How good was Al Toon?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Penning10, Apr 8, 2018.

1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I loled at the bolded above. Great description! Thanks for the great belly laugh.

2. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

Basically the same clip but with crappier reception. ; )

3. jetophile

That's why I said but better! ; )

I'm not sure how many passes Toon dropped in his whole career with the Jets. Maybe five? And that's a stretch. I kind of regretted not asking for an autograph after I got off the train, and I'm sure he would've been absolutely gracious, but as I said, I didn't want to bother him. I also didn't have anything for him to write on - except my arm, I guess. :/ The #7, lol. For those not in the know, "The next stop is zzzzzzzzt static bzzzt sizzle zabubba zzzt!" It was like "CUZZZZZZZZZZZZsssh, static static! One Adam Five, One Adam Five!" over a shitty police dispatcher radio, but ten times worse. "What? Oh! That's my stop!" And the A.C. was NEVER working.

Just to say it again because yep, I like it, Al Toon really was THAT good. Years later, we all used to yell HUUUUUGGGGGGGGGGH, for Hugh Douglas. 'Twas fun, but it didn't have nearly the same flavor as TOOOOOOOOOON! If you want to play imaginary scenarios, if Al Toon played for the Cheats the first time the hated Giants beat them in the SB, you can put it in the bank that Toon wouldn't have quit on the ball a la Randy Moss. No way, no how.

I was really pumped when Nick Toon (what a great name) made it to the NFL. He got drafted by the Saints, but I would have totally lost it if he went to the Jets for the fun factor. I think he's a FA now.

#43 jetophile, Apr 9, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2018
  4. jetophile

Chrebet, though shorter than Maynard, reminded me of him the way he would jump and stomach clutch the ball. Very similar technique. Chrebet will be getting dementia as a definite, there's no way that he isn't. It pains me.

I'll never forget the last hit he took. He was just staring at the sky in a stupor. I thought he was dead for a second. I'll try to find the article some time (it's old), but this was before players started suing for the truth. He said that he became extremely moody, would scream at his wife for no reason (no jokes please), would get violent at inanimate objects (so yeah, not people), get horribly confused, couldn't concentrate, and would sometimes forget his own name or where he was. I'm not sure if Wayne is part of the most recent ongoing litigation, but I know that Namath and Curtis Martin are. I saw a video of Wayne Chrebet a while back about CTE and he just seemed off and said he'd do it all over again. What?

All he got from Woody Johnson when he was being honored was a cheap placard for his trouble as we all almost got electrocuted in The New Dump vs. the Vikings during a violent T-Storm. They had to evacuate everyone onto the concourse in the UD. Haha, I'm sure Royaltee remembers that one. He isn't in the UD, but where he sits - unless he moved for bargain basement desperate prices - is under cover. Woody Johnson, what a skinflint. What was this about again? Right, Al Toon.

5. LogeSection2RowJ

LogeSection2RowJ Well-Known Member

Al Toon was great, and as another poster mentioned earlier, he and Wesley Walker were a dynamic duo. HOWEVER, Imagine his career had we drafted Marino.

boozer32 likes this.
  6. jetophile

Only Toon wouldn't have quit on the ball (see a later post). ; )

7. jetophile

OK, time to plate this joke with garnish again. Just the thought of Ken O'Brien makes my knees buckle.

Here's another one: What does Ken O'Brien always do when he plays Poker? He folds.

I could never understand why he WOULD NEVER THROW THE BALL AWAY. What the frig.

8. hornblower

hornblower Well-Known Member

Don Maynard was a great outside receiver. Wisely he stayed out of the middle.

9. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

Maynard, as my avatar shows - was my favorite Jet ever. He is also by far the most accomplished Jets wide receiver ever - a slam dunk Hall of Famer whose numbers don't look so impressive now with how the game has changed, but were literally record setting at the time (most receptions ever, most receiving yards ever, second most TD receptions ever, at the time). But how did he do it? A combination of speed and guile, not amazing physical abilities. Of course he was very talented, but the difference to me was that he did things other people also could do, but longer and maybe a little better. Toon did things virtually no one at the time could do, just like Namath, Gastineau, and Revis.

Sauer is an interesting case. Pretty much no one who has been watching the Jets less than 45 years even knows who he is, other than a vague notion from some Super Bowl III highlights they might have seen, but he really was a remarkable over-the-middle receiver. He was a "possession" receiver who averaged more than 16 yards per reception, and had hands that were as good as anyone's I've ever seen. Lance Alworth was the best receiver the AFL ever had, but from 1966 to 1968 Sauer was just as good (which means they were the best in football, period). Sauer never really liked football all that much, particularly the dehumanizing aspect of it, and he retired at the age of 27. His father was an All-American halfback at Nebraska (and is a member of the College Football Hall of Fame), was a Lieutenant Colonel in the Army during World War II, and was Director of Player Personnel for the Jets while Junior was on the team, so you can imagine how he felt about his hippie son's feelings about the regimentation of bigtime college and pro football and his decision to quit from it!

10. jetophile

Hi, stafjeff22, Sauer was incredible. I always felt it was parental pressure.

http://forums.theganggreen.com/threads/2017-nfl-countdown-to-kickoff.88622/page-5#post-3581806

Post #98, because I'll die a techno idiot.

statjeff22 likes this.
  11. jetophile

Wisely, Wesley, tomato, tomatoe.

12. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

For the life of me I will never understand the hate Kenny O gets. Second best QB in franchise history and people basically blaming him for the Jets drafting him ahead of Marino.

If the Jets parlay the third pick into anything resembling Kenny we all should be happier than pigs in shit.

13. jetophile

Understood. I didn't hate O'Brien at all, and if that Miami puke Marino was picked, I don't really see much of a true difference in the end except decision making. Haha, Marino never got a ring. That's all that matters.

boozer32 likes this.
  14. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Yeah, I loved Sauer. I was so shocked when he retired. It was sad when he came back years later in the World Football League. He was a shell of his former self. I couldn't remember if that was in the NFL or in some other "football league" so I looked it up. When I did, at the bottom of the google search page, it listed three former Jets football players who were teammates of Sauer, Jr., and had their pictures. It had Don Maynard, Matt Snell, and Emerson Boozer. Following is the picture of Matt Snell. ROFLMAO

[​IMG]

For you young whipper snappers, I tried to post what the real Matt Snell looked like, but for some stupid reason, I couldn't get one to copy and paste, even though I tried several of them. Here's a link to some photos of Snell: https://www.google.com/search?q=mat...KEwibm6qSpa7aAhUO0FMKHf49AjkQ9QEIZTAI#imgrc=_

15. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Before Toon, I always contend Saur was the best WR the Jets ever had. I would still rate him 2. He was amazingly good in traffic sure handed and a great route runner. Everyone thought of him as a great possession receiver but the guy averaged over 16 yards per reception over his career. He was all pro 2 consecutive seasons. 66, 67 and 68 he was outright great. He had a big game in the SB and was real good in the Championship game against the Chiefs the following year that was played in outright awful conditions.

http://www.newyorkjets.com/videos/v...ge-Sauer/86976c0d-618b-40d9-9a8d-27f5189c6e1c

boozer32, statjeff22 and NY Jets68 like this.
  16. Longsuffering88

Longsuffering88 Well-Known Member

Loved Toon

The reason for my 88 in the name

Lanky fast agile physically gifted great body control and hands. Great high point catcher.

The prototype WR

Shame he got hung out to dry so much by KennO

17. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

I always said that about O'Brien. He hung Toon out to dry a lot.

18. boozer32

Thought Sauer quit too soon. He was still a young guy with not alot of wear and tear on him.

19. boozer32

I remember Greg Lloyd hovering over Al Toon after a viscious hit and counting him out like a referee in a boxing match. Real poor sportsmanship but that was Lloyd all the time.

20. jetophile

Yep. That Miami megaturd, Zach Thomas, did the same thing to Laveranues Coles, but he took it a step further: he pointed at him and laughed at him after he knocked him out cold. Coles was flat on his face, motionless. It was obvious that he was unconscious and concussed. What a POS move. Then he had the nerve to cry and whine when he got fined - AND HE APPEALED IT! Man, I hated that guy. Then again, I hate everyone in a Miami jersey. I dry heaved when the Jets signed Jason Taylor. Ate four Rolaids in a row the first time I saw him in a Jets jersey. Yecch, terrible. Ditto seeing Pennington in a Miami jersey (BARRRRRFFFF!). Anyway, I don't recall Eric Smith and Kerry Rhodes pointing and laughing at Anquan Boldin, you? I'll never forget that. It was horrifying.

#60 jetophile, Apr 10, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2018
    boozer32 likes this.