How will they look after the bye?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NYJ1970, Oct 16, 2021.

1. cval

cval Well-Known Member

That game should have been a blowout. The Patriots are overrated and we will give them a game. It will be close Jets 23-20

2. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

In Wilson's press conference (tuesday) they talked about a wednesday practice and then leaving for home. So they were off thursday-sunday. Some coaches give them 5 days and dont do the wednesday practice. It sounds like the Jets did something though, even if it was just a short walk-through.

The extra prep time is overblown. The only real "extra" practice becomes Monday since usually it's an off day or film day cause the players are all banged up from Sunday. In this case the Jets will be practicing today and the Patriots wont but it kinda evens out since its a Patriots home game, they dont have to travel on Friday like the Jets do

the color commentators like to talk up the "extra prep time" but the bye week's advantage is mostly physical more than anything, the players get a week off to heal and rest up.

Brook! and FJF like this.
  3. BrowningNagle

shoulda been a blowout in which direction?

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  4. cval

cval Well-Known Member

The Cowboys gave away a TD and gifted another by going for it on that 4th down. The Cowboys made that game close not the Patriots playing well. With that being said the Patriots are never an easy out and the Jets will have to play well to win. This game is definitely winnable it does not mean we will win.

Mack did look good besides the pick 6 and the fumbles.

LAJet and Red Menace like this.
  5. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Both teams still suck...did you see them against the Cards? Yikes....Browns are still a long way away.

6. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

It’s scary that the Cowboys can make those type of mistakes on the road and overcome them to win. If Mcarthy was a little more conservative and I mean a little, that team could walk all over their opponents on Sundays.

They have a stud for a QB and a lot of weapons, the oline is once again one of the best in the league. Cowboys are a very balanced team.

@abyzmul must be dreading his visits to in-laws with Cowboys doing well.

SOJAZ and cval like this.
  7. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

I married into a diehard Cowboys family and I have to say, it's friggen great. While my team is a joke, I get to watch a really good and exciting team with other people who cheer and clap and have fun. I'll go to my grave saying we should have taken Lamb but at least he ended up on a team I watch and kinda root for weekly.

8. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Funny thing. I seem to remember that some brave Jet fans on this site actually wanted a trade for Dak before the draft. And as it is often the case, many others shit all over the idea stating Dak was not remotely worth it. So far, that might have been the worst assessment of a player talent this year, as Dak has played lights out and in contention for most valuable player.

9. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I think it can be two-fold though. One can recognize that Dak is an excellent player while the trade itself wouldn't have made a whole lot of sense for the Jets.

Any one who knocked Dak before the season really never sat down and watched him play though.

Red Menace and LAJet like this.
  10. BrowningNagle

I loved him at Miss St. I watched him do it all. But even from someone who loved the way he played football, I didnt think he would ever become as good of a pocket passing QB as he is now

11. FrontOfficeFanatic

FrontOfficeFanatic Well-Known Member

I have a bad feeling about this game--just being real guys. I'm not convinced Zach is anywhere close to ready yet--even though he's been doing a great job at the podium and how he communicates.

His composure these last games just tells a different story.

My fandom wants this to be a breakout game, but I think this will look more like Sam's second game vs. the Pats. Wilson is going to lean heavily on the run game and not try to make mistakes--he will be forced to throw more late in the game though.

My prediction:

17/32 -- 220 yards -- 1 TD 2 INT

The Patriots are a poor matchup for him--complex defense with a lot of exotic coverages. I'm going to do my best to really just hold my nose this year and see what next year brings for him. I made the mistake of watching Lawrence vs. Miami and looks like a different level of QB'ing even from a rookie.

SOJAZ, Yankjetfan and NYJetsO12 like this.
  12. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I was one of the ones against trading for Dak, and I'll own it. I was totally wrong about him. I never thought that he'd amount to much in the NFL, but that was primarily based on the fact that I didn't know much about him. Since we had Darnold at the time, I knew that we weren't going to be drafting a QB, so I didn't do a lot of research on him or watch a lot of video. He is definitely a top 5 QB in the NFL. All that said, I still am glad we didn't trade for him. It would have cost too much, and we'd have had little in the way of draft capital with which to build around him. We'd probably have been in much worse shape than the Texans. I believe in Zach and think he will be just as good as Dak, if not better within a year or two.

FrontOfficeFanatic likes this.
  13. FrontOfficeFanatic

FrontOfficeFanatic Well-Known Member

I'm with you NC, I didn't like Dak early on. I was very wrong.

Ralebird likes this.
  14. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

I actually agree with your conclusion, I still think the trade would not have been good for us in the longer run, way too many variables and youth across the board, but I'm happy to see him doing so well after the devastating injury. I do believe we need to grow around Wilson and help develop him, as well the young talent around him, and above all strengthen the offensive coaching position, be it in play calling, game planning and preparation or on the fly game changes. We need an experienced grey beard coach to help in that area badly.

#54 LAJet, Oct 18, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2021
  15. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

I'm leaning in the same direction. My fear is BB out coaching and schooling our young OC. Wilson can not overcome a poor first quarter of play never mind a half. They need to create a set of plays that Wilson is most comfortable with and figure out a way to get some sort of a running game. If they disregard our running game as a THREAT, the passing windows will be crushed and Wilson will be OVERWHELMED BY THEIR DEFENSIVE FORMATIONS.

#55 LAJet, Oct 18, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2021
  16. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

Probably mixed bag, I just want to see growth and progress in development. Can Zach get better with the boring plays? Will coaching improve on offense? Wide Receivers doing their part? Etc.

SOJAZ, REVISion and NYJetsO12 like this.
  17. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

If BB outcoaches and schools our OC, BB is not doing anything new that everyone else is doing this year. Wilson and LaFleur have looked like the 8th grade playing the varsity all year so far. I really hope the jets try something new on offense, be it Moore, Mims, Yeboah, etc. What we are trying is not working AND none of those guys are getting needed development reps. Crowder and Cole are likely goners after this year. If we are gonna suck, can't we at least suck developing some of those younger players?

Brook!, SOJAZ, NCJetsfan and 2 others like this.
  18. cval

cval Well-Known Member

Dak is a very easy player to root for. He is a great ambassador for the NFL. Dak was good QB until last season, then he became great. The only question was how had the injury affected him. The crazy thing is the injury might have made him a better QB as he looking to run way less.

Brook!, NCJetsfan, REVISion and 2 others like this.
  19. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

"The definition of Insanity is trying the same thing over and over while expecting a different result"

Albert Einstein

tomdeb likes this.
  20. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

Funny you mentioned he’s easy to root for, I have always hated the Cowboys but with Dak as their QB and Mcarthy as their HC I’m rooting for them to win it all.