How much to keep Holmes?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GriffDog, Feb 15, 2014.

1. Barcs

Barcs Banned

I wasn't arguing that Holmes is good. I was arguing about his perceived character flaws.

2. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

You weren't, but you have.

3. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

I'd be shocked if he isn't on someone's roster by opening day.

4. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

i think we should bring back braylon edwards too... smh

5. Jay Bizniss

Jay Bizniss Well-Known Member

Or Keyshawn.

6. abyzmul

Wayne Chrebet could be the new Wes Welker...

7. Barcs

Barcs Banned

I heard Don Maynard's still around too. Might as well scoop him back up.

8. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

Learn what a non sequitur is before using is in a sentence. Some of you are such a joke on here, anytime you don't have an actual argument you accuse the other of a straw man, personal insult and now non sequitur.
    I posted multiple quotes from Jet players that make it apparent Holmes was the problem. You posted your opinion, when you have more than that let me know.

#248 The Waterboy, May 25, 2014
    Last edited: May 25, 2014
  9. Barcs

Barcs Banned

This was the post I responded to. That is what I called non sequitur and personal insults. Please explain to me which part is an actual response? Of course it was a non sequitur. It had absolutely nothing to do with with the argument.

You have outlined that:

1. Holmes called out the oline when their play was sub par and they responded. It eventually leads to him blowing up in the phins game and the LT quote.
    2. Holmes threw his helmet once while in pain because he was struggling coming back from an injury.
    3. He celebrated a touchdown in a winnable game.

I don't consider that a strong argument. The rest of your argument is based on anonymous sources and media sensationalism. I can easily find anonymous sources and way more to show that he is indeed a good team mate for the most part. Anyways I see your weak argument and raise you THIS:

This is in reference to Holmes being a malignant force.

This was in the beginning of 2012. He made the effort.

Holmes talking about Geno Smith and his TD connection against the Bills last season. He's supports his QB.

Man this guy is such a cancer.

Even Sanchez said it was blown out of proportion. But yeah I just make this shit up.

Braylon in 2010.

Sanchez talking about Holmes and his effort

Holmes praising Sparano. Sorry but Holmes is a class act.

Santonio Holmes being interviewed about his charity. Man this dude seems like a total scumbag.

http://www.ganggreennation.com/2011/3/10/2043195/santonio-holmes-doing-charity-work-in-africa
    More charity work.

http://www.vivekaterin.com/makingadifference/article.php?id=29
    Giving back to the community.

A nice 4 minute video about his leadership.

#249 Barcs, May 26, 2014
    Last edited: May 26, 2014
    The 1985er and Big Blocker like this.
  10. Barcs

Barcs Banned

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/06/08/holmes-heavily-involved-in-mentoring-stephen-hill/

Holmes getting involved mentoring Stephen Hill.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/f...-green-young-wide-receivers-article-1.1138717
    More on Holmes helping teach the young WRs.

He was even willing to take a pay cut to stay this year.

Shall I keep going? Is that enough for now? Yes. Santonio Holmes' character issues are blown way out of proportion. It is not just my opinion, but opinion of several team mates who are way more familiar with him than we are as fans. He had his moments, but aside from the few bad incidents, he was a class act and exemplary team mate.

The 1985er and JoJoGunne like this.
  11. pdxdrew

pdxdrew Well-Known Member

Every time I see this thread I think somehow that Holmes has found his way back onto this team.

Then I remember and scroll down.

12. abyzmul

Why is this even a discussion? I can understand if punk shitbag Holmes was a good player with attitude problems, but aside from a season and a half in his entire career, the dude sucked. But I did yet again get to see Barqs calling Holmes "a class act", which is always a hoot.

Forget this turd already. He's gone.

Sundayjack, KWJetsFan and JetsVilma28 like this.
  13. Barcs

Barcs Banned

^Well waterboy seemed concerned that I wasn't backing up my argument and seemed to think that everything I said positive about him was pure personal opinion. I'm the type that loves debating, and WILL always back up my points when challenged. Most of the "bad teammate" and "cancer" talk stems from a few isolated incidents, and isn't a reflection on the majority of his team with the team. Yes, he didn't produce well after 2010, but he had bottom of the league QBs throwing him the ball behind an atrocious oline with no other receivers to divert away the double/triple teams, and his injury pretty much killed his chances of being that guy again. Plus he played under schitty, the guy that doesn't understand the concept of playing to team strengths rather than constant trickery. I mean how many things should a guy have to overcome? I feel that he was heading towards a solid season in 2012 if not for the injury.

I'm not saying he's the best person ever and that I think the team needs him back. I'm just tired of people bashing the guy who helped net us our biggest recent playoff win.

#253 Barcs, May 27, 2014
    Last edited: May 27, 2014