How/Why did you become a Jets fan?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BuddyRyans46, Oct 8, 2018.

1. playtowinthegame

playtowinthegame Well-Known Member

Most of us are fans of the Jets because of our fathers.

Jedi mind tricks, Cman68 and REVISion like this.
  2. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

How did I miss your dickhead actions? Looks like my new job hasn’t been good for forum. Rest a month, drop the dick attitude or else find a new forum.

3. patleahy

patleahy Well-Known Member

As one of the most difficult Jets season winds to a close, an intriguing question is....why did you become a Jets fan? what was it about the Jets that made you decide to "throw in your lot" with this franchise, as opposed to any of the other NFL franchises which were in existence when you first became a fan? Was it simply a matter of geographical location, ie-the Jets were your "local team." Or because someone in your family was already a die-hard Jets fan, so that you were kind if "born into" Jets fandom? Or maybe you have a really cool or unique story about how you became a Jets fan, that doesn't have anything to do with where you grew up or what team your family rooted for? So why did you guys become Jets fans?

For my part, I became a Jets fan in the mid 80's, when I first started following football as a kid. I loved Ken O'Brien and thought he was one of the best QBs in the NFL. I also liked a lot of guys on those teams, Klecko, Toon, Freeman McNeil, et. al. Great thread idea btw, @BuddyRyans46. I always enjoy your posts, lol. :)

#83 patleahy, Dec 30, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2021
  4. RPOZ51

RPOZ51 Well-Known Member

I think it was Satan.

Jedi mind tricks likes this.
  5. patleahy

oh come on RPOZ51.....you know what I meant. I knew we were going to have jokey jokesters saying they became Jets fans because they were "suicidal" or were "masochists" etc. but I am actually being serious. All jokes about the Jets and suffering aside, why did you choose to become a Jets fan???

Footballgod214 and RPOZ51 like this.
  6. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

Listening to WFAN a lot during the Kotite dark times. I literally became a fan out of pity.

The championship game in 97 or 98 or whatever it was, and the two playoff runs with Rex Ryan though were about the most exciting sport-related events I've ever been into. Hopefully the Jets can have at least another few exciting times like that before I pass.

Jedi mind tricks and ouchy like this.
  7. hornblower

hornblower Well-Known Member

I was never a Giant fan but rooted for the Chicago Cardinals. When the AFL appeared and the Jets signed Joe Namath I was hooked. Used to buy standing room tickets for $5 at the Jets Office in Manhattan. Never regretted it and have had fun being a fan.

Jedi mind tricks, mrjet80 and ouchy like this.
  8. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

And clearly Pat Leheahy.

I became a fan because of Namath. But I was still too young to understand football when we won the SB. I became a fan of Namath for his media appearances/commercials, etc. Ironically when I started following the Jets Namath was on the Rams. But I liked Todd and stuck with them, and later fell in love with the sack exchange.

mrjet80 likes this.
  9. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

Looking back it is now clear I had a penchant for pain as a child.

10. patleahy

oh come on Turk, get in the spirit of the thread and tell us why you became a Jets fans, all jokes about the Jets and pain and suffering and Satan and masochism, etc etc tec. aside. So why did you REALLY become a Jets fan when you could have chosen to follow any number of other teams?

11. RPOZ51

RPOZ51 Well-Known Member

I’m really sorry. I just couldn’t resist.

Seriously, it was Joe Willie Namath, and the team that went to SBIII. I was 11 years old, and impressionable I guess. I have seen it all since that time.

Even though they find new ways to make it difficult, I am on board no matter what happens.

12. BudJet

BudJet Well-Known Member

The new hot shot QB they signed.....Joe Willy. I was ten years old 1965.

13. Wut?

Wut? Well-Known Member

I mercilessly teased a friend of mine about how bad they were in the kotite era and started to like them myself. My son decided to be a Mets fan (I’m a Yankees fan) but he also teases me about them now and I’m pretty sure the same thing is happening.

14. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

At least the highs of winning anything feel great as we look on successes they had decades ago fondly. Do you think Pats fans get that excited when go to whatever number Super Bowls they have been to recently? I am sure they are happy but it can’t be the same feeling if we ever got to one again.

Pepsiguy5 likes this.
  15. No Fly Zone

No Fly Zone Well-Known Member

The Jets, Mets and Knicks all won a championship in the first year I really was into watching sports. Little did I know that would be the Jets ONLY championship. The Mets and Knicks haven't fared much better, each has won only 1 more championship since.

16. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

My dad was a fan and would sometimes get tickets to games from his job. They've lost every single game we've been to and my dad gave up on them about 6 years ago.

17. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Some men broke into our house when I was young, held a gun to my head and said, "Root for the Jets or we'll come back and wack you and your whole family." That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

18. They were the local green team & were a rival of the Patriots.

Jedi mind tricks and Brook! like this.
  19. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

My grandfather was a huge Giants fan so whenever he was over there was always a football game on. I knew the Giants and Jets were NY teams and their colors but was more of a baseball kid. When I was about 9 I became more of a passive follower. This would have been 1980. I remember both teams were bad. I distinctly remember the Jets upsetting the Oilers at Shea and my father being mad because he was gonna place a bet on the Jets just because he had a funny feeling 5 minutes prior to kickoff ( he literally had the phone is his hand but didn’t follow through lol ). I remember the Jets playing the Rams the following week out in LA and how the sunshine from the tv lit up our dreary dark NY living room. I also remember Bryant Gumbel announcing on NFL ‘80 ( que the disco theme ) how the Jets managed to lose to the Saints.....

So fast forward to the first week of August 1981. I’m 10 years old and a commercial came up local channel 5 ( long before it became FOX ) showing slow motion Jets highlights advertising the Jets opening preseason game in Denver the following Friday night at 9:30. ( I even remember the time). That was the moment this kid fell in love. Don’t ask me why although green was and is my favorite color. Nobody in my family particularly liked them. Something just attached me that day. The Jets won that preseason game 33-7 - I remember my father opening my bedroom door when he heard me cheering - he kind of chuckled when I told him the Jets were winning.

The Buffalo playoff loss later that season was my first football heartbreak.....

Almost 40 years later I’m still waiting for a SB appearance .....

Jedi mind tricks and Brook! like this.
  20. Waiting Since 68

Waiting Since 68 New Member

I was about 9 years old and just starting to watch football. Super Bowl III was one of the first football games I watched in full. Being from NY, I rooted for the Jets. They pulled off the massive upset and made me a Jet fan for life. I just hope to see another Jets Super Bowl win before I die.

Jedi mind tricks, Brook! and REVISion like this.