How do you think we should address the QB position?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by 1028, Feb 18, 2006.

1. nohope

nohope New Member

peyton manning

After saying that about peyton manning one thing comes to mind...stupidity

2. Patty Mac

Patty Mac New Member

Draft Brodie Croyle or Omar Jacobs somehwere during rounds 2-4, cut Chad and Fiedler, and let the new QB battle with Bolly

3. ThunderbirdJet

ThunderbirdJet New Member

Volek was never promised the starting job, nor can he be aquired for a second round pick. He also isn't a proven starter, his stats are inflated because the Tiatans played from behind and he racked up numbers in late garbage time against prevent defenses. You make it sound like it's all up to Volek.... when Rosenhaus (sic) went to Tennessee last year to demand a trade for Volek, they made him leave town with his tail between his legs.... they wouldn't even meet with him. Tennesse will only trade Volek if they can rape someone. Even if they draft a QB, he'll ride pine, and given McNair's inability to stay healthy, Volek is going nowhere.

I don't know where you are getting this inaccurate info.... Whitehurst is NOT any bigger than Cutler...

Analysis

Jay Cutler has a ton of experience at the quarterback position, having started each of the past four seasons for Vanderbilt. He has prototypical size for an NFL quarterback and he possesses a strong arm which allows him to make all the throws required of a professional signal caller. He is a tough player who will stand in the pocket and make an accurate throw with a defender in his face. He has a quick delivery, very good accuracy on his short to medium range passes and does a good job of leading his receivers, allowing them to get yards after the catch. He does have a strong enough arm to throw the deep ball but he lacks great accuracy on his deep passes. He knows how to read a defense and does a good job of going through his progressions. He is a very good athlete who can get out of the pocket and make an accurate throw on the run or make a play with his feet when needed. Cutler averaged approximately 350 rushing yards per season during his time at Vanderbilt. He has proven to be a very durable player who played through minor injuries and only missed one start in college. Cutlers biggest problem has been his poor decision-making ability. He is a confident player who will be overconfident at times, causing him to force passes into coverage which lead to interceptions. He was a three-time team captain at Vanderbilt who possesses excellent leadership skills and all of the intangibles you look for in a quarterback. Jay Cutler has all the skills to develop into a very good quarterback at the professional level. He is a player on the rise and should be a first round pick in the 2006 NFL draft.

by Greg Benjamin

Analysis

Charlie Whitehurst has prototypical size for an NFL quarterback. He is a pure pocket passer who possesses enough arm strength to make all the required throws. He has a nice release and gets good touch on his deep ball. He did struggle as a junior when he was received a good deal of pressure but he will step up in the pocket and make an accurate throw with a defender in his face. He doesnt lock on to a single receiverhe goes through his progressions well. He isnt the most mobile quarterback. He will get out of the pocket and make an accurate throw on the run but dont expect him to be able to make a play with his feet. He has been a very durable player throughout his college career and he holds the Clemson school record for consecutive games started by a quarterback. Whitehurst has all the intangibles you look for in an NFL signal callerHe is an intelligent player with good leadership qualities and unquestionable character. He is one of the top senior quarterback prospects available in the 2006 NFL draft.

by Greg Benjamin

These reports are from this site....
    http://2006.ontheclockdraft.com/profile.php?id=20050721053083741272

They list both of them at 6'4", but have Cutler at 230, five pounds heavier, but I've also seen both of them listed at 225.

There was another article I read where Fisher went into great detaol on Cutler, which I can't locate, but this one has some of those comments:

Vandy QB: I'm on par with the big names
    By Tom Pedulla, USA TODAY
    In one sense, a record-setting career at Vanderbilt did not change life all that much for Jay Cutler. He is still trying to prove he can be a top-flight quarterback when he competes in Saturday's Senior Bowl.

Vanderbilt quarterback Jay Cutler has shown improvement during Senior Bowl workouts, according to Titans coach Jeff Fisher.
    By John David Mercer, Mobile (Ala.) Register via AP

It was the same story when Indiana and Purdue both recruited the Indiana native out of Heritage Hills High School. They liked the two-way player as a quarterback; they loved him as a safety.

Vanderbilt was the only school to express strong interest in Cutler as a passer, and that was what he wanted to hear. He joined the Commodores and never looked back.

"I knew I could play quarterback," he recalls. "I knew I had the talent and ability I'd need to play the position."

Now he must convince NFL teams that the big numbers he put up at relatively low-profile Vanderbilt school records for total offense (9,953 yards), passing yards (8,697) and pass completions (710), among others bode well for an equally successful pro career.

Judging from the buzz the Southeastern Conference Offensive Player of the Year created during impressive Senior Bowl practices, he is on his way toward doing that.

"Jay has done a very nice job in the past few days of picking up the offense," says Tennessee Titans coach Jeff Fisher, who is overseeing Cutler and the rest of the South squad. "In addition, he takes very well to coaching, and that's one of the things we're looking at.

"We've been trying to improve small technical issues and fundamentals with all the guys, and Jay has made the adjustments we've asked of him. He has definitely improved in the last couple of days. ... We look forward to his performance against the North team."

While it is considered a virtual certainty that Southern California's Matt Leinart and Texas' Vince Young will be the first two quarterbacks to go off the board when the draft is held at the end of April, Cutler respects both but will not concede anything to either of them.

"I think I'm right there with Matt and Vince Young," he says, "in any aspect you can imagine."

Vanderbilt coach Bobby Johnson backs that assertion, however bold it might appear to be to those who are unfamiliar with the 6-3, 228-pound passer.

"I wouldn't be surprised to see him go right up there with those guys," Johnson says, adding, "He's big, he's mobile, he's got a great football mind. I think he's just a born quarterback."

If Fisher should agree, the impact on the draft might be tremendous. The Titans have the third overall selection, and it is no secret that franchise needs to find an eventual successor to battered Steve McNair.

"There has been a lot of speculation about our future plans at the quarterback position," Fisher says, "but it's important to reiterate that we remain committed to Steve McNair and he is still our quarterback. We feel that Steve can still be a valuable asset to our team for the next couple of years.

"However, it is time to address the idea of preparing to replace him in the future."

Cutler hit 273 of 462 pass attempts (59.1%) as a senior with 21 touchdowns and nine interceptions. He closed with a flourish, piling up more than 300 yards through the air in each of his last four games, against South Carolina, Florida, Kentucky and Tennessee.

He threw for 1,410 yards and 13 scores during that stretch. His last collegiate pass produced a game-winning touchdown that lifted the Commodores to their first victory against Tennessee in 23 years.

Bus Cook, Cutler's agent, is confident that Senior Bowl week has boosted his client's value.

"The fact that he played at Vanderbilt and was not in the limelight but still was successful had teams wanting to see more of what this guy is all about," Cook says. "I think it's going really well for him.

I saw the senior bowl, but I don't base my evaluations on one all star game using an overly simplified offense. Cutler had a bunch of drops (4 or 5, I believe) and the INT wasn't entirely his fault either. That WR should have come back on the ball.... any decent NFL WR would have, instead of sitting back. Whitehurst is a statue. Cutler can make things happen with his mobilty. You might also note Fisher's comments about McNair being the #1 in Tennessee.... I have no clue where you got that story about Volek being promised anything.

4. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

We are in a position to set ourselves up with a franchise Qb for the next deacde. We can't pass on that opportunity.. I think with the right coaching any of the three top Qbs can be the franchise Qb we need. One if not two of them will be staring us in the face and one of them will be a Jet..

My order is..
    1a. Leinart
    1b. Cutler
    2. Young

5. ThunderbirdJet

ThunderbirdJet New Member

I found the article I was looking for, thanks to a link at Draft Daddy.....

A Cutler above

By Charles Robinson, Yahoo! Sports
    February 17, 2006

By the time his last Senior Bowl practice had wrapped up in January, the NFL draft's magic carpet had already whisked Jay Cutler away.

The Miami Dolphins wanted the Vanderbilt quarterback for another 45 minutes of interviews. The Tennessee Titans' coaching staff had scribbled out a final list of things for him to work on. Scouts, coaches and personnel men had spent days buzzing about his raw talents. Even his Senior Bowl teammates many of whom had never heard of Cutler before practicing with him clamored for the cell phone number of the week's most popular player.

When it was over, there was little doubt. Like Troy Williamson, Philip Rivers and Dewayne Robertson the last three years, Cutler had taken the crown as the draft's fastest rising commodity.

"What happens with a guy like Jay, he's at Vanderbilt, so all the scouts went there and they know who he is," Cleveland Browns general manager Phil Savage said. "Then he (goes to the Senior Bowl) and more people from the league see him. All of a sudden, other coaches are there and they see him. And they say, 'OK, this guy from Vanderbilt is pretty good.'

"He certainly has the size. He's got the arm strength. He's got the mobility."

ADVERTISEMENT

And now Cutler has the buzz to rival Matt Leinart and Vince Young, giving the 2006 quarterback class the top-heavy hype of 2004 (Eli Manning, Rivers and Ben Roethlisberger) or even 1999 (Tim Couch, Donovan McNabb and Akili Smith). But while Leinart and Young have spent the last two years cementing themselves as the top two quarterbacks in this draft, Cutler's coming-out party has just started.

Despite having the respect of coaches in the Southeastern Conference for years, Cutler is just getting acquainted with the upper layers of NFL management.

"I'll be quite honest with you not every team in the league has studied him yet," said Titans coach Jeff Fisher, who coached Cutler at the Senior Bowl. "They're going to look and see that he's got a lot of the intangibles that you need to play in this league."

Scouts have raved about Cutler's arm strength, his mental toughness and the fact that he stuck with playing quarterback at Vanderbilt despite having many schools recruit him as a safety (Purdue and Indiana backed off at the last minute).

While his size (6-foot-3, 223 pounds) suggests a pure pocket passer, Cutler has deceiving mobility. He played some option as a freshman and sophomore and faced nearly constant pressure as a junior and senior, so he knows how to move and throw under pressure.

Pick a flattering quarterback label and Cutler has it smart, tough, durable, cocky, etc. Those qualities have lent to generous comparisons to names like John Elway and Brett Favre both in a positive and negative manner.

Like Elway, Cutler was never able to lead his team to a bowl game and, because of a lack of surrounding talent, he has developed the habit of relying on a strong arm to squeeze balls into tight spots. Like Favre, Cutler has the reputation of being a bit of a gambler, but in the same vein, he has shown plenty of courage for being mentally tough.

"One of the things that's overlooked when you're evaluating quarterbacks (is that) Jay Cutler playing at Vanderbilt is a lot different than Matt Leinart playing at USC," Savage said. "If (Cutler) goes to a team that's struggling, it's not going to be a new thing for him, whereas it could be for a Matt Leinart or a Vince Young. They won virtually every game during their careers. I think (struggling with Vanderbilt) is a positive for Jay."

It helps that Cutler showed improvement every year and was an accurate passer his last two seasons, completing 61 and 59 percent of his throws the former being a Vanderbilt record. Cutler finished his senior year with 3,073 passing yards, 21 touchdowns and nine interceptions for the Commodores, who started 4-0 but stumbled to a 5-6 record largely due to a defense that squandered close games down the stretch against South Carolina (35-28), Florida (49-42) and Kentucky (48-43).

In fact, those three losses and a season-ending 28-24 win at Tennessee were an astounding testament to Cutler's ability. In that four-game span, Cutler went 121-for-196 (61.7 percent) for 1,410 yards, 13 touchdowns and only three interceptions. And in all four instances, he mounted some kind of late comeback to keep Vanderbilt alive.

That might explain why you can spend a day sampling league opinions and have stories abound about Cutler's competitive nature. Like the time the Commodores were having issues converting extra points, and a frustrated Cutler pulled aside head coach Bobby Johnson and asked if he could attempt the kicks (Johnson said no). Or the time in 2004, when University of Tennessee linebacker Omar Gaither absolutely flattened Cutler in the pocket, then stood above him jawing and taunting. An irate Cutler still lying on the ground responded by trying to kick Gaither.

"You won't see him play scared," an AFC scout said of Cutler. "He's got (guts). That's going to get him into some trouble (in the NFL) when those windows he's throwing (into) close a lot faster. He'll learn it the hard way, but that's a better problem to have than with a guy who is afraid to let it rip."

That certainly wasn't a problem at the Senior Bowl. Most who watched Cutler remarked how he was throwing the football at 100 miles per hour in every situation.

Said Savage: "It's obvious someone said to him, 'Hey, throw every ball as hard as you can to impress the NFL people.' "

But that strength is something coaches are trying to refine. Cutler is not as polished or NFL-ready as Leinart, and he doesn't have the bundle of raw potential and athleticism of Young. In a way, Cutler is a balance of the two with better arm strength than Leinart and the tools to run a more conventional offense than Young. Still, the average pass protection he experienced in college has translated into some issues with his mechanics and footwork.

The problems manifested themselves when Cutler topped off a strong practice week with a subpar outing at the Senior Bowl. In the game, he ended a strong opening drive with an end-zone interception and finished 6-of-19 for 69 yards with a touchdown and a pick. The performance revealed what scouts already knew: Cutler still needs coaching to work out the kinks in his pocket posture, and he still needs to take fewer risks.

"Who doesn't have those kinds of issues?" Fisher asked. "That's what (the Senior Bowl and workouts) are for. We've got to be careful about changing techniques and over-coaching. You want to let him play. The good part with what we've seen from Jay (is that) he's been able to change. From one day to the next, you worked on some things and you (saw) the difference.

"And he sees the difference the difference in keeping his shoulders level and making a comeback throw. When his shoulders are up, the ball sails, but when his shoulders are down, the ball is on target. He understands. That's what we've been impressed with."

Now it's up to Cutler to keep those impressive reviews piling up at next week's scouting combine in Indianapolis. While there's no clear indication whether Leinart and Young will be throwing for scouts, Cutler is expected to go through all of the drills. For now, he appears to be solidly within the draft's top 10 picks, and he could move higher with good workouts.

The Dolphins have been eyeballing him, and there could be as many as six teams among the top-10 picks looking for another young quarterback the New Orleans Saints (No. 2), Titans (No. 3), New York Jets (No. 4), Oakland Raiders (No. 6 or No. 7), Detroit Lions (No. 9) and Arizona Cardinals (No. 10). Many insiders think the key will be the San Francisco 49ers, who will land either the No. 6 or No. 7 pick via a coin flip at the combine. If the 49ers get the No. 6 spot, the feeling in league circles is that they will be looking to trade down with a team that covets Cutler.

But for now, he has clearly established himself as the draft's hot property and the best quarterback option beyond Leinart and Young. Where Jay Cutler goes from here, nobody knows.

"I think I can offer as much as either of those guys," Cutler said of his more esteemed draft rivals. "Hopefully, I can show that to everyone before the draft."

:beer: Cutler is my guy.... has been for months. He has the potential, I did say POTENTIAL, to be a GREAT NFL QB.

6. F Miami

F Miami Active Member

I thought for sure they would keep Pennington no matter what, but now that Mangini and friends have taken over, they're going to do what they can to get him to cut his salary, or they will just cut him. They may wait to see what happens with the CBA before deciding Chad's fate. I think if they don't reach a negotiation, we have no choice but to start completely over at QB. Chad will be gone, Jay will be gone and most likely Brooks will be gone. I don't know where we will get our new QB, as they might wait to see what happens with free agency. I don't really want to see them go through FA because we need someone that will be with us for a long time, someone that can be the face of the Jets. I would like to see us bite the bullet and get a star. If they decide to use the draft to address our QB needs, we gotta take Young if he's there when we pick. Get a journeyman QB to maybe tutor him for the first year or just to battle for the starting spot.

7. nohope

nohope New Member

The Jets should try to see whyat Chad Pennington can do this season and maybe draft Marcus Vick, or Gradj=kowski. There are plent of qb's that are available. I would give Chad Pennington another shot at it.

8. F Miami

F Miami Active Member

That Marcus Vick thing is a joke, right?

9. JetsFan

JetsFan Well-Known Member

SENIOR BOWL PRACTICE REVIEW

#6 QB Jay Cutler is a legit game manager with upside. Had more than enough arm on the 15-20 yard outs and a smooth deep ball. Delivered short and intermediate dump/swings with accuracy. Not alot of wasted motion. Footwork good. Threaded the needle to Klofenstein on a 25 yard go during 11-on-11's. No real bad mistakes - a very nice practice. Carries himself well and when he walks in the room everyone knows he's there - charisma.

Not to be outdone, the other #6 Charlie Whitehurst looked good as well. A shrewd GM might be thinking Cutler's nice but why not take Whitehurst two rounds later? Similar players today, both efficient and looked the part of a pro QB.

Exact Height is:
    Cutler 6027
    Whitehurst 6042

SENIOR BOWL REVIEW

Clemson QB finds his rhythm in triumph....
    Whitehurst, the North’s offensive MVP, directed a seamless drive after Cutler was ineffective on the first two series. The Clemson quarterback was perfect on five attempts for 66 yards, lofting a 15-yard scoring pass to Colorado tight end Joe Klopfenstein and finishing 7-of-9 for 90 yards.

10. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

With the 4th choice in the 2006 NFL Draft the New York Jets select Jay Cutler, QB, Vanderbilt.

11. MSUJet85

MSUJet85 ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

That is exactly what I would do, although screw Henne he is overrated :smile:

12. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

If Chad is truly gone, we are in position in the draft to:

1 Draft Young.
    2 Draft Cutler.
    3 Trade down and draft a second-tier QB.

No matter what QB we select, we will need a vet to step in as starter until they develop. What vet is signed depends on how long the FO predicts the draftee will take to develop, although they could go the safe route and trade for a young guy like Ramsey to start for whatever time needed.

All of this is obvious, but I felt like typing.

13. KY_Jetsfan

KY_Jetsfan New Member

Cutler has bust written all over him. We need to build up the Oline before we start thinking about overrated QB's in the 1st round.

14. JetsFan

JetsFan Well-Known Member

I hate to draft anyone that shoots up the draft like Cutler is doing now. Last time we drafted a fast riser we ended up with Robertson for $6 million a year price tag. What a bust!

15. vegaskarl

vegaskarl Well-Known Member

Send a #2 to Atlanta for Matt Schaub.

16. hydro51

hydro51 New Member

lol just because they found brady in rd 6. we should go that route? you failed to mention at the time they drafted brady the pats thought they had there franchise qb already in bledsoe. we dont have 3 yrs to play with a 6 rd prospect. we dont have starting qbs on our roster now

17. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Whitehurst does not have an arm like Cutler, not too many people do, but he does not have a weak arm, like Chad. He lacked velocity in the Senior Bowl because he was coming off a minor shoulder surgery before his last bowl game. He was still not yet 100% and throwing against gusting winds. Yet he played the best at of all those QBs, including ereryone latest favorite, Cutler.

"Charlie is the son of an ex-NFL player...He's got a very good makeup. He understands the small details. He's been in a lot of quarterback meetings. He's got a lot of skills. He had three different offensive coordinators [in three years]. He learned three different verbiages. He came in here and learned things at our level. That's as big as arm strength."

-Craig Johnson, Titans' QB Coach, at Senior Bowl

Analysis
    STRENGTHS: Size, Mobility, Touch
    WEAKNESSES: Consistency, Decision Making
    NFL COMPARISON: Carson Palmer, Bengals
    Both players are big, prototypical QBs who can slide around in the pocket. Both are capable of making all the throws as well. Palmer is more accurate and a better decision maker, but Whitehurst is similar in stature and reminds me of Palmer as a junior (Like Whitehurst, Palmer went through several OC's during his college career before USC hired Norm Chow).

SCOUTING REPORT:
    Whitehurst has excellent size and strength. He has the physical makeup of a top QB prospect. His arm strength isn't elite, but is good and he has more than enough zip to get the ball into tighter spots and make plays downfield. He gets into his dropback quickly and sets his feet. His release is nice and smooth, although he tends to be a bit slow in getting rid of the ball. Part of that is due to his motion, part of that is indecision. Whitehurst played in a Clemson offense that forced him to make lots of different types of throws and at one point or another, he's made all of them. Lots of screens and quick passes as well as attacking downfield. He is excellent over the middle in the short to intermediate range. One of Whitehursts' biggest strengths is the deep ball and the touch passes. He leads well and puts enough air under the ball to allow his receivers to run under them. He also shows good placement on his fades around the goal line. However, his accuracy varies from game to game and he will need to improve his consistency. Where he also has had struggles is in decision making. He can move and escape the rush and will stand in against the blitz, but will force passes into coverage when pressure is in his face. He will need to improve at taking care of the ball.

18. F Miami

F Miami Active Member

Whitehurst will never start in the NFL, I guarantee. He's not an effective leader and has always found ways to lose games.

19. legler82

If it is true that you don't base your evaluations on "one all star game using an overly simplified offense" you would know that Whitehurst is not a statue. Yes he prefers to stay in the pocket but he can move around to by time and can tuck it and run. Personally I prefer a QB that runs as a last option.

http://www.draftshowcase.com/CharlieWhitehurst.htm

"STRENGTHS: Size, Mobility, Touch"

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/scoutingreports/qb/charliewhitehurst.html

"Strengths:
    ...Good natural athlete who can move around in the pocket a little
    ."

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfldraft/draft/tracker/player?id=9268

"Strengths:...Shows decent foot quickness and mobility for his size. Is smooth and has good body control"

http://condraft.com/player.php?id=91

"Although not agile by any stretch Charlie did display good pocket awareness and some elusivenes"

http://www.fftoolbox.com/nfl_draft/profile_display.cfm?Prospect_ID=12

"He has the size, mobility, and shows the confidence in the pocket to lead his team down the field on a consistent basis
    He is more of a pocket passer than anything else at this point in his career, with a quick release, and has the mobility and arm strength to throw on the run, and has the the ability to scramble once he is outside the pocket area "

Does that sound like a statue to you?

20. legler82

Funny they use to say the same thing about Carson Palmer prior to his spectacular senior season under Norm's Chow tutelage. Like Whitehurst, he was considered an "enigma". A guy with all the physical tools you look for in a top notch QB but has never put it all together. After his great senior season, they credited his inconsistency to having to go through all those OCs. Unfortunately for Whitehurst he didn't get a great QB coach in his senior season to propel from a 2nd day pick to the # 1 pick overall in the draft. Instead he was put in a shotgun offense where the majority of his passes had to be WR screen and crossing patterns, completely going against his strengths, which is great feet dropping back from snap and throwing the deep ball. You saw the performance he had in the Senior Bowl with just one week of practice with NFL coaches. But hey you are entitled to your opinion.