How Did It Go Bad So Quickly?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by boozer32, May 18, 2019.

1. hornblower

hornblower Well-Known Member

This GM stuff and the so-called disarray surrounding the Jets gives the media and talk show types something to endlessly discuss. Heck it's the off season. The draft is over, training camp doesn't start for sometime and if this didn't happen they would have to create some drama anyway. The Jets have a young talented QB for the first time since the NFL became fantasy football. They have enough players to compete well on both sides of the ball. Who cares who they bring in as GM? If they win a few games early all this will be forgotten.

NYJetsO12, Acad23, Falco21 and 2 others like this.
  2. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Nobody posted "That's What She Said!"? Come on, TGG! Get in gear!

cval likes this.
  3. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

Oh I'm paying attention and the vast majority of people outside of Jets fans, are not calling this a "shit show". And to say we are the laughing stock of the league is ridiculous. That's coming from a Jets fan who looks at every move we make as "the end of the world". And to say this is as bad as it has ever been, is just plain idiotic. We had some pretty terrible times in the history of this franchise. Going into next year with a new head coach, a franchise QB, an improved roster, and the best running back in the league, is not the worst this franchise has ever seen.

I always defended Mac and still think he did a very good job with what he inherited, but if Gase and him did not get along, I agree with letting Mac go. Gase is the new face here and we are hoping he brings new life into this team. Whether you think he will, or not, that's irrelevant. Mac has been here for years and year after year we are below average to average. Gase wanting change maybe isn't the worst thing. Whether Mac was the cause of our problems or not, if Gase wanted a new face and someone he can get along better with, then let him have it. What did we lose? Getting rid of a guy more than half of this fan base wanted gone years ago?

4. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Glad Lee was traded he should have never been drafted. No way Lee was ever anybody BPA.

NYJetsO12 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  5. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

dude come on, go look at the draft and who was picked after lee. a bunch of busts and medicore players. the only case that could be made is will fuller (taken 2 picks later) but he's a low budget robby who's injured too often. you are just sounding ignorant right now.

boozer32 likes this.
  6. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Really another Lee suck up. He was trash and was no impact at all for 2 years on the Jets. So how is that BPA strategy working again? Best dump of a worthless draft pick in a decade. Well second best his draft class buddy Hackenberg takes that title. Macc drafts set this team back. Glad he's gone, glad Lee is gone

NYJetsO12 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  7. GasedAndConfused

lol ok i'll just prove you wrong then

PFF ratings
    lee https://www.profootballfocus.com/nfl/players/darron-lee/10654
    ranked above average and 24th overall ILB in the NFL 72.4 grade

comparison
    cj mosely, above average, 22nd overall, 73.6 grade
    williamson, above average, 18th overall, 74.3 grade

in other words, lee is a comparable player to those 2. so if you think he's trash, then so is mosely and williamson. PFF also rated him as a top 5 cover LBer

now lets look at who else mac could have picked realistically (the rest of the 1st round players drafted in order)
    will fuller - solid WR2 but injury prone and a low budget version of robby anderson
    Josh Doctson - WR3 at best
    laquan treadwell - bust
    william jackson - bust
    artie burns - mega bust
    paxton lynch - mega bust
    kenny clark - decent DT
    josh garnett - solid OG
    robert kndimche - decent DT
    vernon butler - decent DT
    germain ifedi - poor RT not a full bust but not starter material. worse then shell who we have

so basically our options were 4-5 busts, a solid WR2, a decent OG, and a few decent DTs. Lee is clearly the best of the bunch and it wasn't a great draft for the 1st round. Lee is clearly better then all of those players. who else would have been better to take? you can argue fuller but he's often injured and we got robby that same year as an UDFA who is better. you can argue ifedi, but we got shell in the 5th round who is better. you can argue one of the DTs but again d-line was far from a need as we had richardson, wilkerson, and williams at that point. d-line was already stacked. so mac not only managed to take the best option. he also used a 5th rounder and signed an UDFA at 2 positions that were better then the ones we could have taken in the 1st round.

Noam and Ralebird like this.
  8. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

No fair! You're using facts.

9. cval

cval Well-Known Member

He is gone does not matter. We signed a player to take his spot, I am sure if GW really wanted him he would not have been traded.

10. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

It didn't get bad really and if you compare the current state of the jets. With the draft being done, having a promising 21 year old QB, and all the talent we acquired via free agency, things are trending in the right direction.

The media freak out to me is indicative of a knee jerk reaction, driven by bias (Manish Mehta spends his time crying about Gase).

Did we all forget that the jets haven't had a winning record since 2015, and haven't made the playoffs in close to 10 years?

How about all the misses in the draft by Macc?

Gase is not a likable figure, but the moves he's done since macc got canned are minor, and are also moves that should have/could have been done awhile ago, but Macc probably dragged his feet on them.

11. GasedAndConfused

lee doens't matter sure, but it was pointing out the fact that he was a good pick by mac since a few people were trying to say he wasn't

cval likes this.
  12. cval

cval Well-Known Member

I think this was Macc's best off-season on paper but that does or did not excuse his previous drafts. My guess Bowles complained also about Macc and when the new coach complained about the same stuff Macc had to go.

The GM stuff will sort itself out, besides a few tweaks on the roster it is what it is so can Gase and Williams coach them up is what I care about.

I am still excited on the progression of Darnold and his chemistry with his new and old targets. If Darnold plays well this year it will be a fun season and talk of future super-bowls if he does not this board will be looking to draft another QB firing the entire staff and starting over.

13. GasedAndConfused

what if we wind up with idzik 2.0? now that was an awful GM or gettleman 2.0?

14. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

We can end up with Ballard 2.0 or Dorsey 2.0 and move forward.

15. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

We would be a little worse off than keeping Mac. But odds are the new GM will be better than Mac.

16. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

In a way it was worse having Macc than Idzik because he was just "good enough" to give the illusion of progress, and was able to hang around for 5 years instead of only 2.

#76 ColoradoContrails, May 22, 2019
    Last edited: May 22, 2019
    NCJetsfan likes this.
  17. GasedAndConfused

that would be nice but only time will tell. i hope we find someone good. i'd also take snead 2.0

18. GasedAndConfused

considering mac is the best GM we've had in the past like 20 years and we've had what like 5 of them? i'd say odds are the next one is worse. mac is the best one J&J hired so far and the chances of them doing even better are pretty slim

19. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Tanny was much better than Mac. He had his share of busts and bad contracts, but under him we had the best roster in football from 2008-2010.

Jets81 likes this.
  20. GasedAndConfused

we had a great defense, but no offense. he drafted sanchez which killed us for a long time. and gave him no WRs to throw to. all we had was a stud D and a really good o-line that was built before he got here. I actually liked MT overall but i wouldn't call him better then mac. and he's been awful with miami too now.