, so to say the Jets will take a step back is not accurate. The production and success will just have to be done in other ways.

alleycat9, CotcheryFan and twown like this.
  13. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

For 2020 there is no doubt the team is worse off without adams then it was with him. he is still the best S in the NFL and a game changer. without him last year we likely only win 4-6 games tops instead of 7. with that said we still missed the playoffs and we aren't geared up for a playoff run this year so who cares. What the trade does is set us up very nicely for 2021 and 2022 to really improve this roster and infuse it with young talent. It frees up money we need to keep darnold and now we can keep maye. hopefully davis can step up to fill adams spot. I don't expect him to be adams but as long as he can be a solid starter all those extra picks can be huge. we already rebuilt the o-line. the D is pretty strong still as well. we needs some WR help and CB and dge rusher but with 5 picks in the 1st 3 rounds next year and another 4 the next year that gives us potential to find 9 new starters and hopeful a couple are pro bowl level players and only a couple of busts. If we can walk away from the next 2 drafts with a pro bowl edge, CB, and WR and 3 other solid starters we'll be in a good position to make a run in 2022 or 2023. All of it depends on how JD drafts but as of now I have no reason to doubt him.

The Dark Knight and twown like this.
  14. The Dark Knight

Yeah, great points. The 2020 Jets are not going to win the Super Bowl, but hopefully they can be competitive and in the playoff hunt late in the season. You talk about the draft picks, but the Jets will also have the cap space to sign a difference maker or two, maybe a WR, maybe a pass rusher. Factor that in, and the Jets are definitely on the right track. The problem is it requires more patience from fans. I am on board, but I am not sure everyone else is yet. Especially with Adam Gase.

GasedAndConfused likes this.
  15. Trainer

Trainer Well-Known Member

This may be a heresy, but I expect the defense to be better and more importantly, more consistent than last year.

CJ will be back and this is his defense now, as it was supposed to be all along. With him and Avery in the middle, the loss of Adam's 'in the box' play will be mitigated. The addition of McDougald will help strengthen the coverage schemes. He will not be expected to be Adam's part II and he won't need to be.

Adding a pass rusher would be ideal, but the Jets may roll with what they have.

The entire season hinges on how quickly the offensive line can come together. That's a whole lot of guys who have never played as a unit, and have never played in this scheme. I'm not worried about Sam, he's the real deal. When the Oline can protect him, he's deadly.

The division front-runners are still the Patriots until they're not. With the addition of Cam, no one knows what that offense will look like. Buffalo is beatable if we cover well and take away Allen's legs (figuratively), and Miami is still a couple of years away.

Barring major injuries, the Jets could take the division, it all comes down to the Oline.

16. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

The return of CJ and Williamson will in many ways mitigate for the loss of Adams, especially if QW takes a big step forward. Maye could well move into Adams' spot, with McDougald looking a more natural fit on the back end, and could excel there. Expecting any rookies to make the team significantly better always involves a deal of projection, but it is not too unrealistic to expect at least one of Davis or Zuniga to contribute in a situational role. In the main, there's no reason to expect the D to take much, if any, of a step back. However Adams WAS a difference maker and the individual disruptive potential that he offered on any play can't really be replaced. And NFL games are often won or lost by small margins where one player makes that difference. That's the concern.

17. Jetsfansince95

Jetsfansince95 Well-Known Member

Won't be any worse than it was with him.

18. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

I think with Davis speed and Gregg Williams schemes with the addition of CJ and Avery, the defense will be very good

19. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

let me rephrase, adams allowed the dc to be able to do things he may not be able to do this year. most safeties cant play the way adams did, he reminded me a little of troy polamalu just all over the field making plays. i just think the defense may not be as dynamic as it was last year without him.

20. The Dark Knight

Yeah, hard to know. Definitely a loss in Adams. McDougald/Davis come in to replace him. Williamson and Mosley are back. The CB's will be improved with Desir and Maulet/Austin because it is hard to be worse than Johnson and Roberts last year. Hopefully Quinnen Williams makes more of an impact too. So the defense will likely still be strong. Adams' playmaking will be missed but that is why you get 2 1st Rounds Picks and a 3rd Rounder for him.

matt robinson 17 and alleycat9 like this.