How/Why did you become a Jets fan?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BuddyRyans46, Oct 8, 2018.

1. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

2. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Ever been to New Jersey?

3. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I think she's just disgusted with the Jets' play this season. Hopefully, she'll be back.

4. NCJetsfan

I love you guy, bit I absolutely do NOT want NYJUNC back. This site is infinitely better without him. He drug the level of discussion down with his bizarre takes.

5. NCJetsfan

I remember SundayJack, but don't remember either of those two. They must have been before I joined.

6. NCJetsfan

I'm not. I was born and raised in NC. When I was 7-8 I became a Yankees fan thanks to CBS Yankee game of the week. Mickey Mantle became my "hero." A few years later when the AFL came along and NBC started broadcasting their games, I became hooked. They were much more fun than the stuffy NFL with the exception of the Vince Lombardi GB Packers. I'm still a Packers' fan, but it's Joe Namath's fault I became a Jets fan, and they've been my favorite team ever since.

#166 NCJetsfan, Jan 1, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2021
  7. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Yeah i miss Biggs.

8. b.reyes16

b.reyes16 Well-Known Member

Aunt was a big Jets fan from Jersey. Went to her house as youngster and she was watching the game. My favorite color is green so just decided to root for the green team that day and the rest was...misery? That's how the saying goes, right?

9. Jedi mind tricks

Jedi mind tricks Well-Known Member

Ew not if I can help it

10. Jedi mind tricks

Jedi mind tricks Well-Known Member

Man I'm jealous of you guys who had Namath and got to watch him

matt robinson 17 likes this.
  11. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

Watching him at Shea was my favorite moment as a Jets fan, his howitzer arm throwing bullets threw the Shea winds, it was awesome

Jedi mind tricks likes this.
  12. GreenFan15J

GreenFan15J Well-Known Member

Managed a group of techs that didn’t,t get along well. Started a football pool to give them something in common. Worked extremely well! Didn’t have a team just liked running the pool.

Years later my cousin takes me to a Jets Game. I think it was fall 1996. Nosebleed seats, puking fans, beer, roar of the crowd, Jets cheers...I bought some green and white stuff.

Overall it was definitely tailgating that sealed the deal.

Miss my tailgate buds. Think this COVID shit will be behind us by next fall. That first tailgate is going to be a blowout!

May need a round trip Uber pickup truck reservation...

Brook! and Jedi mind tricks like this.
  13. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

Got into the NFL in the mid-1980s when it started to become a thing in the UK - it was basically me and one mate when we were at school - he initially went with the NY Giants so I went with the NY Jets (he shifted to the Niners though after the first year) - I certainly got the crappy end of that deal

Crazy how much things have changed - in the 80s the only way to hear any live games was to get a short wave radio and tune into the Armed Forces radio station that used to broadcast to US troops stationed in Germany :)

14. patleahy

patleahy Well-Known Member

until i joined this board I NEVER realized the Jets had so many fans in the UK lol!!!

donkey likes this.
  15. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

It was the loss to Denver in AFC championship game in 1998. That day I decided to pull for Vinny T, Martin, Chrebet, and company.

I just didn't like the Giants as a kid, everyone around me was a Giants fan.

16. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

Vinny was good that day, Curtis and Keith Byars fumbled, guys that never fumbled, Van Duke fumbled, Meggett didn't field the kickoff, he let every punt bounce 20 yards, if not for all that Blake Spence would have been a Jet fans household name

patleahy likes this.
  17. 88toon

88toon Well-Known Member

Cool thread. I remember pretty vividly. Parents were not from this country so American Football was not something watched at all in the house. I remember being 8 (1982) years old and after church one Sunday out in the Hamptons where I grew up, we stopped at some other church goers house named the Donegans. They were an older couple who were empty nesters and would have us over from time to time. For some reason, my older brother and sister were with cousins so was just me and the parents. Parents were having lunch in the kitchen with the older couple and the TV was on in the living room with the Jets on. Jet's were playing the Dolphins. I don't remember the exact game (1st or 2nd of the season) or score or who even won, but I just remember being absolutely mesmerized by what I was watching. Didn't understand everything, but it just drew me in. So next week was a must watch again. When church ended and my parents were saying bye to everyone, I remember being super anxious and wanting to go home to watch football again. Not even to watch the Jets so much, just football. And this team in green from my good ole state of NY was on again. Those green uniforms just looked so damn cool to me as a kid. Next xmas, all I wanted was jets gear.

Its funny looking back at family photos. ½ of them had me in Jets gear.

So while most of you have someone to blame for you becoming a Jets fan, I have nobody to blame but myself. So I am responsible for my own misery.

18. patleahy

mattrobinson, I was honestly surprised....that game started off perfectly fitting the classic Parcells/Belichick paradigmatic upset of a heavily favored team ...and then in the 2nd half, things just went south from out of nowhere. I am convinced that the vast majority of Jets Nation felt we were going to the Super Bowl that year, ESP after that first half in Denver.

19. patleahy

LOL yeah he was, lol. There's no doubt about that, @CotcheryFan ;)

20. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

It was 1984 and I had started watching the NFL on Channel 4 in the UK the previous year. With a new season on the way, I needed a team and I thought 'New York Jets' was by far the coolest name, and I also loved their uniforms. So I picked the Jets and they gave me some fun in early 1984, some excitement in 1985, genuine hopes for a Super Bowl in 1986... and you know the rest.

For the record, I considered supporting the Rams, because I'm from Derby and the football team there is called the Rams. I never really considered New England, despite being English, because their helmet design had a traitorous rebel on it and the Queen would never have spoken to me again.

I still look back on those mid-eighties unis with great affection, and players like Freeman McNeil, Ken O'Brien, Wesley Walker, Lance Mehl and Joe Fields will always be special to me.