How/Why did you become a Jets fan?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BuddyRyans46, Oct 8, 2018.

1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

ROFLMAO!!! Good one, Red!!!

Red Menace, egelband and westiedog1 like this.
  2. egelband

egelband Well-Known Member

Me too. I don’t usually tell people.

Trainer and Red Menace like this.
  3. Since1969

Since1969 Well-Known Member

Joe Namath made me a fan. When he came along, the NFL was our father's league. Conservative, players with crewcuts, coaches on the sidelines wearing snap-brim hats, three yards and a cloud of dust. But there was the AFL with colorful players and quarterbacks slinging the ball all over the place. It was fresh and fun. It was the way we wanted to play on the playgrounds. The NFL was Percy Faith and Johnny Mathis, but the AFL was the Beatles or the Stones. Then add Namath to the equation. Talented as hell but with the fatal flaw of the bad knees. Brash as hell but he could back it up. Way too cool and too out of the box for the NFL. If you were a kid or teen-ager in the New York area back then, how could you not root for Namath and the Jets?. When we gathered on the playground for pick-up football, who wanted to run the Green Bay power sweep? Throwing the ball downfield like Namath, Lamonica or Lenny Dawson was a helluva lot more fun.

#43 Since1969, Oct 10, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2018
  4. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

My dad bought season tickets before I was born. He got them in Namath's rookie year and the tickets have been in the family ever since. I started going to games during the Shea days. Long time fan/season ticket holder here.

5. Stevied

Stevied Well-Known Member

My old man is an NY fann, Jets/Yanks/Knicks. I wanted to be a Jets fan as a kid but he kept saying,” it would be nice to have a Giants fan in the house.” For a birthday he bought me a mini Giants helmet and football. I became a Giants fan and life was good.

Then one year, think it was the same year Seahorn tore his acl, my idiot friend and his dad brought my dad and me to a Jets game. Late in the year -the year we lost to the broncos in the AFC championship, and I watched them blowout Kevin Greene’s panthers. I was young and impressionable, which lead to the statement of, “yeah this is great, we’re winning, the Giants stink, and we have a chant, I’m much better off being a Jets fan.” That later evolved to,” well the way it works is Jets/Mets, so goodbye Yankees. And it’s stupid to be a Pistons fan, I’ve never been to Detroit. The right thing to do is become a Knicks fan.”

What I would give to go back get keep me from attending that game

#45 Stevied, Oct 10, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2018
  6. Stevied

Stevied Well-Known Member

I can’t like that first paragraph enough

7. BrickcityJet

BrickcityJet Well-Known Member

It was 1980, my mother took me to see this crazy movie called Flash Gordon. In the movie Flash is the QB of the NY Jets. There’s a football chase scene that I loved.

I was five and I loved the movie so much, I became a Jets fan. Little did I know, Flash Gordon didn’t play for the Jets and I was in for a looong ride. But I stuck it out.

8. playtowinthegame

playtowinthegame Well-Known Member

I have two burning questions for the OP: How/Why did you become a Bears fan? Last but certainly not least, which Chicago Bears forum does BuddyRyan46 post his/her thoughts in when not trolling for attention in this Jets forum?

Red Menace likes this.
  9. BuddyRyans46

BuddyRyans46 Active Member

Schillinger, I have already politely and respectfully asked you to stop personally attacking me, for no reason whatsoever, on this board in thread after thread. If you can't play nice, then please refrain from posting within my threads. Thank you and good day.

10. playtowinthegame

I merely redirected the question back to you regarding how/why you became a fan of Da Bears. That's not a personal attack. And if you're a Bears fan surely you post in a Bears forum. Right BuddyRyan46? Please stop assuming I'm personally attacking you, Mike Neufield. I'm super glad you post here! You are awesome.

Red Menace likes this.
  11. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

So true. I remember my dad taking me to Giant games at Yankee stadium. We actually sat behind one of the metal poles. I remember it being freezing cold, grey and not a lot going on and every time the crowd got excited trying to look around the pole. I used to get home and it took days to thaw out. I think I became a Jets fan when I first saw the Jets on tv against the Chargers. Amazingly different, exciting game. What really sold me was the fans in t-shirts and shorts in the stands.

I was really upset when I went to my first game at Shea and froze my ass off. It never occurred to me that the Jets were playing in SD.

12. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

Stop playing the victim, I have seen personal attacks on this forum, he’s not attacking you.

It would be nice to find out how you became a Bears fan.

#52 Red Menace, Oct 10, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2018
    playtowinthegame likes this.
  13. Longislandjetfan

Longislandjetfan Active Member

I became a fan following my older brother who was a huge Jets fan. Also growing up 10 mins from Hofstra was awesome bc training camp every year was so close. There’s been ups and there have been downs but I will always stick by this team for better or for worse even though i feel like an abused housewife half the time. I still hold out hope that they will win it all even if it’s once in my lifetime. Also the green and white uniforms are great.

Jedi mind tricks and westiedog1 like this.
  14. KWJetsFan

KWJetsFan Well-Known Member

My dad, plain and simple. He had season tickets at the polo grounds when they were the Titans. Held on to the season tickets at Shea when they were the Jets. I was literally born into it. To this day, I worship the ground he walks on and just wanted to be like him, so being a Jets fan was not really a choice. I really wish I could see them win one Super Bowl while I still have him around.

15. Unhappyjetsfan

Unhappyjetsfan Well-Known Member

It is a personal attack; you accused him of "trolling for attention." Who cares what team he roots for? He asked a good question and it's generated a bunch of good responses (you know ... exactly the purpose of a message board).

16. BuddyRyans46

BuddyRyans46 Active Member

Thanks for having my back, UnhappyJetsfan. You are obviously spot on in what you typed. Furthermore, in my initial post in this thread, I clearly stated when, why and how I became a Chicago Bears fan in spite of the fact that I lived 15 minutes away from the Meadowlands, but since the entire point of Schilliner's post was to attack me, he obviously never took the time to read that message, or he would have known that I already answered his phony baloney "question" in the first post of this thread, lol.

Anyway, I really enjoy the knowledgeable football fans you guys have on this board, and the informative and interesting responses that many Jets fans have contributed to my threads. Glad to see that at least some people enjoy them. I hope you guys beat the Colts this weekend! :)

17. playtowinthegame

The number of threads created by him suggest he's trolling for attention. Does it not? By no means is it a personal attack. It's the TRUTH. To use a fishing analogy, he's trolling with about 4 to 5 lines/threads in the water on a daily basis, hoping for a bite/reply. He's probably Jethro's cousin. Lmao

18. LeonNYJ

LeonNYJ Well-Known Member

My dad watched the Jets, so I watched the Jets. My earliest memories were of Ken O'Brien as the QB in either the late 80s or early 90s.

Jedi mind tricks and westiedog1 like this.
  19. redvfr02

redvfr02 New Member

Back in 2007, knew nothing about football. My friends started betting on games every sunday which interest me. What interest me more was that every time the jets played, you bet against them and you would almost always win. So I started having a special pity for them and followed them hoping they would win just to win. Then parcells joined and the rest of history. Hooked.

Sent from my BBB100-3 using Tapatalk

20. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

Well my earliest memory of specific Jets games was as a 9 year old in 1980. I lived in NY at the time . I wasn’t a fan as of yet but I remember a crazy play in their opening game against the Colts when a player broke about 5 tackles on a fumble return for a TD. The game was on our television and my parents and grandparents happened to be watching and were amused about how crazy the play was. ( Years later after researching I found out it was rookie Darryl Ray ) I remember a game vs the Oilers later that year and how my father was debating whether to call in a bet to his local bookie minutes before the game was going to start. He had a feeling the Jets would upset the Oilers. He didn’t call. He then spent the first half cursing himself as the Jets jumped out to a 21-0 lead. I also remember the following week - a west coast game against the Rams. The only thing I remember was it was dark and dreary outside with the living room being dark and the California sunshine lighting up the room from the tv. Strange memory I suppose. I remember Bryant Gumbel announcing the Jets had lost to the Saints during an update and that game not being televised in the NY area ( which would never happen today ). I remember them beating the Dolphins the last game . At this point I still didn’t consider myself a fan.

Then one summer day the following year Channel 5 ( back when it was an independent station years befor FOX ) broadcasted a commercial advertising their first preseason game coming up against the Denver Broncos . Friday Aug 7 at 9:30 pm. The commercial was showing Jets highlights in slow motion .....and I was in love . Can’t explain it . Green was alaways my favorite color maybe that had something to do with it. But that’s when it all clicked for me ......

A lot of ups and down needless to say .....