How can the Jets salvage THIS season?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jetfanmack, Oct 3, 2012.

1. Demosthenes9

Demosthenes9 Well-Known Member

I don't necessarily disagree with you. Running the ball is fine. Thing is, it's very helpful to move guys out of the box as it's easier to run against 7 guys than 9 :) It seems counter intuitive, but SPREAD the field to RUN the ball.

Agreed.

Again, the reason for Hill and Schilens to be on the field at the same time is the threat they pose to defenses and what those defense must to to address that threat.

Example, say that you run a super tight formation. Everyone all bunched in. You even tell the defense that you are going to run the ball. Say Hill is on the right and whatever receiver you want is on the left. Across from them are the CBs. Ball gets snapped. Hill and other receiver fire off the line and block. Question, presuming that they blocked effectively, how many guys did the two of them just block ? The answer of course is two. This leaves 9 other defenders to stop the run. That number would increase if one of the 2 CBs was able to get off his block.

Now, say that you spread Hill way out to the right and Schilens way out to the left. That's a 6'4" tall receiver with 4.3/4.4 speed out wide on each side as deep threats. Do you really think that teams are just going to line up in tight man 0 coverage ? Just for the heck of it, say that they do. Ball gets snapped. Hill and Schilens run 9's. Where are the CBs at this point ? They are well away from the LoS and the RB or Qb who is carrying the ball. You just effectively blocked those 2 CBs without even touching them. It gets even better when the DC sees the 2 big WRs out wide to each side and decides that he had better drop a safety back deep, or actually, go with 2 deep safeties as there's no way 1 safety can protect both deep halves of the field.

In effect, it's a force multiplier. 2 guys stay in tight, they block 2 defenders. Move the same 2 guys out wide, they occupy 3 or 4 defenders and take them out of the box. Hell, if you can, send 4 guys on deep vertical routes which will move 4-6 defenders out of the box. That leaves 5 Oline, a RB and a QB against possibly 4 Dline and 1 LB. I like those odds when running the ball.

In short, it's a chess game. You don't need to actually "block" guys, when instead, you can move them out of position so that they can't make a play. (One caveat to this is once the receivers do get deep and bring their guys with them, THEN they turn and start blocking in the 2nd and 3rd levels :)

#81 Demosthenes9, Oct 4, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2012
  2. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Going back to the OP, you salvage the season by seeing what your younger players can do.

For example, I saw a metric today showing Mangold, Ferguson and Moore were all doing much worse than last year. In fact Ferguson's play it was suggested is in a shocking state of decline. Well, shocking if you weren't paying attention last year, but last year I hoped that was an aberration. So far it does not look like an aberrration. But the main point is Moore. Moore is at most two seasons (meaning after '14) from retiring, or at least not starting. Why not leave Slauson in and start VD? If he can't handle it, whatever uncertainty remains whether he is really a bust will be answered. And Smith sometimes looks promising. Landolt, Schlauderhoff, yeah they should rotate this guys in more than you normally do with your OL.

The same is true of several other positions. One tough one for me is NT. I am a big Pouha fan, but he is definitely not what he used to be, due to his back injury. DeVito I am not as down on as some others, but let's see what a rotation giving more plays to Ellis, Wilkerson and Coples can do on the DL. (And so far I am not that high on Ellis, but let's see what he can do. Sometimes he looks like he needs more gas in his tank.)

At LB, Maybin has done next to nothing this year, so give him an opportunity to show whether he stays or not. McIntyre has been good and bad, but maybe he just needs more playing time, which is worth a shot. Even Bellore needs to be looked at. Mauga, Davis, also should get more reps.

Bush at safety is another, but at CB I might not be inclined to follow my own prescription here. I think we already know what the Jets have in Wilson and Trufant, and it ain't good. Lankster, though, should be looked at more.

At wideout they're going to have to do this no matter what since other than Schillens all the guys who are left are younger. Just how bad is Gates? They need to find out.

Keller being out is another situation that at this point is an opportunity. Reuland has not looked bad at times, but Cumberland? He's a huge question mark, unfortunately. Let him play so we can answer the question. (of coures they have to do this, anyway, but my point is it is an opportunity.)

And of course make Powell the starter at RB. We know what the Jets have in Greene well enough by now.

Finally, McElroy has to get in there at some point, as i have said on about ten other threads. Heh.

#82 Big Blocker, Oct 5, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2012
  3. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

We've played 3 good defenses the last 3 weeks, including Miami. There's another really good defense this week. After that, the quality of defenses we will play will start to decline.

The defense has to step up. I think we're one sideline-to-sideline linebacker or one cornerback short to do what Rex wants to do unfortunately. We need to find a way to get this defense back to being comparatively elite and win close games.

4. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Sparano is installing a new offense also. The Jets offense has looked bad in all but one game including all of camp. Now the injuries in the season are beginning to look like the injuries in camp. Still the Jets need to find a way to fight through them.

This team is going to wind up somewhere between 9-7 and 4-12 and both sides of the ball have to play better to avoid the lower end of the scale.

5. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

I started this for the Texans game but it should be our gameplan on offense the rest of the way this season. Short answer is we need to become a ball control offense - but instead of ground and pound we need short passes. We need more West Coast O.

To score on the Texans we are going to need a game plan build around short quick passes and ball control. We need to play fast and keep them guessing. Slants, screens, timing and back shoulder throws - all coming out quick. Nothing over ten yards. We got to dink and dunk our way down filed while trying to control the ball as long as possible. IMO this will play well for Sanchez’s ability and his confidence.

We cant win shootouts. This is not a 5 or 7 step drop offense. Save those throws for the right time – like when we have them thinking short pass. IMO this means Greene should get fewer plays and let some of the faster RBs help spread the field and hopefully make a catch or two in space.

6. LongIslandLou

LongIslandLou New Member

I think you give Sanchez one more shot. It's Monday night football- if he can step up in a big game on a big stage he may be able to salvage the season. If not try one of the two backups.

7. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

It's very possible that the FO is thinking this way also. If so we'd better hope the Jets win Monday night because if not we're going 5-11.

8. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

People are way to negative about the beating we took from the Niners. There are way more teams that resemble the Dolphins and Bills then resemble the Niners. We need to suck less and face competition that sucks more. We can get to 9 wins and make the playoffs.

9. LongIslandLou

LongIslandLou New Member

The best way to salvage the season is to put Joe Willy in press box full of booze and women, mic him up, and let him call the game