How much to keep Holmes?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GriffDog, Feb 15, 2014.

1. The Holmes hatred has always baffled me.

This fan base has become very conservative it seems.Everybody wants to build a church choir & not a football team. The Holmes saga epitomizes this.

To me..its modern day football.All these players are the same. They're all about the money & fame.There are going to be thugs & divas along the way.

As a fan I care solely about winning . I dont care if a player has a bad attitude or what he does away from the game.Hating on guys you dont even know based on assimptions & media portrayal is silly.It also is counterproductive to winning if you value fan support.Just win baby

The 1985er likes this.
  2. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

Exactly. People hate a current player and want to romanticize about players of the past.

I loved Cotch but he absolutely begged out of NY because he didn't want to take a backseat to Holmes.

Folks forget that. Not really a team first type of move.

Hate Holmes all you want-I don't- but don't trot out BS about the heroes of your past, because they aren't as perfect as you remember them to be.

_

3. JStokes

Wayne Chrebet.

Disclaimer note: One of my all time favorite Jets and sports figures.

_

4. JetsVilma28

JetsVilma28 Well-Known Member

You're a stud barcs ;)

Holmes, what have you done lately? 20 catches 1 td, miss 12 games year prior, and talked about as a reason for costing a team playoff run the year before that. Oh yeah, Holmes is great haha

Holmes, production is garbage. He is a bottom tier receiver in the NFL 3 years and going. There is no market for him. He is a soft, never breaks a tackle, doesn't block, fumbles, drops passes and dimes out teammates to the media. "I can't throw it to myself". Yeah Holmes, you're right try getting open. Bum.

5. JetsVilma28

Chrebet was productive every year as a member of the Jets. He never saw a pay day like Holmes.

6. JetsVilma28

Cotchery production in the NFL is far superior to Holmes. Cotchery breaks tackles and gets upfield. Cotchery is not a mental head case like Holmes. Cotchery is a character player you should want to put around young players.

Keep making excuses for Holmes, the truth is he isn't any good.

7. LV Coach

LV Coach Well-Known Member

Show him the door and kep another rooster spot open for a hungry WR in the last 2 rounds.

8. JStokes

That's irrelevant to your original narrative that your Jet heroes of the past would not have thrown the ball away like Holmes. Wayne Chrebet did. No one is arguing that Chrebet didn't have more heart, but pay days are irrelevant to YOUR narrative about throwing the ball away. You are starting to seriously confuse yourself.

I do not think the words "far superior" mean what you think they do. You should look up their stats before you say something silly like that. I get that you hate Holmes but you are wrong on the production thingy. More yards, more TDs, higher Y/R, higher Y/G and only 55 fewer receptions in 2 less years, and 1 other year severely cut short by injury. Nobody is arguing Cotch's heart but you are forgetting he bailed on the Jets and begged out of NY. Not a team first move.

You need to let your hate not confuse your use of logic and reasoning.

_

9. milo

milo Well-Known Member

If we're going to have 2-3 new receivers next year including a bunch of rookies I don't want Holmes anywhere near any of them.

Production's gone, he's not a leader, time-bomb with the media, and seriously what is with wearing the stupid red contacts on the field?

To quote Westy: "I'd trade him for a day off."

10. JStokes

LOL gotta love Jet fans.

He wears them because it helps his visual acuity--you know, so he can see the ball better?

Did you think he was doing it as a fashion statement?

Geezuz fuck.

_

11. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

I thought it was because they brought in Plaxico and had him higher than Jericho on the depth chart?

12. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

I want players that put the team first, not themselves. Holmes clearly thinks he's bigger then the team. I want nothing to do with him once the draft is over, needs to be cut.

13. mezzavo

mezzavo Well-Known Member

$10 a game...that's what I would pay to keep Holmes...all based upon his production that last 2 years.

14. The 1985er

I don't get the impression that he's a bad teammate. But it is what it is.

15. Jay Bizniss

Jay Bizniss Well-Known Member

Did you watch the finale in 2011 when we went to Miami and he pulled himself out of the game? Guy is a me first guy.. Not somebody I want.

mezzavo likes this.
  16. The 1985er

I thought he was benched? I'm not saying I agree with his actions. He was frustrated, but that doesn't mean he was a bad teammate.

17. JStokes

No it was Holmes. Something went on there between those two guys that no one really knows what happened.

I love Cotch but stop with the team first BS, he absolutely bagged on the team, wanted more touches because he was entering a contract year. That cannot be spun away.

_

18. The 1985er

After Cotch left he said it himself that he had no issues with Holmes. Maybe he said it to not cause problems so who knows.

19. Doink Bell

Doink Bell Banned

Holmes should be released. His injury history, salary cap hit, and attitude are more than enough reasons to let him go. You couple that with the fact the upcoming draft is loaded with WR talent, and the writing is on the wall.

20. JStokes

Who knows but clearly he asked off the team. Whether it was Holmes or Burress or any of them, he wanted more touches going into that contract year and he asked Tanny to release him with 1 year left on his contract.

He quit on his team.

_