How to fix the offensive line?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jonathan_Vilma, Jan 3, 2024.

1. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

If PFF's projection for Eluemunor's contract ends up being accurate, he's someone I'd like the Jets to pursue.

He's been a very solid RT for LV for the past 2 seasons. He's not a very exciting name but he's someone that could provide some stability at RT for us for relatively cheap (PFF projects ~2 year/14M, ~7M AAV).

dawinner127, JetFanInPA and Borat like this.
  2. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

I would be thrilled. Call me crazy, but if we had better coaching we win at least three more games this year with exactly the same personnel, with all the shortcomings. We self destructed completely with unnecessary undisciplined penalties and very poor game preparation and play calling.

mezzavo, jets_fan and teamgreen like this.
  3. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

I think teams might want Becton for depth, or if they have nothing, but at this point the downside is higher than the upside with him. He's decent against power rushers but still vulnerable to speed guys, and his penalties, injuries, and potential weight issues are just too many drawbacks. One possibility with Becton is to bring him in for a running formation, or goaline, as an extra tackle. His run blocking is still very good. Not sure that's worth 8 million a year though.

The_Darksider likes this.
  4. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

If we want to fix OLine for real, JD needs to hire this guy.

ouchy likes this.
  5. mezzavo

mezzavo Well-Known Member

Cleveland has had, nearly, the exact same injuries as the Jets. They are the closest comparison I can think of. Joe Flacco is now there and looking like the 2nd coming of Vinny Testaverde and, if he can keep it up, has a very real shot a knocking off Baltimore. What did Flacco do in NY? Nothing... Clearly he still has the same skills, only a year older, and it doesn't seem to impact him in Cleveland! They lost their top rusher, the Jets still have Hall and have had similar line injuries.

To be quite frank, three more games "might" be light. Maybe closer to 4 or 5! I believe, with decent coaching, we wouldn't have lost to N.E. (first game), Raiders, Atlanta or Tampa. I suspect we would have also beaten Cleveland and then NY would be "this year's Cleveland" as opposed to our usual spot as the laughing stock.

If Woodruff is not going to remove Saleh and Douglas then the ENTIRE offensive staff must be replaced. Period...

NOVAJET, Borat, JetsNation06 and 2 others like this.
  6. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

So-- it doesn't matter what we do, as long as Woody is the owner, we should expect the Jets to suck. Strategizing on how to make it suck less is a fool's errand.

The_Darksider and Cman68 like this.
  7. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

If the entire OC is not gone as a minimum, after over fifty years, I’ll move on to the ranks of casual observer and no longer waste my remaining precious years watching this pathetic excuse of an organization that is too clueless to ever put the right talent together at the leadership level no matter how many individuals they change.

Cman68, ouchy, mezzavo and 1 other person like this.
  8. mezzavo

I won't be far behind you my man! If Hackett and his band of offensive losers are still here next year I'm simply going to have to shut it down.

Cman68 and LAJet like this.
  9. Trainer

Trainer Well-Known Member

Don't let Joe Douglas evaluate talent... can we do that? With another GM we'd have gone into the season with Fant and Moses at tackle instead of two gimps, Brown and Becton.

tomdeb and ouchy like this.
  10. teamgreen

teamgreen Well-Known Member

Find a starting LT, LG, RT and an offensive line coach. The starting tackes and the LG the Jets have are among the worst in the NFL.

11. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

I have bad news about the OL coach. I was listening to Connor Hughes this morning and he said that he expects Keith Carter back next year. Carter and Downing were two guys that Saleh pounded the table for to make sure they were on his staff.

12. teamgreen

teamgreen Well-Known Member

If true that definitely solidifies my opinion of Saleh and his coaching acumen.

Ralebird and REVISion like this.
  13. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

There is some hope Woody or JD will override him. He didn't want to fire MILF either, and MILF was his close friend. And yet he let him go. I think there is a pretty good chance Carter will end up gone. It just makes too much sense. Right?

dawinner127 likes this.
  14. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Saleh is clueless…period

REVISion and Borat like this.
  15. The_Darksider

The_Darksider Well-Known Member

Yeah, I was being sarcastic. Woody is brutal. We will never get anywhere unless he stumbles onto it with blind luck. The chimpanzees on a typewriter would create Beethoven quicker than he will find a championship.

ouchy and TwoHeadedMonster like this.
  16. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

It’s almost like the offensive line is important or something.

17. BrickcityJet

BrickcityJet Well-Known Member

It has to be coaching. Van Roten and other linemen we had went elsewhere and suddenly look like decent pieces.

It could be JD is good at evaluating and acquiring good linemen, but they’re being coached wrong. If people that were here are going elsewhere and finding success it can only be one thing. The list is getting pretty long.

18. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

Since no other higher level coaching changes are coming, I think the OL coach may need to go. Lot of injuries, but some really poor play, adjustments and scheming. Not even sure how well-liked the guy is from what I've read and heard from beat writers. Sounds like he's a friend of Saleh's so it would be nice to see Saleh put performance and output over a relationship and make a change

BrickcityJet, mezzavo and ouchy like this.
  19. mezzavo

This team has a decision to make. Almost like the argument I made about which is harder to find, a franchise QB or an offensive coordinator. Same thing with the o-line. Is it really our players or the coaching. You can't tell me that every single player, on our o-line, blows to the point that they are what we saw this year. On top of that, it's well documented that most of these guys, that move on from the team, seem to excel on other teams. Why?

I say this because Bechton FINALLY finished a season, mostly healthy, however he also was heavily penalized, is still overweight and didn't play to the value of the spot he was picked in the draft. However, if you look at all the pending FA lists, Bechton is STILL listed in the top 5 of available tackles this offseason, debatable depending on which site or "rag" you read. SOMEONE values him and you damn well know that he'll leave the Jets, go to some place like the Browns and be a pro-bowl player for the next decade. I'm getting sick of moving on from serviceable players because our coaches blow ass. I'm also sick of reading, if you believe them, articles that "the team loves" these coaches so they are going anywhere! Are you F'en kidding me? After this year's performance, there is not a single offensive coach that deserves to be on this team in 2024. Period. Hell, NONE of the coaches, including that useless fucking GM, belongs on this team in 2024 but, thanks to that moron Woodruff, we are stuck with the 2 biggest nimwits. Not the case for the Offensive staff that is TRULY "offensive." To a man they need to be replaced.

tomdeb likes this.
  20. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Get a hobby.. Works for me!!

mezzavo likes this.