How can the Jets salvage THIS season?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jetfanmack, Oct 3, 2012.

1. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Another way of saying this is that the Jets begin to salvage the season by not falling apart when all the indicators are that they're on the verge of that.

It doesn't even take a win on Monday night to do that, just some basic competence on both sides of the ball for a change.

But realistically the Texans are 9th in the NFL in rushing yards at this point and the Jets are 31st against the run. Nothing much is going to matter if the Texans can run all over the Jets and also play sound defense.

Fundamentals are key and the Jets fundamentals are so out of whack right now that just looking average would be a huge improvement.

2. Demosthenes9

Demosthenes9 Well-Known Member

What I was actually looking for as your exact defensive alignment. How many down linemen are you going to have ? Where are they going to line up ? What technique ? Again, I have LT, LG, C, RG, RT, and TE in that order in a tight alignment.

True.

3. Demosthenes9

Disagree here all around. What does it matter that Schilens and Hill perform the same role ? I think it's great that they do and that's why you would actually play both. Put Schilens on one side and Hill on the other. What does that give us ? Height and blistering speed spread out wide on both sides. Think teams will go cover 0 with tight man on both of them for very long ? It almost forces teams to double cover both of them or go with 2 deep safeties as 1 deep won't offer much assistance.

With Greene and Powell, you have a "bruiser" back and a speedier back in on the same play. Greene is available for inside zone runs while Powell is better for outside zone runs.

4. NYJets82

NYJets82 New Member

I was just leaving the front 7 indefinite because most teams have a preference between 3-4 and 4-3. I don't think it would really matter. The only difference would be who becomes the option man that Tebow is going to read.

But I guess for the sake of discussion, I'd go 3-4 because if I were defending Tebow, I'd want as many linebackers and safeties on the field as possible. You need speed that can both plug the run and drop back in coverage.

5. truthbtold

truthbtold Well-Known Member

I can't wait until Monday night ... just so all the "sky is falling" talk in the fanbase and the media can finally end.

I'm not saying we'll win the game, but no matter what the final score is, I guarantee it will look like a football game ... and maybe people will realize we're capeable of taking the field and winning games the rest of the season with the coaching staff and the roster we have.

The SF game got out of hand for one reason ... Holmes handed the best defense in football a 24 point lead ... and now playing the rest of the way against a team that you KNOW is passing every down, with no #1wr, no #2wr, and a backup TE. Give ANY defense that kind of advantage, and they'll look like the 85 Bears. If you're using that game as a barometer, and expecting the same result on Monday you're way off the mark.

As long as we have keller and Hill back in the lineup, and don't kill ourselves with stupid turnovers like we did last week, we'll move the ball just fine, keep the defense much fresher, and play a close game.

If I'm wrong I'll be here on Tuesday admitting I don't know whatthefuck I'm talking about ... but I don't see that happening.
    Does anybody remember the time we got blown out twice in a row under Rex? The answer is no ... because it hasn't happened.

#65 truthbtold, Oct 4, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2012
  6. Demosthenes9

What I was trying to do is get to the specifics, including your alignment, and then demonstrate what kind of plays I would run, with Sanchez being split out wide, and how whomever covers him wouldn't even be a factor in the play. Remember, I'm not talking about sending Sanchez out in the slot, but rather, sending him out wide. Whatever defender is covering him will have too much distance to cover for a blitz to be effective. If he comes off off Sanchez, then throw to Sanchez.

7. NYJets82

NYJets82 New Member

Okay well for the purposes of discussion, we can just say we're in a 4-3 with a Cover 1. With Sanchez out wide, I'd put a safety on him and that guy would be out of the play. But if you're going to leave that side of the field basically unused except Sanchez in order to get Sanchez's man out of the play, you're going to have a huge crowd on the right side.

So basically what I'm saying is that if you're going to give that side to Sanchez in space, I'll play along and put one of my safeties on him and let you take him out of the play. But then if you run the zone read, I'm going to have my DE collapse on the RB and force Tebow to pull it out and run to that overloaded right side. Technically you have the +1 advantage you want, but I just don't think there's going to be enough running room to make something happen when there's a LB, the Cover 1 safety, and 2 CBs all on that side of the field -- even if you do have a blocker for each of them.

8. Demosthenes9

I don't haveto leave that side of the field empty. That said, I'm going to be running the ball to Sanchez's side of the field. Yep. Going to stack everyone on the right, and then run to the left. There's actually quite a few plays that can be called here. Can run Inverted Veer, QB Trap, QB Power. At the snap, I might even bring a WR underneath from the right side and run a Shovel pass, or bring him around the backside and run Double option with him.

There's a heck of a lot more to Spread Option football than just Zone read :)

9. FlashGordon

FlashGordon Active Member

I really hate to burst your bubble, but you may want to lower your expectations. Keller and Hill both missed practice today and likely aren't playing Monday.

10. PatsFan2003

PatsFan2003 Member

The best thing the Jets and the Jets fans can do is lower their expectations. No Superbowl, very likely not even the playoffs. Given the injuries and everything this just may not be their year. Play like an extended training camp and REALLY find out who's worthwhile and get ready to clean house and rebuild. The Oline, the defense everyone. I'd get rid of Tannebaum too. A lot of this is his doing imo.

11. Barcs

Barcs Banned

Why do we need to salvage the season, when we're tied for 1st and undefeated in the division? All we need to do is win games, starting with this weekend.

12. Ryan76

Ryan76 New Member

Great post OP. Let the youth play and see what we have. Keller will help for sure.

Edit - oops I typed Kerely. I wish he would but.... wrong guy

13. JET'S_my_name

JET'S_my_name Banned

*post deleted*

14. truthbtold

truthbtold Well-Known Member

What's up with Keller? 4 weeks with a hamstring! R U Fucking kidding me?? We must have the worst medical staff in the league.

15. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

No, we have a pathetic strenght and conditioning coach in my opinion. look at the number of injuries going back to preseason.
    We fired the previous coach for tripping and now we have zippo

16. Br4d

They're both bad WR's right now. there's absolutely no reason on earth to line both of them up on the field at the same time.

What are teams going to do against them? Let them run 1-on-1 with the corners until they get burned doing that and looking at them so far that's going to be awhile.

I don't think Powell is much faster than Greene if at all. The thing he has is he's shiftier and makes more moves to try to beat a tackler one on one. He's not clearly a better back than Greene and at this point it's not clear that the Jets have any back on the team that is even average. It's actually looking like they don't.

17. catfish

catfish New Member

I don't know about Schillens, but it might benefit Hill just to have him run the go route in a simplified offense, be more like what he did in college....also stickem

18. Gastin-oh

Gastin-oh New Member

Word.. but for reals 'Lowered Expectations' is how most of my friends got um , uh , with 'ladies' in college

19. Demosthenes9

Then personally, I'd line them up on each side, have them run 9's on every play and throw the ball to them over and over again. I'd go ahead and take 2 3 and outs in a row trying to get the ball to them at the beginning of the game, if that's what it takes to force the defense to add safety protection.

Also, you line them both up to stretch the defense both horizontally and vertically. Make the defense cover the entire 53 1/3 yards width of the field, and the entire depth from the LoS through the end zone.

Don't know about faster, but as you say, he makes more moves. I'd say that he definitely is quicker than Greene. And yes, I think he has already shown that he's a better back than Greene at this point, just by looking at his YPC.

I guess my overall point is that you seem to be looking conventionally, as evidence by your statement that you can't have Hill and Schillens on the field at the same time as they are the same style of WR, same with Greene and Powell.

20. Br4d

I'm not looking conventionally, I'm looking unconventionally. I think the Jets should go big and try to run the ball in what is clearly a pass-first league right now. I don't think the talent outside is worth having 2 or 3 of them on the field any more often than they need to be.

The Jets need to establish some competence at this point and an equal part of winning 17-13 and 20-17 games is establishing the ability to grind out 17 or 20 points a game.

If they can do that then the question of whether the defense is at all competent can be addressed. Right now the offense is so bad that it doesn't matter if the defense achieves competency or not, the Jets are still going to lose a lot of games.

Whether you think Hill and Schilens would catch some balls or not there is absolutely no question that Cumberland can get a block off on every play. Basic competency. Not miracles. Later for the miracles.