How about Taylor Mays

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by mezzavo, Aug 5, 2011.

1. James Calvin

James Calvin Banned

^^ gay alert.

2. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

That pic may be why they didn't re-sign him.

3. Rockefella

Rockefella Trolls

Exaggerating but it would be nice to see Brady get destroyed on a blindside sack. Not like I want the guy to get brain damage but a messed up arm and bruised ribs isn't too despicable.

4. Twombles

Twombles Active Member

As soon as it was announced there would be HGH testing Mays is on the tradeblock....

5. Kerley Shuffle

Kerley Shuffle Active Member

I'd rather we picked up Tanner Mayes.

6. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

giants should get in on mays.
    coughlin had some good sucess with donavan darius in j'ville and he was pretty much the same thing.big hitter who couldn't cover

7. kevmvp

kevmvp Well-Known Member

This

filler

8. rock316nyj

rock316nyj Member

Ok so maybe the guy isn't cut out for Safety....but what was one of our biggest weaknesses on D last yr? The ability for our LB's to cover...Mays is 6'3 230 with 4.3 speed...is it out of the question to say this guy can't add another 15 lbs onto his frame and keep 4.4-4.5 speed? We all know he can hit, and playing OLB would not allow give us better coverage from that area, but imagine him in Rex's blitz packages. I'm all for this if the 49ers are willing to accept a 5th rd pick, upgraded to a 4th with playing time/performance

9. MagillaGuerilla

MagillaGuerilla New Member

So let me see if I've got this right, he is a massive liability in coverage and lacks ball skills at Safety, yet if the Jets moved him to OLB, he will improve the same aspect he is bad at at LB?

10. JetsFan

JetsFan Well-Known Member

Mays would be good for a ST guy and a deep depth safety. Westoff would be able to turn this kid into a good coverage guy.

A later round pick and his contract which is around $450K this year wouldn't be bad at all.

11. Franchize

Franchize Well-Known Member

if Mr Electric's research is true and he's only due 450k, I'm down for giving up a 6th or 7th.@ the very least,he's a big time hitter.We can send him on blind side blitzes.He cant be much worse than Drew Coleman who was abysmal in coverage last year.Not to mention he's 23 n has good size for a safety.I think it's worth a shot.Safety is our weakest position IMO on defense...even with Ellis still not signed.Leonhard is still aching and is undersized to begin with.Brodney is ok but inconsistent.Eric Smith sucks and Lowery is really nickelback.We're gonna see more and more pulled hammies from Revis and penalties from Cro if we dont get them some deep help.

12. Dirty6Sanchez

Dirty6Sanchez Well-Known Member

I wouldn't be too upset...yes I'm a horrible person:up:

13. mst3000

mst3000 Member

Oh Mel...

{filler}

14. laxin

laxin Active Member

for a 6th or 7th, a steal would be an understatement.

15. SoulFood

SoulFood Active Member

So I have a man crush on James Ihedigbo...

16. Awells12

Awells12 New Member

I'm bummed they didn't resign ihedigbo, it seemed like he was in on all the ST plays

17. AarontheJet

AarontheJet Active Member

We have enough safeties as is, but seriously I really wouldn't want this kid. I mean yes, he has plenty of potential, but to sit there and teach this kid how to properly play the position and hoping he actually takes in the information seems like it'd be more work than it's worth especially if it costs us a pick. I mean, he doesn't have great football IQ, he might be one of those guys who just doesn't get it ever. Plus we already have to intelligent starting safeties in Leonard and Smith who have enough talent as is (sans Smith's molasses legs lol). If he showed more promise I wouldn't be against it, but I feel like he'll be a subpar safety in mostly every system.

#37 AarontheJet, Aug 6, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2011
  18. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

He had signed a 4 year $3.91 M contract I believe broke down like this with a $2.075 M signing bonus so even a little less than $450K

2010: 365,000
    2011: 405,000
    2012: 490,000
    2013: 575,000

19. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

You may have gotten ripped for saying he was better than any safety the Jets currently had

20. rock316nyj

rock316nyj Member

1) It was his first year in the league, and so yes, it is not out of the question to suggest his coverage skills can improve over time.

2) Yes, playing OLB instead of S, in my opinion, would indeed help in this area. No longer would he constantly be asked to essentially play a quaterback type of role covering deep threats.

3) He would be covering more TE's and RB's out of the OLB spot.

4) He already has the size with incredible speed, if he adds a few pounds to his frame he would be a huge asset on blitzes.

I'm not saying this is guaranteed to work, but its certainly worth a 5th round pick if we could make it happen. If anybody could coach this kid up it would be Rex.