How far could Teddy Bridgewater slip?

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Br4d, Jan 24, 2014.

1. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

Now that we have confirmation that there was no demand for QBs by Tampa, St. Louis, Tenn and so on and that it was just media created buzz for the gullible and uniformed we can see that if Bridgewater had not gone at 32 to Minnesota there was little chance he would have gone before late round 2 or round 3. The only team interested in a QB in early round 2 was Oakland and Bridgewater does not fit the type of QB mold they would typically want. Minnesota panicked and reached. They could have just waited and likely got him in round 3 or traded back in round 2 to move ahead of NE.

2. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

It'll be interesting to see how Bridgewater plays out. Minnesota kind of felt like the team that was going to stop his slide and their track record with drafted QB's has been really bad for about 30 years now. I think it may come down to the weapons around him. If ever a QB needed game-breaking play makers Bridgewater is that guy.

3. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

This is simply unadulterated unprovable speculative speculation by a gullible Bridgewater hater.

If Minny hadn't moved up to get him he would have gone to Oakland or TB or the Rams or Tennessee and each one of them would have tried to trade up to the first pick in the second round to get him. And if not those, other teams that would have traded up to number 1 in the second round would have included the Saints, Philly, Dolphins, Bengals, Steelers, Ravens, Chiefs, Broncos, Chargers, Cowboys, Bears, Packers, Cards and definitely the Jets.

How's that for bullshit made up speculation?

A QB needy team moved up into the first round to take him. That should speak volumes about how he was valued.

To speculate otherwise is simply sour grapes because you hated the player. There was no chance he was lasting until round 3.

Just stop.

_

4. OverloadBlitz

OverloadBlitz Well-Known Member

Dat Pro day though, undraftable.

b.reyes16 and 74 like this.
  5. Br4d

It wasn't the pro day that sunk him. The pro day was confirmatory for people not revelatory. Think about where the hype was going into the pro day, Bridgewater was already falling in the draft at that point. He was already in the mid 1st.

The thing that sunk him is that people doubted his accuracy when throwing beyond the mid range. He looked like he was putting everything he had into getting the ball downfield and his mechanics were suffering in the process. That's what led to all the overthrows and the occasional popgun misfire when he didn't get a chance to really wind up.

Go look at Geno's pro day tape again. Then look at Bridgewater's pro day. Geno was effortlessly making throws to the deep seams and the deep sidelines. Bridgewater was struggling with those throws.

I think both of them have a chance to be very good in the NFL but they'll be completely different kinds of QB's. Geno really has the arm to play the position. He needs better mental acuity. Bridgewater is going to have to succeed with his wits because he doesn't have the arm to throw his way out of trouble.

Noam likes this.
  6. OverloadBlitz

OverloadBlitz Well-Known Member

He doesn't have the arm? I saw him make a 50 yard throw on the run, Thats plenty of arm. He does have deep throw accuracy issues but he is flawless at every other aspect of his game. I compare his arm to Matt Ryan, not Brett Favre but definitely not Chad Pennington arm.

7. Br4d

Was he moving towards the line of scrimmage when he made it? How much torque did he get out of the movement?

Lots of people say Bridgewater throws better on the run than from the pocket. My view, having watched a lot of his games at this point, is that he's unimpressive in the pocket. He makes good reads but his arm doesn't match up to his eyes often. He really does step up into a lot of the deep throws and often winds up putting the ball over everybody's head in the process. When he doesn't get the chance to step up the throws don't have a lot on them.

He's very careful with the deep ball, probably because he doesn't trust his throws in that range. He's very much like Chad in that regards.

8. JStokes

Fucking Idzik how did you let this guy get past you?

Go fuck yourself, seriously.

_

9. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

Retarded?

10. 74

74 Well-Known Member

Very. He thinks everyone is a bust

b.reyes16 likes this.
  11. JStokes

Top young QB 5 seconds before the snap and 3 seconds after the snap.

The opposite of "retarded" which is such a shitty word.

_

12. JStokes

Btw, Im often confused as to whether you're you or Golden Showers is you.

I'd sue if I were you.

_

13. 74

74 Well-Known Member

He's my evil twin.

14. JStokes

Well, he's your twin.

_

15. 74

74 Well-Known Member

He's adopted

NYJalltheway likes this.
  16. JStokes

I'm thinking he's the doltish twin.

And likely you're the evil one.

_

74 likes this.
  17. Axel3419

Axel3419 Well-Known Member

Just look back at the draft threads. The vast, vast majority of Jets fans did not want us to draft a Qb in the first round. I'm not saying it was the right decision (b/c it wasn't), but we didn't yet know what we had in Geno. The end of his rookie year looked pretty decent and we just got him new weapons (namely Decker), so drafting Teddy would have been a complete indictment of Geno.

Hindsight is 20/20.

18. vedmedv

vedmedv Member

Not Winston...Please!

19. JStokes

It was complete 20/20 foresight on my part. Wanted nothing to do with any 2013 QB. Wanted 5 QBs out of the 2014 draft.

And Geno's last 4 games last year were barely better than shit.

_

20. Axel3419

Axel3419 Well-Known Member

That's wonderful, but remember that Idzik drafted Geno in the 2nd round and wasn't going to waste a 2nd round commodity (in fact, his 3rd draft pick ever) after a year. Even if he had an inkling of doubt in the Geno pick, it's quite a move to pick 2 top Qbs one after the other.

Then again, if Idzik sticks around this off-season I would be shocked if he DIDN'T pick a top Qb in the first round or 2.