How will they look after the bye?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NYJ1970, Oct 16, 2021.

1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

It will be interesting to see what LaFleur's plan of attack will be. One one hand, I think you're right, that they should go with a more conservative approach, establishing the run and throwing short, safe passes. OTOH, that's probably what Belichick expects the Jets to do and will have his team prepared to defend. I'd much prefer that LaFleur have a flexible plan or a plan B that he can switch to early that takes what the Pats give them. If the Patriots come out with 8-9 in the box prepared to stop the run and prevent short passes, then take the intermediate and longer throws until they back off. If they come out like last time prepared to defend the downfield passing attack, then switch to short, underneath routes until the Pats start sitting on the short stuff, and then kill them over the top.

In the NFL, unless one has a killer offense that can do whatever it wants, I don't think the answer is going with a rigid plan of attack, either conservative or aggressive. Too many teams lose that way. They're determined to impose their will on the other team rather than just taking what the other team's D gives them. Flexibility is the name of the game. Win smart and forget the macho BS.

FrontOfficeFanatic likes this.
  2. Jets69

Jets69 Well-Known Member

Im sure like in typical Jets fashion, they'll be completely awful after the bye, then just like always everyone will complain how could they have 2 weeks to prepare, and play so terrible, I'd sure like for this team to prove me wrong, but I know better.

NoodleArm, REVISion, Jets79 and 3 others like this.
  3. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

That we consistently lose.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  4. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

I had a look back over the past 12 years, back to Ryan's first season. Over those 12 campaigns, the Jets have gone 2-10 in games after the bye week, with an average scoreline of 17-26.

So I expect the Jets to lose 17-26.

5. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

The problem is LaFleur and Salah aren't paying attention to what Vilma and ouchy suggest

Bye Bye Jets

Jets79 likes this.
  6. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

What Lafluer has often been doing the last few weeks is he has been giving Wilson 2 plays where he can audible out of one if he does not like what he sees. In some of the film break downs of Wilson the last 2 weeks you can see and hear him audibling out of run plays into a stacked box into a successful pass play. Hopefully he will get more freedom.

But, i think the conservative approach of running on 1st down 70 percent of the time in the 1st quarter is helping dig a hole. Rather they need to set up the run with successful passes along with more of a quick passing game. The biggest challenge is getting early offensive where we can still be in the game by the time the offense gets moving. If a young team can stay in the game their confidence only grows.

FJF, cval and REVISion like this.
  7. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

I would agree with at the start of the season. A quarter in it’s clear this is 100% a developmental year. Play the young guys and see who will part of the future.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  8. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

First down passing is good but in this case only if it is accompanied by a resolve to run a lot on down and distance that would otherwise put Wilson at a disadvantage.

You can't fix what's wrong with Zach Wilson by having him be the focal point of the offense. All that does is to set him up for failure with a large percentage of the downs he throws on being unfavorable to throw on.

NYJetsO12, ouchy and Cman68 like this.
  9. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

I agree--start Mims, put Moore in the slot. Even play Yeboah. Move Crowder or Berrios. What the hell do we have to lose?. Starting to think Moore will become another Terrance Mathis. Drafted in the 6th round by the jets in 1990, Mathis was a part- timer with the jets for 4 years. He later signed with the falcons, who made him a full-time slot receiver, and he became a star.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  10. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I agree that this is a developmental year and with playing the young guys. The problem is, however, what about Zach's development? How is he supposed to develop when his WRs are dropping 10% or more of his passes and our TEs suck?

cval likes this.
  11. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Jets X Factor did an all 22 breakdown of Moore. He’s getting open. The plays are breaking down, Zach’s not seeing him and/or throwing the best ball. So Moore’s silence has not been a realizability situation.

12. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

13. SOJAZ

SOJAZ Well-Known Member

Cman, the problem is the panthers are a young team too and are 3-3 with an OL that is absolutely worse then ours ( I mean its a Fkig jail break 50% of the time and that is an accurate stat) yet they lost to Dallas by a TD at the end of the game and just lost in OT to Viks. So the rookie, rookie, rookie mantra is nonsense and pure BS. This CS better have this team playing competitively for 60 minutes starting with NE or personally I will start to believe they are "just" not good enough.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  14. SOJAZ

SOJAZ Well-Known Member

JV, a great example of what your referring too is the panthers OC actually stated he makes no adjustments at Halftime and the reason why they lost the last two games was execution... not the fact that their OL is the absolute worst - see above.

15. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

The Jets have a long way to go to be a contender. For that matter, New England will not readily contend for a playoff spot either. it will be a stretch. Jets might be a four game winner, Pats six or seven.

Red Menace likes this.
  16. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

I really hope they win 4 games.

NCJetsfan and LAJet like this.
  17. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

The trend seems to be that we continue on with our ineptitude overall. The hope Is that we see further indication that this team Is heading In the right direction, a sure fire way to build that confidence Is to actually come out of the bye week, FAST.

Will that happen? I doubt It. I'm guessing we look worse than we did the prior week.

I'm a negative bastard though. Hope I'm wrong.

Snatch Catch likes this.
  18. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

We have every right to be negative, Jets are what Cleveland used to be, our team sucks!

19. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

We always seem to come out flat after a bye, so I’m going to assume the same until proven otherwise. Yes I know this is a new coaching staff but our trend runs through Rex, Bowles and Gase, so seems like the coaches change but the stench remains

also, NE is a much better team than we are…maybe not on a player by player basis if you just go by position groups, but clearly with them the whole is better than the sum of the parts….gotta be coaching. And cheating, of course. But they just took a very good Dallas team to overtime. We would have gotten blown out by 20 against Dallas.

I don’t expect to come out of a bye and beat a decent NE team. Not that I think NE is all that, because I think they’re likely. .500 team give or take a game. But I think we are not close to a .500 team yet.

will be hoping for a win but expecting a loss.

20. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

It would have been encouraging if there was any word from Florham Park about adjustments being made in the approach to the game. Not specifics but some talk about recognizing those things that haven't been working. I don't even know when the Jets started their four days off, which could have been any time from Thursday though Saturday, but I would hope they started on Thursday to get them back on the practice field Monday for an extra day of preparation with some changes planned.

NYJetsO12 and IIMeanDeanII like this.