How far could Teddy Bridgewater slip?

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Br4d, Jan 24, 2014.

1. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

Teddy is twice the prospect Ryan was--Ryan had a weak arm, was unathletic but was squeaky clean for a franchise that was in desperate need of a squeaky clean guy with all the Vick nonesense. He never should have gone that high. Never. But Blank needed a new face for his franchise.

Tuna was drafting first and he's not taking a weak armed QB there, not when a massive stud LT is right there and the Rams still had Bulger on a big contract, as badly as he was playing.

That was an awful year for QB prospects--awful--Ryan and then some tall skinny kid with a big arm out of Division 3 Delaware? Joe Flacco was Blake Bortles before Blake Bortles.

Then Brohm, Henne, Kevin O'Connell? John David Booty? Oooof. That prospect class was like the 2012 QB class.

To be fair, both Flacco and Ryan have had great success, but yes, Teddy was a much better prospect than Ryan.

_

2. laxin

laxin Active Member

I agree with this 100%. Any team that needs a QB and passes over Teddy will be sorry for the next decade. I just cant see him getting out of the top 5. Honestly, its hard to make a case for anyone over Teddy at #1. He is, IMO, far and away the best QB prospect and on a similar tier to RG3 when he came out.

If he somehow fell to the Jets, I would without a doubt draft him. He is the only QB that I would not even hesitate with drafting. Manziel and Carr would certainly cause me to think it over, but Im not even sure Id pull the trigger on either one.

The fact that people are truly shying away from Teddy because he has skinny legs is absolutely insane. The guy can add 10-15 pounds.

3. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Well-Known Member

we would take him in a heartbeat if he was there at 18.

4. JStokes

Exactly. He's not Luck, but he's easily RGIII.

And no one is shying away from him--it's a smokescreen.

_

5. CleveSteve

CleveSteve Active Member

I disagree with this comparison. Griffin was the prospect he was because of the effortless arm and precision, as well as his throttle throwing the ball (in addition to his freakish speed). Teddy is Teddy because he makes really good decisions and sees the field well. He could improve his ball placement IMO.

6. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

My personal opinion - Bridgewater is a better pro-prospect then RG3. Better decision-maker, can run a pro-offense (RG3 has not proven this).

Only reason Bridgewater is being hated on is because of his physical frame.

7. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I understand what you're saying. Last year, that was definitely true. This year other than Teddy Bridgewater, it's definitely true. QB is the most important position on the team. You know that. NO player, even an LT or stud pass rusher is more important. Teddy most likely IS a franchise QB. If Teddy's as good as I think he is, I don't think even Clowney could be worth more.

Even with all the smoke and hype and misdirection going on, I just can't see all those QB-needy teams being stupid enough to pass on a great QB prospect. I can see maybe the Texans since their owner is "in love" with Clowney, and maybe even St. Louis if they really like Bradford, but there's no way I can see Jacksonville, Cleveland, Oakland or Minnesota passing on him. Something catastrophic would have to come out about him or he'd have to tear up his throwing shoulder or something.

8. JStokes

RGIII didn't become RGIII until his senior year when he exploded off the charts.

Teddy's been doing this for 2 years and I find his arm just as effortless and precise. I LOVE his vision.

The freakish speed and running thing I've never put much stock in because--well--look what it got RGIII.

_

9. JStokes

One of the most cogent things I've read on this board.

It is a QB league.

_

10. CleveSteve

CleveSteve Active Member

I agree with this part for sure. When he was coming into the draft I thought "man, I wish he wasn't such a good runner so people could see what a good passer he is." Now he's damaged goods. :sad:

11. Swedish Ale

Swedish Ale Member

Tbh, the only two QBs I'm still intrigued by are Teddy and Garroppolo.
    Other than that I'm happy watching us finding out what Geno can be.

12. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

I got to think all of this is smokescreens. Something. Maybe Kiper trying really hard to look intelligent but making claims like he has recently. I don't know. Looks like a huge reach to me.

It amazes me that this kid has been so productive and consistent, he literally hasn't done anything to hurt his stock, and yet somehow all of a sudden he's not the consensus number 1 QB anymore?

I could break down all the other QBs and compare but it's pointless to me when you just look at the tape. It's not even close in my eyes. Not even a little.

13. 1968jetsfan

1968jetsfan Well-Known Member

If Bridgewater were to slide to #18 the jets would be fools not to take him.

That said, I'd bet a weeks pay at this point that there's no way he falls out of the top 10, and probably not out of the top 5 picks.

14. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

This

Except i think having Clowney and Watt on the DL intrigues Houston.

Jags take Teddy #3 if Texans go Clowney...

I dont think there is a chance he slides out of the top 5

15. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

I still want to see what Geno can be but i think getting a value pick in the draft would be smart.

AJ Alabama all the way! Pure winner! And the only SB we have was lead by a Bama boy!

I think we can nab him with one of our 3rd rounders.

16. 1968jetsfan

1968jetsfan Well-Known Member

Agreed. Running QB's are great short term, but in the NFL it will reduce a QB's career and longevity to that of a Runningback.

17. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

I have an issue with Bridgewater. Who the hell has he beaten? Has he beaten one actually decent team?

The answer is no, he has not.

18. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

There are enough questions about Bridgewater that he's not a slam dunk in the top 5. His listed height on most of the sites has gone from 6'3" to 6'2" in the last week. His build has always been a question mark.

It's very possible that he's sitting there on the 8 for the Vikings.

19. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

What would Louisville be without him? Is Louisville a powerhouse in football? Was Bridgewater surrounded by future NFL players?

There is stuff to critique with Bridgewater, but I don't find Louisville's schedule to be something worth spending time on. If you are concerned about this stuff, then a guy like Jimmy Garoppolo cannot be drafted. It was also a mistake that somebody drafted Joe Flacco.

20. CleveSteve

CleveSteve Active Member

Louisville had a pretty awesome defense actually. A FS that might go top 40, a good pass rushing DE that will probably go round 3 or 4, and IMO one of the 5 top ILBs in this draft. Those are just the draftable guys. Their DT with the braids is a terror but is only a sophomore. Also, Davante Parker is no slouch at wideout. Teddy is of course the piece that made it all go, but Louisville wasn't a bunch of scrubs.

#60 CleveSteve, Jan 26, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2014