How do we stack within the division?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by cval, May 5, 2021.

1. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

I think the Jets have a better QB and there's no guarantee the Dolphins will be able to get a top QB in the draft.

2. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

Buffalo is a solid team right now. The Pats added a bunch of free agents and Mac Jones, so they have big potential for improvement. The Dolphins and the Jets have a ton of young talent that will mature over the next few seasons making those teams stronger.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  3. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

You think more than one team in the division make the playoffs?

4. Jason MacIsaac

I think it all comes down to the trenches. I think the Jets DLine wins the battle against everyone in the Division, which is something Saleh is counting on. I'm not sure how our OLine fares this year but I know Bills drafted Rousseau and Basham so it's likely they have their way against the Jets OLine.

5. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

In answer to the question, the Jets being last in the division seems most likely to me. It's hard to see that they've gained 5 games on the Patriots and 8 games on the Dolphins (the Bills are miles better). Maybe if Wilson has a Herbert-type rookie season and Tua doesn't get any better they could catch Miami, but given how bad Newton was last year and how many starters they're getting back, even if Jones is bad I still see the Patriots ending up ahead of the Jets.

6. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Patsies fans say Cam was good until he got COVID.

7. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

The dolphins record last year was smoke and mirrors. I don't think they are nearly as good as their record was and we should finish within a game of them one way or the other.

major33 likes this.
  8. 50ShadesOfGreen

50ShadesOfGreen Well-Known Member

It could be our luck that the Jets are one of those teams that make the playoffs with a rookie QB and rookie HC. It seems to be an uncommon pattern. I'll be happy with between 7-9 wins. As long as the games are competitive and enjoyable to watch.

NYJetsO12 and LAJet like this.
  9. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

Which would only make it more likely that they'll finish ahead of the Jets this year, since he doesn't have it any more, and if he's bad they'll pull him immediately and put in Jones (who is unlikely to be any worse than Cam was last year).

10. NOVAJET

NOVAJET "2020 TGG Fantasy Football Champ"

I firmly believe that they trade for Watson at some point.

11. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Watson might not play this year.

12. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Cam is toast guys. He was horrendous last year, even before COVID. Somehow still had a better season than Sam though.

13. Jedi mind tricks

Jedi mind tricks Well-Known Member

I don't think you can say Wilson is better than anyone right now but I like the optimism

NYJetsO12, dmw and Bellys Lies like this.
  14. PJ4Ever

PJ4Ever Well-Known Member

Other than Gase, a new Jets Coach usually means 9 or 10 wins. Been that way since Herm until Gase. Not saying it’ll happen here but I think Saleh is the key to next year and Wilson is the key to the next 5-10.

Footballgod214 likes this.
  15. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Herm had Vinny and Parcell's player base. Mangini had Chad and the 10 pick 2006 draft - which he contributed too heavily in the talent evaluation. Bowles got lucky with a surge of free agents including a veteran QB with a pronounced on-again off-again pattern in an on-again year.

Saleh is a first time head coach with a crappy roster that is being retooled on the fly. Could he get lucky and win 10 games? I guess but odds are the Jets win roughly half that.

Herm had a team that was built to win a Super Bowl but fell short. Mangini had several of the key players from that team and also a game plan to emulate the successes of the previous window. Thomas Jones was about as similar a back to Curtis Martin as you will ever find and the Jets built the OL up just like Parcells had done. Chad obviously was a superior QB when he was not hurting.

16. major33

major33 Well-Known Member

As probably one of the few Jets fans on this planet that watched every Dolphins game last season, I agree with the first part. They were not as good as their record was, but one thing they do have is an excellent leader as a head coach. He willed them to every victory last season. It was almost as if I was watching the games because I was fascinated with the head coach. I could not believe what he was getting out of that team.

This draft was huge for them because their first 2 picks are probably miles better than anyone on their roster. Nobody will be able to catch Waddle and Phillips is going to be a beast.

17. Jets-N-Terps

Jets-N-Terps Well-Known Member

I agree they win the division, but they were lucky to beat Rivers and the Colts just to get to KC - and they were beaten soundly by the chiefs. If I remember correctly, they didn't exactly trounce Baltimore either.

18. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Ideally, we will lose all our games by 3 points or less or in OT while Saleh calls very conservative game plans to eaze Zack along. Second, we trade the #1 overall in 2022 for 4 more 1st round picks, stack the team with super stars, then never lose another game for the next decade! Third, it will be revealed that Woody and Mara had an side bet that the first team that goes undefeated can have exclusive naming rights to the stadium. Giants play out their games in the new Jets-One stadium! And lastly, Adam Silver dies in prison.

dmw likes this.
  19. chandler

chandler Well-Known Member

Unrealistic expectations are my specialty

We have a brand new everything which some will say involve growing pains, but on the flip side might make us tougher to prepare for

Then we have the diabolical -- three amigos -- defense, having a secondary filled with safeties

My prediction is we're in the thick of it this season and make some serious waves! that's my story and i'm sticking to it

20. MDJets

MDJets Well-Known Member

Don’t expect to change much as who finishes where. Jets are expected to finish last. And that’s ok. Keep it low and play. The Jets should be more competitive and improve on wins. They are still another year away or two from competing for playoffs. However with the new coach and new offense they should be exciting to watch and let it play itself out. I expect some good things.