How to fix the offensive line?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jonathan_Vilma, Jan 3, 2024.

1. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

I do think his better position is OG but what's better for this team would be for him to just be a solid/good OT than a great OG.

According to PFF, he's been a mixed bag at LT/RT so far in his career but he's only had 349 snaps there over 2 years. Per PFFs grading system, looks like he's had 3 good games at, one so-so game, and 3 bad ones. Also keep in mind 2 of these games were games he got injured in so they weren't complete games. As we all know though, PFF grades are not gospel so take those with a grain of salt. If my memory serves me, I would say that I agree with their assertion though. Seems like he's been maybe more good than bad but he's def had a couple of stinkers at LT/RT.

I'm glad to see Saleh said what he said though, obviously it's great to have some versatility on the OL but the best thing for everyone is to put them in a spot and let them develop and get comfortable there. I think the flip flopping of positions has had a huge part to play in our OL injuries over the last few years. Let AVT start as the LT or RT this offseason, if he succeeds, that's ideal for this team, if not, no big deal just slide him back inside but keep him there.

2. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Well-Known Member

They can't move him around. Keep him at guard.

ouchy likes this.
  3. Jetsfansince95

Jetsfansince95 Well-Known Member

They took the first step. Keith Carter is coming back. This organization belongs in the XFL

REVISion likes this.
  4. mezzavo

mezzavo Well-Known Member

At this point I don't give a shit if they had Trent Williams, D'Brickashaw Ferguson and Mangold on that line, with Carter and this "OFFENSIVE" shit pile coaching them they are doomed to suck wide butt ass. It ALL begins with the coaching people. The ONLY people that are going to remotely excel with the shit pile of coaches we have is on the defense. May as well get the Kool-aid to go with the Sauce at this point because anything other than that is a massive waste of a draft pick/trade or FA pickup. And, sadly, that is FACT.

5. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

That's what I think as well. Now, I do think Saleh may have a point where it does not help that AVT practices all offseason at one spot, and then switches to another. However, he IS undersized at OT, and not just height and weight, but very short arms on top of it. 8th percentile among all OL, and much less than that when you are only considering OT. Because of that he has to use his athleticism and move more. When you move more as a 300+ lb guy, you tend to get hurt more. So, sure we can say last two serious injuries were a fluke, which may or may not be true, but I do think the likelihood of these injuries is higher due to being at Tackle and having to move a lot more to compensate for short reach.

So, if it were up to me, I would not mess around with AVT. Put him at G, right or left does not matter, and keep him there. If we are planning him at OT, just be prepared for the same exact thing that happened for two years in a row now, which is him being injured a lot more at OT. Keep him at Guard. Please.

Jets79, SOJAZ and ouchy like this.
  6. SOJAZ

SOJAZ Well-Known Member

My thoughts exactly, he needs to play G not OT....

Borat likes this.
  7. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

You know what that means... You can pencil AVT as a starting OT next year for a few games until he is out for the season again.

8. WoodyHarrelson

WoodyHarrelson Well-Known Member

Well said. No 300 lb man should have to move more than they need to. He doesn't have the reach and it will wear on him.

LT-Becton
    LG-AVT
    C-DRAFT/FA
    RG-Tippmann, think this is out best option.
    RT-Round 1

9. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Please tell me that is not true

10. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Agree completely

11. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

wrong thread

#71 Ralebird, Jan 9, 2024
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2024
  12. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

Chuma Edoga- garbage here. Solid backup/starter for Dallas
    Morgan Moses- ok here, solid starter for SB favorite in BAL.
    George Fant-streaky here, solid starter in HOU
    Van Roten- trash here, playing like an all pro in Vegas

Tomlinson was a great player before coming here. He’s another that will be good again when he leaves. Our problem is not our players on the OL, it’s coaching.

Lon Chaney and Jonathan_Vilma like this.
  13. Jetsfansince95

Jetsfansince95 Well-Known Member

@NJJets I see a trend here ... maybe it's the organization and the shit show surrounding them ??? oh NVM I have my answer.

14. WoodyHarrelson

WoodyHarrelson Well-Known Member

FA wise, only Tyron Smith is a top Tackle target. Would he leave Dallas? I doubt it after they are humming into the playoffs. Some good Guards are there but we really need to draft an OT at 10, re-sign Becton, like it or not, and get more tackle depth in the draft/FA

15. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Only thing is that I don’t think Tomlinson was a great player. He had his best year in between Alex Mack and Trent Williams at age 30. The writing was on the wall for him to be a disappointment. He was still better than he was here though.

16. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

The problem is over-arching. Every facet of our leadership is so bad that it makes it hard to judge which facet is actually the problem. Supporters of Saleh will say JD isn’t getting him the right players. Supporters of JD say that Saleh is a poor coach and is the problem. In truth, I think it’s all the way up to Woody. Woody is awful at recognizing good football intelligence and leadership, so he keeps doubling down on stupidity.

17. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

I am not sold on Becton at all…he’s only been relatively healthy in two of his four years, and in both year 1 and this past year he’s missed games…I think only 1 this year but still. Also, he was at the top of the league for tackles in penalties and sacks given up. At this point, he’s part of the problem not the solution. Especially if he’ll get a bunch of big money offers as a free agent.

I think we need to do better than him. He was awful this year.

I think we need two new OTs…one in free agency and one with pick 10. Guys like Warren can serve as backup. I’m good leaving AVT at guard full time where he’s been great.

Borat and Jonathan_Vilma like this.
  18. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

Becton is a FA that we declined the 5th year option on. I’m actually curious now about what % of players whose team declined the 5th year option actually still re-signed with the team. I think Becton wants to leave regardless. He’s mentally soft, and we’re a brutal market. And honestly, he’s not very good.

ouchy likes this.
  19. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

It also shouldn’t be hard to do better than Becton either.

Jets79 and mezzavo like this.
  20. mezzavo

mezzavo Well-Known Member

You folks keep saying that but the proof is in the contrary. Was Bechton receiving the coaching he should have had? Coming off injuries, coaching is paramount. Most of the other linemen have gone on to other teams and, if not excelled, been at least serviceable.

My biggest worry is that this kid is going to walk, and he will probably RUN, from this shit show, go to a team with decent coaching and be a good if not decent lineman for another decade pending injuries. Hell, to be quite frank, I worry about this with ALL our offensive talent. How much BETTER could the marginal guys be and how DOMINANT could guys like Wilson and Hall be with AVERAGE coaching. We are so below average in this department that it really isn't funny.

Borat and The_Darksider like this.