How will they look after the bye?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NYJ1970, Oct 16, 2021.

1. NYJ1970

NYJ1970 Well-Known Member

One measure of a HC's true aptitude for coaching players is how a team looks after an extended break? All of the truly good coaches of the past Parcells, Walsh, Bellichick, among others are hard enough to beat on one week of preparation. You give those guys a longer period of time and it becomes a lot harder.

I'll be very interested to see how this young Jets team plays after the bye. Saleh now has 5 game tapes to look at. He'll have an extended period of time to work with the offense. He'll have an extended period of time to attend Lafleurs meetings with the offense. Even though Saleh came from the defensive side of the ball, he's going to have to get his hands dirty dealing with the other part of football.

This team might be young and inexperienced, but that doesn't mean they don't have talent on the team. For me, the excuse of not having enough talent is no longer a decent excuse. The Jets have a pretty good defense. The Jets have decent special teams. The Jets have BETTER talent on offense than what they're showing right now.

And lastly, the patsies are a very beatable team. The patsies are nothing special. At full strength they're not a very good team, but now throw in the fact they have quite a little injury epidemic going on right now. Against the Texans the patsies were down 4 starting OL and they barely eaked out a win against the full on disaster Texans.

NCJetsfan, Pepsiguy5, Noam and 4 others like this.
  2. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

The Patriots have a better CS than we do. In fact, short selling the Patriots is something this fanbase does every year and we still get our asses kicked annually so, can we stop being obsessed with the Patriots and start dealing with teams in our weight class? Hell, we couldn't handle ATL. What makes you think the Texans will be a cakewalk let alone beating the Patriots in Foxboro?

The Jets never come out of the bye ready to play. The next that happens will be the FIRST time that happened. Add in ROOKIE, ROOKIE, ROOKIE and if I were you, I wouldn't look for much up in Foxboro except another ass kickin. Maybe we'll be competitive up there but I doubt it.

They can use the ROOKIE ROOKIE ROOKIE excuse all year long. The record will show just how much progress is being made... or not. This falls on the entire team and its command structure and yeah, that includes JD and Saleh.

In short, this CS needs to get this shit fixed at some point this season. The ROOKIE ROOKIE ROOKIE excuse will run out sooner than they think.

#2 Cman68, Oct 16, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2021
  3. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

Spot on Cman, right now Jets are an easy win on schedule of teams that are going to contend for playoffs.

#3 Red Menace, Oct 16, 2021
    Jets79, Brook! and legler82 like this.
  4. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

The hope is that they come out of the bye and looks like there's actually been some adjusting. The offense looks tweaked to what they anticipate they'll see, the defense looks rested and there is no confusion on assignments.

I think too often, coaches just take the bye week to drill into their players heads what they did wrong with the current scheme rather than change the scheme (even if slightly) to play to the strengths of the team after they identified weaknesses.

The Pats coaching staff is so damn good because they never ask players to do anything they know they aren't capable of. That's why Mac Jones is top ten in completions despite not lighting the league on fire.

5. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

This is the most frustrating part of being a Jet fan.....Rex, Bowles, Gase, it doesn't matter....we ALWAYS look flat and lose after the bye week.

AndyDrums, SOJAZ, Jets79 and 4 others like this.
  6. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

I think we need to get back to basics on offense.

Simplify the gameplan to maximize the success for Zach. I know the word is that his football IQ is high but he's still being moved along way to fast for a rookie. He is being asked to do too much this early in his career. More running plays, faster developing pass plays, and just focus on moving the chains over continually going downfield. We don't have the talent up front to continually go downfield anyways. Maybe we could try something revolutionary - like establishing the run first.

Are we an outside zone running team or not? I cant tell. Make up your mind and develop it in practice. Our running game has no identity which means we have no bread and butter plays.

Move Moore into the slot, like he should've always been, and get Mims out wide. Wide receivers also have to be developed in the NFL - and this season should be focused on developing them. Enough with the "Moore can play everywhere" stuff. He excels in the slot so lets let him excel in his natural position. I don't care if Mims runs the same 4 routes all game - he should be starting outside. His size alone makes defenses have to adjust.

Have at least a dozen scripted plays to start the game. For the love of God, have a dozen plays that we have practiced to death and are ready to execute from drive 1. No more slow starts.

I guess what I'm really saying is lets get back to being what we said we were going to be at the start of the season. Were too young and undeveloped to keep getting cute with our gameplans. We don't need to be fancy and we're not ready for fancy yet anyway. Simplify the game and play hard hat football. Play to everyone strength and just move the chains.

#6 ouchy, Oct 16, 2021
  7. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Good post. That’s it; I got nothing to add.

NYJ1970 likes this.
  8. Jonathan_Vilma

We look very confused about what our running identity is. At the same time - that identity can change every week based on matchups but should be adjusted as the game goes on.

I'm not sure why LaFleur + friends can't figure out a way to put Davis, Crowder and Moore on the field at the same time in formations that make sense for all three players. Can we stack Crowder + Moore for fucks sake? I could see three or four receiver sets with Davis as the sole receiver on one side and Moore/Crowder working off each other in tight splits.

These dickheads seem incredibly intent on lining Elijah Moore up on the outside and running him way down the field.

[​IMG]

Moore + Crowder should live in this formation to the offensive right and run a combination of routes with Davis on the offensive left running slants, deep comebacks and sit routes based on the coverage. Let Moore + Crowder wreck the defense by running in and out and getting their defenders moving left to right whilst running into each other with the tightend sitting in a 5 yard sit either in or out.

9. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

That formation would also be excellent for a quick hit passing game, which is exactly what Zach needs more of.

10. Jonathan_Vilma

I'd go one step further and put Berrios in that TE position unless we're running a toss or outside run.

11. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

Yeah they could use more of quick passing. Zach loves to push the ball downfield so he def has the knack for wanting the bigger play, but those little ones can help keep that ball moving.

Jets79 and ouchy like this.
  12. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

Because our fucking OC is insistent on running 12 personnel with Ryan Griffin and Tyler fucking Kroft.

13. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

The sad thing about adjustments is that it usually means your original idea was shit in the first place.

I long for the day we don’t need to adjust for an extended period. Every half-time? Every mid-season? How about just getting things right?

ColoradoContrails and NCJetsfan like this.
  14. Jonathan_Vilma

Eh the NFL is all about adjustments. That's why every team in the league defers if they win the coin toss. Adjustments is a broad term that means calling different plays and a different scheme than the opposing team expects.

BrooklynJetsFan and NYJ1970 like this.
  15. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I'm hoping the Jets bring on a full depressive outbreak for Belichik and the Pats frontrunners.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  16. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Trade Crowder, move Moore to the slot and Mims to the #2.

17. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

Hold on a minute... it almost sounds like your advocating at least a "little bit" of brake. :)

On a more serious note... I agree.

ouchy likes this.
  18. NYJ1970

NYJ1970 Well-Known Member

BS. An NFL game on a play by play basis is a chess match. You go into a game with a certain game plan that more than likely works and keeps the defense off balance. However, it doesn't work forever. The opposing HC will make adjustments. That forces you to make adjustments and so on and so forth. It's a constant battle of wit. A game within a game....

SOJAZ likes this.
  19. FrontOfficeFanatic

FrontOfficeFanatic Well-Known Member

I think we end up going super conservative against the Pats on offense. Coaching staff going to rely on the defense to keep the game close and try to control the clock via the run game and conservative passes.

If your defense plays well and we can run the ball even somewhat effectively--I would expect it to be a 17-10 loss for us.

I just don't see Zach airing it out a bunch and I think it's going to be hard to shake that 4 int game off so fast. I think with Zach, if improvement and maturation do come, it's going to be next year. A full year and offseason in the system, a full year catching up to NFL speed and adding more support around him.

ouchy likes this.
  20. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I like moving Moore to the slot and Mims to the #2 WR spot. I like the idea of trading Crowder less. Crowder isn't the most talented WR we have, but is probably the most reliable WR we have. He gets open, he catches the ball, and makes plays. Moore hasn't done squat, but that isn't totally his fault. How about making Moore beat Crowder out? Zach needs the WRs who are the most reliable and productive playing.