How far could Teddy Bridgewater slip?

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Br4d, Jan 24, 2014.

1. al_toon_88

al_toon_88 Well-Known Member

Pro days are overvalued. This could be a blessing in disguise.

Jeff George blew away scouts throwing against air at the combine.

My concerns are his arm strength and how he handles himself in the face of an NFL pass rush.

Is he another Chad Pennington? Smart, accurate, good decision maker with barely functional arm strength?

Is he willing to step up in the pocket and take a big hit to deliver a 3rd down strike? What kind of escapability / maneuverability does he have when the pocket collapses?

Is he more like Blaine Gabbert or Ben Roethlisberger in these areas?

Matt Leinart barely had a hand laid on him in college and once he got to the proved to be as brittle as they come.

Having said this, I like the guy and want to believe he's legit.

Bridgewater @ 18 could be a gift-wrapped "buy low" opportunity knocking.

If things go as projected, I want Mike Evans, Brandin Cooks, or Marqise Lee @18. I'd also look at Justin Gilbert if he's there.

#261 al_toon_88, Mar 25, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2014
    NCJetsfan likes this.
  2. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Teddy Bridgewater didn't throw at the Combine and then his Pro Day was not that impressive. I think the combination of those two factors is huge at this point. He's going to go do private workouts for various teams now but the buzz going into those is not going to be "this is a can't miss prospect". People are going to be looking at him really hard as he goes through the process and little things that wouldn't have bothered them before are going to stick out now.

I think there's a very good chance he drops down past the 5 at this point. Somebody may fall in love with him at the private workout but the world at large is not in love with Teddy Bridgewater right now.

3. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

It's funny how some posters will say put no stock in the combine or pro day because it's just guys in shorts and t shirts--you gotta watch them play.

Now that he has a poor pro day it's--who gives a crap what he's done for three years--LOOK AT HIS PRO DAY!

Comical.

The guy is a great QB and if he's gift-wrapped for us there at 18, we better sprint up to the podium.

_

NCJetsfan likes this.
  4. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I couldn't agree more.

5. JStokes

I've liked Teddy for 2 yeas now so maybe I'm invested but the guy is an outstanding talent and has an incredible football IQ. That he didn't throw at the combine did not surprise me and that he flubbed his pro day did.

Having said that, who knows what happened that day?

I'd rather look at his 30+ quality starts and real throws under real pressure rather than how he matched up with Mike Mamula.

_

Red Menace likes this.
  6. NCJetsfan

Exactly. I first became aware of Teddy because of other Jets fans raving about him. I made an effort to see every Louisville game I could. In every game I've seen him play 4-5, he looked awesome, in complete command, poised, accurate, smart. I would be excited beyond belief if he fell to the Jets at #18 and they took him. I still like Geno a lot, but I wouldn't worry about the Jets' future at the QB position with Teddy and Geno on board. Both are similar enough, that the offense wouldn't have to change, either, if the starter went down.

7. JStokes

The biggest differences I see weighing in favor of Teddy is football IQ and leadership. Even still, Teddy has a quicker release and is more accurate, but maybe Geno improves there.

_

8. Windeos

Windeos Member

If Bridgewater is there at 18 you have to select him regardless of Smith on our roster. We'd be taking the best player likely available in Bridgewater at 18 so why not?

You can't turn down a potential franchise QB when we don't currently have one and haven't had one in a long long time. It's the most important position on a football team and until you have a top QB it makes things very difficult so you have to keep drafting a QB until we find someone who will lead us long term.

Teddy at 18 would be fantastic value and great for the Jets.

9. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

If he is there at 18 we will trade the pick. Or at least we will try to trade it.

10. NCJetsfan

Why on earth would we? That would not be smart imo. QB is THE most important position on a team. The Jets have expressed doubts about Geno. I love Geno, but even I have doubts about him. Bridgewater is the consensus top-rated QB in the draft, and is rated a top 5 pick, and if he drops to 18 you're just going to trade the pick away? The only thing dumber would be to stay put and take someone else. At least with your option, the Jets should get multiple picks in return, but until they are sure that they have found their franchise QB, they need to keep looking. They cannot afford to pass up on high quality prospect like Teddy. There would be no transition period for him learning to take snaps under center or working on his fundamentals aside from learning the drops for the WCO. He has a quick release, is very accurate, is smart, reads Ds well, and may already be a better NFL-level QB than Geno. If Idzik traded that pick away or passed on Teddy, that would be it for me as a Jets fan. It would prove to me one and for all that there is no hope for this sad sack franchise as long as Woody owns the team.

11. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Probably because if he drops to 18 there are at least 17 other GMs in the league who think he is NOT a franchise QB, are we smarter than them? Reminds me when on the day Gholsten was drafted they did a poll before the draft started and 21 other GMs thought he shouldn't be a first round pick..we were smarter than them too.

12. NCJetsfan

Every team in the NFL passed on Tom Brady at least 5 times, and some 6. You have no point. I never heard of any such poll on Gholston, so I can't speak to that.

13. JStokes

Don't believe in the logic of this at all. Because GMs pass on a player does that mean all GMs should pass? That maybe he should never get drafted? All GMs make mistakes, taking that player at 18 doesn't mean we're smarter than them, maybe we didn't make the same mistakes as them.

By this logic we shouldn't even have taken Geno at 39 because 38 other GMs (us twice) passed on him.

_

14. jetsons

jetsons Well-Known Member

I was never a fan of bridgewater, if he and Manziel are both there @ 18, I'll take Johnny football over him in a heartbeat.

#274 jetsons, Mar 28, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2014
  15. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Bridgewater has slipped to 13 in Scouts Inc's ratings. That's the lowest he has been for them since they first put out the 2014 rankings. It does give them room to move him back up if the wind shifts, however looking at who is immediately below him (both of the top CB prospects) it also gives him room for some more slippage before the draft.

16. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

Don't blame the Jets scouts for taking Ghoulston. The scouting department was adamantly against the pick. The Ghoulston pick was all on Mangini and Tanny unable to say no to Mangini's demands. That pick was made because of one man's enormous ego and on Tanny for not being able to say no. Unfortunately Tanny did not learn his lesson when he allowed Rex to take Sanchez against the scouts wishes in 09. Although in that case the scouts did not hate the pick like they did Ghoulston, they simply did not have Sanchez ranked that high. Tannenebaum's inability to say no to his coach is ultimately may have been what got him fired.

17. NCJetsfan

No, it isn't. It may be part of the equation, but what got him fired was his desire to always see his face and name on the back pages of the tabloids. To do that he always had to make the big splash in FA and by trading up in the draft. He screwed the cap up and left and empty cupboard. That's what got the moron fired.

18. NoodleArm

NoodleArm Well-Known Member

This is just a little snipbit of Teddy's QB Camp w/ Gruden -- anyone have the full thing? (Sure, it's just info-tainment, but it is entertaining.)

If he's there at 18, there's no way that he's getting past us.

Cidusii likes this.
  19. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

That was very impressive, this young man has been taught well at Louisville.

If he falls to the Jets at 18 they better pick him, them the following year they can send Vick packing and keep Geno as the backup.

20. NoodleArm

NoodleArm Well-Known Member

Found this, too (fair warning: it's not very informative at all because it's a shitty exercise, but the helmet cams that they're using are pretty freaking awesome):