How many years does JD get?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Cman68, Oct 14, 2020.

?

How many years does JD get to show progress?

1. 2 more years

39 vote(s)
    42.4%
  2. 3 more years

34 vote(s)
    37.0%
  3. 6 more years

7 vote(s)
    7.6%
  4. 10 more years (5 year contract extension)

6 vote(s)
    6.5%
  5. Forever....

7 vote(s)
    7.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

This talk about Idzik and Mac is utterly nonsense...

yes Idzik was hired I think by the Jaguars, but not as GM and not as a talent evaluator....he was hired for some financial cap related role, which is what he does. He NEVER should have had a GM role. And not for nothing, but he was hired by the fucking Jaguars....another irrelevant team that is not known for being a well run franchise

Mac...get out of here....anybody defending his run as GM of the Jets has no clue at all. I honestly can’t believe that I see posts from a couple of people on here defending him. That guy had FIVE FUCKING YEARS and he left a larger mess than he inherited. The ONLY reason he doesn’t stink as bad as Idzik is because at least he didn’t absolutely blow his high first rounders...he actually chose good players in L Williams, Adams, Q Williams, etc. hard to give him too much credit as they were all consensus picks. BUT...although they were individually good players, they were all ABSOLUTELY the WRONG picks. Drafting an interior DL high doesn’t make sense unless he’s Aaron Donald. LW is a nice player....he’s not even close to Donald. Drafting a non ball hawking safety high makes no sense....and that’s even before talking about how both Watson and Mahomes were available. And drafting ANOTHER interior DL when you just drafted one is stupid. And let’s not get started on how he wanted to build an OL with low draft picks and mediocre free agents. Please. What about free agency? He spent big money on how many players? Trumaine Johnson? Bell? Mosley? Again....all wasted contracts. Anyone defending this moron has no fucking clue how to build a team.

so on to JD....he’s only had one draft. His free agent choices are clearly stopgap....filled with one year deals. I think he knew none of these guys were long term solutions. He is operating with a plan. I’m not as high on his first draft as many here are...I love Becton, I love how he traded down and still landed a WR that looks legit. As for the rest, I’m not sold yet, but they are rookies. Davis is fast ok...I’ve yet to see him make a great play. Hall is in the area on a lot of catches....ok...I’ve yet to see him shut someone down or get a pick. Perine looks very average to me. The punter is good. Huff has also been in the area...ok...we’ve had lots of these kinds of guys...players who are ALMOST making the great play but don’t quite make it. They give you hope...but they don’t really deliver. So I’m mixed on the draft....overall if the first two picks shine like I think they can, it’ll be a good first draft. Hopefully one or two of the other guys will develop. Hard for me to heap praise that rookies are starting, because I think that’s due to the fact that our roster absolutely sucks balls (thanks, Mac!) more so than because these rookies are so great. I think we have a terrible coach who has not shown that he can develop anyone...either here or in Miami. There was no need to run out and hire him. So I’m hopeful that a better coach next year will elevate some of these players. So overall right now I’d rate this draft a B+ kind of range....can go up if Becton and Mims both stay healthy and continue to improve on what’s already a strong start, and if one or two of the mid round picks develop into solid starters....I’m hopeful for Hall, Davis, and the undrafted Huff, but so far it’s hope.

All that being said, JD is the FIRST guy since Parcells who’s actually qualified for the GM seat, and he’s also the first guy that is actually recommended and lauded across the league. Both Idzik and Mac were head scratchers at the time.... o one else was seeing them as strong GM candidates, and their subsequent performance proved that out.

so yeah, I’m hoping JD continues strong....I think this off-season will really determine it...hopefully the top pick...we have both quantity and quality of picks, and a ton of cap room. He has the ammunition to make this a pretty fast turnaround...two or three years for playoff consistent contention if he doesn’t fuck it up.

Look...this IS the Jets, so fucking it up is entirely possible....but I hope he’s the guy. First thing we need to do is find a new coach.

JetsKickAss and NCJetsfan like this.
  2. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Douglas is certainly not above reproach, but some of the takes here are nothing short of hyperbolic. And the "anyone would've taken Becton" doesn't hold water given how he was considered the riskiest OT prospect out of the 4 and taking one of the WR prospects at 11 wasn't out of the question.

3. BrooklynJetsFan

BrooklynJetsFan Well-Known Member

He's in the top in yds this year with Teddy throwing to him and no McCaffrey. https://www.espn.com/nfl/stats/player/_/stat/receiving

If you gave Robby a deep throw QB he would be easily in the top-10. He's 4 yds shy of 1000 yds. who on the Jets is even close to this. Crowder is #1 with 510yds.

JetsKickAss likes this.
  4. BrooklynJetsFan

BrooklynJetsFan Well-Known Member

Becton was not the riskiest. He was the #1 #2, #3 on many draft boards.

JetsKickAss likes this.
  5. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

You're right he hasn't. But he was hired as the Jags cap guy almost immediately.

No one will even hire Maccagnan to go sit at a Northern Illinois game and watch their 105th ranked corner...

#285 Jonathan_Vilma, Dec 17, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2020
    Jets79, JetsKickAss and HomeoftheJets like this.
  6. JetsKickAss

JetsKickAss Well-Known Member

Tunsil is costing $22 MM a year and the #1 pick they thought would be in the 20's will be probably Top 10, MAYBE Top 5.

#286 JetsKickAss, Dec 17, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2020
  7. JetsKickAss

I really think that Irsay figured if he could cut ties with Peyton Manning (Mr. Sweet Southerner) he could cut ties with Bill Polian, who has mellowed somewhat in his ESPN and post-book years but prior to that was quite frankly known as a PITA at best and SOB and below at worst.

I know 1 story:
    someone cheerily said "Good morning, Bill" when he passed Polian in the halls at the Colts HQ and Polian ICILY and STERNLY said "It's MR. POLIAN."

I could see where Irsay wouldn't want to put up with that after 12 years or so.

8. JetsKickAss

Does anybody know what the Jets rumoured ranking of all the OTs was ? Did they have Becton 4th or 3rd or what ?

I recall one mock draft had the Giants taking him at #4 and I got a bit pissed because I thought Becton was the #1 tackle and wanted him on the Jets.

9. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I think I remember reading that the Jets had him as the #1 OT.

JetsKickAss likes this.
  10. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

he may have been, but the facts are he was the third OT taken, not the first. He was the what, 11th player taken?

I do recall the view on him was high reward, high risk type of pick

JetsKickAss likes this.
  11. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

So you’re saying Houston, and Bill O’Brien, are morons?

if so, I agree...and that’s even before trading away Hopkins for nothing

JetsKickAss likes this.