How far could Teddy Bridgewater slip?

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Br4d, Jan 24, 2014.

1. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

Yea, I remember the last solid Class that had gabber, ponder and others as first rounders, worked out great. How about that terrible Class that included Rodgers? yep, bad idea to draft a QB there ....

Both rules are shit. You draft based on the talent of the player, not the class.

2. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

Whoa whoa whoa--who ever thought the class with Gabbert and Ponder and Locker and Dalton was solid?

No one--that was an awful class with foresight not with hindsight. People were laughing when Minny took Ponder. Nobody is talking about any of those guys like Teddy or Manziel or Carr--or even Bortles. Hell, Mettenberger and McCarron and even Garapolo are being talked about with higher regard. That class reeked of mediocrity and that's what it has delivered.

But when a class comes along with a solid crop of players at the most importnant position in the league, THAT'S the year to take a QB. Not last year--other than Geno--that class was crap. Why the Giants took Nassib is a mystery. Tyler Wilson didn't even make the team. EJ Manuel looks like Logan Thomas and he's going to be a 6th or 7th rounder this year. Tyler Bray didn't even get drafted. The best of the bunch--other than Geno--is Glennon and he'd be the 7th or 8th QB off the board this year.

Yes, you draft the player not the class. But if the class has solid prospects, that's the year you pick one. When the class has crappy prospects, that's not the year to take one.

_

3. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

QB's with at least 5 years as a starter (half the games in the season) since 1998 by draft class:

1998 - Peyton Manning, Brian Griese, Matt Hasselbeck
    1999 - Donovan McNabb, Duante Culpepper, Aaron Brooks
    2000 - Chad Pennington, Marc Bulger, Tom Brady
    2001 - Michael Vick, Drew Brees
    2002 - David Carr, Joey Harrington, David Garrard
    2003 - Carson Palmer (1 guy out of a rich class that had 4 guys go in the top 22 picks)
    2004 - Eli Manning, Philip Rivers, Ben Roethlisberger, Matt Schaub
    2005 - Alex Smith, Aaron Rodgers, Jason Campbell, Matt Cassell, Ryan Fitzpatrick (5 guys out of a terrible class, more than any other year to date)
    2006 - Jay Cutler (1 guy out of a rich class that had 3 guys go in the top 11 including the #1 overall)
    2007 - Zero guys out of a class that had 5 guys taken in the top 43 including the #1 overall)
    2008 - Matt Ryan, Joe Flacco
    2009 - Nobody yet. Stafford will probably get there.

It's just a total crap shoot. Out of hideously bad QB classes you get runs like Chad and Brady. You get Aaron Rodgers. Out of seemingly packed drafts you get dreck like 2002, 2006, 2007 and 2009.

Somewhere in the QB's in this class you likely have 3 guys who will go on to start half or more of their teams games in at least 5 seasons. It's just completely unclear who those guys will be at this point.

If we see Bortles, Manziel and Bridgewater all go in the top 5 it's as likely to turn into 1999 or 2002 for those teams as it is to turn into a bonafide QB extravaganza.

This is the second draft in a row where I'm happier picking QB's in the mid rounds than I am up top. Much less invested there and you still might get very lucky.

4. TutanKhaman

TutanKhaman Member

Dude, stop trolling. Stop trying to go against the grain. Everyone respectable scout agree Bridgewater's attribute is his arm and accuracy. The only knock on him is his weight. Because of his lack of size if he didn't have accuracy he wouldn't even be projected as a #1 overall. Crap you're saying doesn't even make sense. A skinny, not very fast, inaccurate QB as a #1 projection? yea, right!

5. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Except we'd be able to run the entire play book rather than just lining up in shot gun 80-90% of the time.

6. legler82

Rex probably would agree with you but I'm not sure Idzik would. If he had the chance to secure a potential franchise QB, I don't think he would pass because it would mean the 2014 team may not be good as it possibly could have if they went for the immediate need for a playmaker instead. Unfortunately for you and Rex while fortunately for the majority of posters in this thread, Rex does not have final say.

7. legler82

Bridgewater still there at 18 is highly unlikely. If we ended being so luck, TB in MM's offense would be something special.

8. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

Why is this even being debated?

Teddy WILL be a top 10 pick if not top 5...

If any QB falls it will be Carr and at this point we need playmakers that can catch the ball more then ones that can throw it. Soo i'll pass on Carr and take either a WR/TE to give Geno a legit chance to be good.

9. greencrack

greencrack Member

Bridgewater in MM's offense, even with the current offensive talent, could mean multiple championship births

The playbook, audibles and line calls would all be open to Bridgewater combined with the fact that Bridgewater will know what the heck he is actually doing out there, can throw receivers open and is accurate

10. Br4d

This is a deluded post.

Bridgewater tends to throw to stationary receivers not guys in their breaks. He certainly does not anticipate well and throw guys open. He's very cautious in the middle of the field.

The throws that he makes to moving receivers tend to be behind the line of scrimmage and deep downfield. He's not that accurate on the deep throws and his screens can be iffy also.

You put him on the Jets with their current talent and you'll be exactly where the last two QB's have been: throwing to Holmes when he is healthy and Kerley when Holmes is out and having real issues with everybody else.

11. greencrack

greencrack Member

This post proves you have no idea what you are talking about

12. JStokes

This is a funny post.

_

13. ajax

ajax Well-Known Member

Unless there is some extremely negative news (like Te'o imaginary girlfriend), it's extremely unlikely Bridgewater lasts till pick #18. Not sure how many of these prospects will work out but I believe the strength of 2014 QB class was a big factor on qb-needy-teams passing up on QBs last year.

14. Br4d

On value Bridgewater should go somewhere between the 3 and the 8. Of the other QB's only Manziel is potentially worth a pick in that range. I can't believe that Bortles and Carr are getting talked up as top 10 players. Really Manziel shouldn't go there either but you can at least double-vision him into a big difference maker at the NFL level.

15. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

Experts were all about that class containing several "solid Starters" and there were 4 QB's selected in the top 12 picks, 6 in the top 36, and Ryan Mallett in the third whom people still think could have a future in league. That class had the one thing this class lacks, a sure fire #1 pick of a QB in newton. The rest of the bunch had good tolls but several question marks each.

I see a very similar class this time around. A few good prospects but not a ton of great talent at the position. Sure there could be a couple of long term starters in this class, but there will most likely be a couple to bust out of a job in 3 or 4 years.

16. Br4d

I think the NFL is slow to adapt at times but generally it does adapt to changing circumstances. I think draft classes like the 2006 and 2011 class will have an effect on how teams approach this draft. I think watching the Fins struggle with Tannehill and the Jets struggle with Sanchez will have an effect.

Just because you need a QB badly doesn't mean that you have to take a QB in the first round if the guy who will really help you just isn't there. In this draft the only guy who looks like he'd really help a team is Bridgewater and he doesn't look like he can do it with minimal assistance.

There isn't a #1 or #2 quality QB in this draft. It's questionable whether there's a top 5 QB. I think teams will adjust to that reality when they begin evaluating the other elite players out there. You have to get elite value out of a top 10 pick. If you don't do that it doesn't matter if you got a QB on the pick.

#196 Br4d, Feb 5, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2014
  17. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

To me, this is the type of draft were a lot of guys that should be second or third round picks will go in the top 20 as QB's if you believe the reports to this point. Teddy is worthy of a first round grade for sure. Carr and Bortles are getting way more love than they deserve. Johnny football is loved by fans and some of the evaluators, but I don't see the arm, or the ability to read defenses pre snap well.

Lots of potential in the group, but little in the terms of polished QB play.

18. Br4d

That's how I see it also, with maybe a little bit more love for Manziel accompanied by a tremendous amount of trepidation about all the negative X factors surrounding him.

The NFL Draft Advisory Council told Blake Bortles he'd be a 2nd round pick. Odds are he will go in the top 10 in a Ponder-esque reach.

19. legler82

Didn't think Ponder deserved even a 2nd or even 3rd round grade. So Bortles won't be that bad of a reach going from 2nd round to top 10.

20. JStokes

The day after Phil Savage said Bortles got a second round grade, the Orlando Sentinel reported a source with direct knowledge of the grade said Bortles in fact got a first round grade.

_