How much do you tip after a meal??

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by Cman68, Mar 1, 2017.

?

How much is a good tip assuming good service?

1. 10% - check your receipt for a nastygram Cheap bastard!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 15% - not bad as long as you're not dressed to kill

8.8%
  3. 20% - what I usually tip (easy math)

88.2%
  4. 25% - comes with a happy ending

2.9%
  1. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

Buncha SAVAGEs in this town.

Brook! likes this.
  2. GordonGecko

GordonGecko Well-Known Member

usually 18-22% on the total bill including tax if at a sit down restaurant

If I go pick up takeout, 0%

FJF likes this.
  3. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

This is my first post in teh BS thread in like 2 years...I used to live here hahahah

20% every time

4. jonnyd

Ive never really thought about this but after reading this, you are spot on dude.....it is completely illogical to tip on % of bill

5. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Plus you could save some money to spend on the world's smallest bottle of talcum powder.

6. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

while you were away the dunces elected a dunce.

7. jonnyd

i saw that

8. -Irrvy-

-Irrvy- New Member

It depends on the service. But in general 15-20%. I like hookah and for those hookah men who really care about the quality, I leave 30%

Cidusii likes this.
  9. ChrebetCrunch

ChrebetCrunch Well-Known Member

I'm an over tipper. You really got suck balls to get less than 20%, but I usually tip post-tax, and always north of 20%.

10. GordonGecko

Waiters complain about tips all the time, which leads me to believe that most people are cheap and aren't the ones posting on here how much they tip

You know who are

11. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

I almost always tip 20 to 25%.

My question is how much tip in restaurants where you don't get full waiter service. I eat a lot at a restaurant where you order and pay at the counter, they bring you your food but there is no waiter service. When you pay you get a tablet screen that gives you 3 options to tip beginning at 20 percent and going up with an option to decline. I see this same screen in similar restaurants usually with the lowest tip option at 10 or 15 percent.

I struggle with paying a 20 percent tip or any tip at places like this with no waiter service. The argument to pay is I know the owners and I want to support the place. I don't like the coercive effect or presumption built into the tablet for quasi or no service. These no service restaurants seem to be the future. In most places you get quasi service with water refillsports and food delivery.

How do you tip in places like this?

12. GordonGecko

I simplify things with a nice round number

13. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

If there is not waiter service and they only give you an option of 20% or up with an option to decline, I'm sorry but I am declining. They better hope I have a few bucks in my pocket to leave on the table and that is if they are clearing the mess. If I have to take my tray to the garbage not sure what I would tip for.

The tip is intended to bring wait staff up to at least minimum wage, not give kids making minimum wage extra for doing their job.

14. Cappy

Cappy Well-Known Member

I spent enough time in school bartending and waiting tables that I can't not tip well for adequate service. For lunches, it's 20% or $5 minimum (whichever is more). So a $15 lunch gets $5.

For dinner, it's 20-25%, depending on the service. I tipped less than that once, when it was painfully obvious the server wasn't even trying. Even then, I left 10%. That happened once.

My favorite restaurant story, from 20 years ago: some businessman who thought he was hot shit came in with (what I assume were) some potential clients. Trying to impress them (again, an assumption), he put a pretty big stack of singles on the table (maybe $100?) and told the waitress -- who was a single mom with a pretty rough life -- that this was her tip. He also told her that every time she screwed up, he would take some of the money away. Clearly the plan was to pull some kind of power move for yuks, because he started pulling dollars off the table when she did the slightest thing "wrong". Twenty minutes into the meal, she was in the back crying. The guy was being a dick and kept pulling the money off the table... again, mostly for laughs. She shouldn't have made such a big deal of it, but it was also pretty clear she wasn't getting a good tip regardless of what happened, so I offered to take over the table for her.

I told the guy that I'd be his server for the rest of the meal, and that I understood the money on the table was supposed to be the tip. I smiled and told him he could take his money off the table, which he did. I then proceeded to give them the worst service possible of the back two-thirds of his meal, while still technically being able to say I did my job. They had a miserable meal, I hope. Got no tip. Don't care. Manager didn't care. Hope he didn't get that client.

15. GordonGecko

lol who does that

still waiting to hear from the people who don't tip well which I assume are the majority

16. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

I wish that restaurants just properly paid their staff so that customers don't have to make up for their shitty wages by tipping. Instead, pay them well so they actually aren't stressed out on the job and can take pride in their work without whoring themselves out. In plenty of other countries it is an insult to tip and people have more pride in their work. The only reason restaurants do it like that is so they can pretend their prices are better than they are.

The problem isn't that people are cheap. It's that the restaurants don't pay employees what they deserve and force the customer to make up for it. Tips should be given only for exceptional service, in all walks of life. I'm not sure if it's just the NJ/NY area or an American thing, but any time you get almost any service you are EXPECTED to tip these days, not just for waiter service. You pay an arm and a leg to tow your car a couple miles and you are expected to tip.

#56 Sam Hammer, May 2, 2017
    Last edited: May 2, 2017
  17. RPOZ51

RPOZ51 Well-Known Member

18. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

You might be interested to know that just about all those restaurants that eliminated tipping, raised prices and paid their employees directly have reversed course and are back to the normal US tipping custom. Why? because they were losing business and losing their best workers. Americans are used to tipping and all but a minority of cheapskates do it willingly.

Cman68 likes this.
  19. Carpetbagger

Carpetbagger Well-Known Member

We have 8.8% sales tax in NYC, so I just double the tax which is the standard here.

20. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

add that to the reasons never to live in nyc