How far could Teddy Bridgewater slip?

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Br4d, Jan 24, 2014.

1. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

I don't understand this. I've seen 2 dozen of his games the past 3 years and the most striking thing I've observed about him is his quick release and his accuracy.

It looks effortless for him.

_

2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

LOL I LOVE a couple of them (Teddy and Garoppolo). I like Mettenberger. Don't give a tinker's damn about the rest.

3. Swedish Ale

Swedish Ale Member

I seriously have this man-crush on Garoppolo.
    Can't explain why either. It's quite annoying.

Just something about him that oozes star player material.
    As with Teddy, excellent eyes, excellent brain, amazing release.

4. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

Kudos to you. At least you like a few of them. I'm probably too over the top because I like a lot of them.

But to dump on every single one of them?

Something else is going on.

_

5. CleveSteve

CleveSteve Active Member

I'm not sure if you're including me in that group of nitpicking. I figured we were talking about strengths and weaknesses of the prospects. That's the biggest weakness of Bridgewater's game I've seen. Pretty much everything else on him I'm a fan of. I like him as a prospect, but I think he'll have to use those smarts to avoid contested situations more often in the pros than in college.

I fully agree none of them are perfect. I'm just pointing out what I see as lacking in Bridgewater's game. The two or three games I was able to catch this season before the bowl game of his I saw a lot, a LOT of throws to stationary targets. They were completions, they gained yards, but that's what I saw. In the Miami game he threw to a lot more targets that were on the move and his placement left something to be desired. Like I said, if he can translate his smarts to find the open guy he can put the ball in a place the receiver can catch it, and he can do it quickly. Just don't expect a lot of YAC and don't expect him to throw someone open.

Well, I mean there's not a lot to understand there. I have no issues with his release. I laid out specific plays and what I thought of them from the bowl game because I thought it highlighted the one area where Bridgewater lacks compared to Manziel, Carr, and Mettenberger, too. If he made more throws like the first one he tosses in this game on the rollout to the left sideline I wouldn't be saying something like this.

I wanted to think Bridewater is a can't-miss prospect coming into this year. Like everyone else, I was fascinated with how he basically tore down Florida football last year. The bowl game was awesome to watch. But then when I actually evaluate what he does, that's the area I see he could use improvement.

I know everybody says Teddy has great accuracy, but I disagree, and I'm citing specifics as to what makes me feel that way. Again, I THINK BRIDGEWATER IS A VERY GOOD PROSPECT AND THINK HE SHOULD GO TOP-5 IN THIS DRAFT. Every year there are players I have a big difference of opinion on than the consensus. What you can always trust is I'm basing those opinions on what I see, not on what I heard or what I've read.

6. Swedish Ale

Swedish Ale Member

More people need to do this.

7. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I think he's a good prospect. I just don't think he's a slam dunk at the top of the draft. I'm not sure if I'd rather have him or Manziel and I definitely don't see Manziel as a top of the draft QB.

I like both of them better than Bortles though and by quite a bit.

8. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

It's funny i was thinking something like this too.

This draft's QB class has Boom or Bust written all over it.

IMO it breaks down like this:

Teddy = Boom Matt Stafford or Bust Charlie Batch
    Manziel = Boom RG3 or Bust Doug Flutie
    Bortles = Boom Carson Palmer or Bust Blaine Gabbert
    Carr = Boom Alex Smith or Bust David Carr :wink:

9. CleveSteve

CleveSteve Active Member

Lol, why not... it's all for fun.

Teddy: Steve Young 100% ........ 75% ..................... 0% David Klingler
    Manziel: Fran Tarkenton 100% ........ 75% ..................... 0% Vince Young
    Bortles: Cam Newton 100% ............. 55% ................ 0% Jamarcus Russell
    Carr: Aaron Rodgers 100% ...... 80% ....................... 0% David Carr

10. greencrack

greencrack Member

May sound crazy but give it some thought

Bridgewater- Montana
    Manziel- Steve Young
    Bortles- Weaker armed Big Ben
    Carr- Cutler

Bridgewater and Montana both had slight frames coming in but were tough, had great accuracy and touch on their passes and rarely made mistakes that cost their teams games. Both perform the best in the pressure cooker scenarios. This is Montana at Notre Dame

Manziel and Young both have similar athletic capabilities (Young was faster straight line, Manziel was quicker) a knack for creating space from defenders to allow throws. Young struggled the first couple years at the Bucs, Walsh took him in and molded him. Manziel needs that same type of coaching

Bortles and Big Ben, contrary to populat belief Bortles arm is not the strong, no where near the power of Carson Palmer's or Cam Newton's nor does he even come close to rivaling's Cam's athleticism. He is big enough to by time in the pocket. An adequate arm, not big Ben's strength though, tough to Bring down and has a knack for clutch plays

Carr and Cutler, both had upper echelon arm strengths coming out of college, both have that moxie and confidence about themselves. Both are also prone to letting it fly at the wrong times. Both have supremely talented arms, Carr has the best arm in the class.
    Carr's problem is the lack pocket presence which I feel will ultimately doom him in the pros. He gets hit once he folds up like a cheap suit

11. NCJetsfan

Actually, there are so many QBs in this draft, I forgot that there is at least one QB more I like at least a little and wouldn't be upset if the Jets drafted in the 3rd or 4th round (or lower). I wouldn't want Carr before their second pick of the 3rd round, but wouldn't scream if he were taken there, but I figure he'll go in at least the 2nd round, if not the first. Bortles will go too high, so I don't have any interest in him. The same goes for Manziel. The Smith kid from Wyoming might be a possibility. I haven't seen any film of him yet, but a number of people seem to like him. If he were available in the 4th or 5th round, he might be worth a shot.

My opinions might change, but as of right now the only two I definitely don't want are Fales and McCarron. I'd even accept Murray in the 5th or 6th round, but not before that.

12. NCJetsfan

Fair enough. That's all anyone can expect. You may be right. Maybe I just missed it. I think he has a great work ethic and is very coachable, so I do think he will work on whatever flaws he has in his game.

13. All Gas No Shake

All Gas No Shake Well-Known Member

i agree with the bold ... i liked what i saw from teddy b in last years bowl game so i watched him on a few occasions this year

i def noticed thats he throws behind his receivers on crossing (and to a lesser extent, slant) routes more than you would like a top prospect to ... thats my biggest concern with him

he can bulk up his slight frame so im not worried there

14. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

This is a forum, everyone is going to have a different perception on specific players. It's normal, I get it, some things that people have said in this thread make me want to slam my head into my computer desk in this weird baffled state because I've never seen (Not even a little bit) some of the things that have been said about Bridgewater.

It's craaaaaaaaaaazzzzy.

Manziel, most over-rated player in this entire draft. If Mike Pettine signs off on this kid..

Idiot.

IMO.

#114 IIMeanDeanII, Jan 28, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2014
  15. greencrack

greencrack Member

I wonder what people know what accuracy means???

16. greencrack

greencrack Member

Yes Pettine would be a massive idiot, Manziel is a 3rd to 4th round talent hyped to the levels of a 1st

17. CleveSteve

CleveSteve Active Member

Well, if you would prefer to do something other than slam your head into your computer "because I've never seen some of the things that have been said about Bridgewater" I'm sure you could check out a cut-up of the Miami game with Bridgewater and see if you see exactly what I wrote down on a play-by-play basis. Or look for him against Houston (or probably any other game) and see if you saw what I mentioned about completions to moving targets beyond the LOS. Or, you could just cling to your notions and let your head explode because someone saw something different watching the games than your understanding.

18. CleveSteve

CleveSteve Active Member

For good or for bad, I don't think Pettine is going to have much input on who the QB they draft is. Banner and Lombardi's jobs are on the line with the QB pick, and they already think they're smarter than everyone else, so I think if they say Manziel and Pettine says Bridgewater or they say Carr and Pettine says Bortles it's not going to matter.

19. Br4d

Well as an example, I know he completed 70%+ of his passes and I also think he is inaccurate on a lot of his throws. Just look at where the ball is on a lot of completions, underthrown with a great adjustment by the receiver, overthrown with a great catch by the receiver, behind the receiver on a screen or crossing pattern with a great adjustment, etc.

If he does that in the NFL he's going to complete about 57% of his passes and have more than his fair share of picks. If he has great receivers who really outclass the guys covering them, as he had at Louisville, then things will be better than that.

If you put him on the Jets with the talent they had last year he'd look a lot like Geno Smith did.

20. Br4d

There are a bunch of "every drop back of the game" clips out there for Bridgewater and if you watch them you'll see a good prospect who is by no means assured of being a good NFL QB.