How are you going to defend Sanchez now???

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by warpedsoul, Nov 17, 2011.

1. 3rdAnd15Draw

3rdAnd15Draw Well-Known Member

It's never all anyone's fault, but when you're a top pick, making 10s of millions of dollars and playing QB you're probably going to get talked about when you play like shit.

What's amazing to me is how quick people are to bash less talented players of the team(like Eric Smith). Not that they don't deserve it, but they same posters will coddle a guy like Sanchez who has all the tools to succeed and blame everyone else under the sun for the lack of production of the offense. I guess it's because if Sanchez really does suck then the Jets are in serious trouble as an organization, and it's a lot more comfortable to pile on cogs in the machine that can be easily replaced.

2. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

I've been hard on Sanchez this year, but quarterback is a position that needs time to develop. And the bolded sentence is possibly the biggest reason why.

We've spent 2.5 years, assuming Sanchez would develop into being the guy. We'll probably spend the rest of this year and a good chunk of next year assuming the same thing. If Sanchez really isn't the long-term answer, then we're screwed. And since he's a free agent after 2013, we'll basically need to figure out by the end of next season if he's the guy long-term, or we have to move on.

He's played like crap this year. The sad part is, that's still probably better than he played the last 2 regular seasons. But the 2 AFC Championship appearances give him a lot of cache. Take those out, and we're panicking a lot more about Mark.

3. swifty1021

swifty1021 New Member

I'd take the mistakes if I was seeing some progression with his decision making, ability to read the defense, and be able to progress through his reads as he drops back to pass, not lock onto his first read receiver, see he is covered, and panic.

4. Cynic

Cynic New Member

If we lose Sanchez we aren't screwed. There is not a doubt in my mind that Jason Campbell would be playing as good if not better then Sanchez if he was on this team. We should target him next year.

As a matter of fact there is no reason why Greg McElroy couldn't play as good as Sanchez from what I've seen.

As long as we keep building our defense through the draft then Sanchez certainly won't be the one that makes or breaks us. All we need is a great D and run game like 09 where we made it to the AFC championship with a shitty rookie qb.

5. maynardsmyhero-uk

maynardsmyhero-uk Well-Known Member

$14 million is the cap number next year...now theres value for money when I see it!

6. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

Sanchez is being put in a situation that he is not ready to be in. He at this stage of his career isn't ready to lead a team to a super bowl.

7. TheGreenCantona

I do not agree with the notion that Sanchez looks like a world beater some nights. I struggle to remember a whole game that he has looked good.
    It should read , some series he looks good on other he doesn't.

8. NJBeliever

NJBeliever Active Member

Why is there this assumption that the running game was awful tonight???? Was it? I thought McKnight played really well, had burst and was an effective receiver out of the backfield.

But more to the point of the thread...there is NO defending Sanchez. He's terrible period. I can't even believe the Jets post-game guys had the never to rip Tebow on not being an NFL QB!! <Herm>Hello!!</Herm> We don't have an NFL QB either!!

9. vincent blake

vincent blake New Member

Another bummer

Glad i stayed up half the night watching our defense playing well but our offense just cant put up any pts in the first half and take control of the game early...Sanchez has to stop taking 3 step drops and getting sacked. Do u thing we can beat Miami???

10. NJBeliever

NJBeliever Active Member

Miami is balling right now. Especially on D. We'll lose that one too.

11. The Notorious J.E.T.S

The Notorious J.E.T.S Well-Known Member

Nobody can deny this, but I think the major issue a lot of fans have (myself included) is that with the talent on Defense & Special teams we have had these past few seasons, we haven't needed a "great" QB, just one good enough to not cost us games. This is not a rebuilding team...so why have the Jets saddled their playoff hopes on an inexperienced QB who is not showing enough improvements?

I like Sanchez, I really do. I think he's a good guy who wants to win and who is willing to work hard to do so. His physical and mental limitations are not his fault. I just don't want to look back at this period in Jets' history and say "damn, we wasted having that great defense (with probably the greatest CB I've ever seen in a pass-first league)."

12. NJBeliever

NJBeliever Active Member

We are wasting it. Every passing week that Sanchez is still the starter is wasting it.

13. Jets-N-Terps

Jets-N-Terps Well-Known Member

You are flat out wrong. His rookie yr, they won in spite of him. Last yr, they won because of a balanced team - decent qb play with some flashes, but too many glaring mistakes. This yr, they can't hide him. Tom Brady or a healthy peyton would have 3 more wins.

You just can't hide this kid behind a great running game any more. He is too mistake prone.

Every fucking game he's good for at least 1 glaring, game changing mistake. Mix that in with 3 or 4 very good performances over the course of a season and it just isn't enough.

I was on the Shotty sux bandwagon earlier, but it isn't him. Sanchez just misses too many throws and fucks up too often.

Last night, for instance...Misses holmes for a TD, throws a ball 2 feet too high to keller in the end zone that should have been and easy TD, Pick 6...we could go on and on.

14. sackexchange

sackexchange Well-Known Member

I've said it before, I'll say it again. We would be just as well off with a cheap, journeyman QB as we are with Sanchez. There is absolutely no way we should extend him unless he makes quantum leaps next year.

15. MParty7441

MParty7441 Well-Known Member

I agree. After the Pats game last week was the first time I have actually thought maybe Sanchez isn't/can't/won't be the long term solution for this time.

16. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Sanchez clearly does not grasp playing in the NFL as a QB, at this point in his career.

That said, I still cannot forget the playoff performances. THE CAPABILITY IS THERE!

This team needs improvements in key positions other than QB before we can worry about QB.

We need a RT, an all-around TE but mainly one that can block, we need versatile LBs, and a safety.

17. Jets-N-Terps

Jets-N-Terps Well-Known Member

Another idiotic comment in this thread.

Sanchez GAVE them a TD. Did you fucking miss that? The D gave up 10 points. 10 fucking points! The offense scored 6. That fumble recovery was lucky as hell, so I'm not counting it.

18. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

I give him one more year with a new OC to see if he makes any improvements. If he doesn't then we have to look in another direction. Everyones patience is running really thin, and honestly Sanchez's play is an extremely valid concern at this point.