Horror Flick Fans: List Your Faves (Made For TV/Sci-Fi Mixes Welcome) & Critique Away

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by jetophile, Oct 28, 2017.

1. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

This is a great movie for anybody who likes atmospheric horror. I would definitely watch it again.

westiedog1 likes this.
  2. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

3. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

Sweet!

I saw 'Smile' a few months ago. A little dervative and they stole the way the creature looks from the movie 'Rec' but an OK watch.

'Headless Horseman'. It's the worst pile of shit I've seen in a while. Not bad enough to be good, it just sucks. Watch this at your own peril. Trust me, you'd have a better time cleaning prison toilets.

4. Br4d

90% of the horror flicks are under-budgeted trash that try to get by on shock-effect without having the special effects budget to make it work.

Occasionally I'll go trolling on Youtube looking for the 60's and 70's Hammer flicks and I always come away disappointed because the film is much worse than 15 year old me remembered.

Taking nothing away from Christopher Lee who basically carried an archetype for most of his career.

If you want Ichabod Crane done right you really need Sleepy Hollow. Good acting, good budget and creepy as hell.

5. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Meh. A franchise reboot that lacks any of the humor that made the original good. I'll watch it as a horror movie, but that's not Evil Dead to me.

Dierking likes this.
  6. Br4d

Watch the series with Bruce Campbell. Freaking funniest thing on TV in a while and it's mostly Bruce doing things only Bruce can do.

Don't expect it to be nonstop funny though. The big laughs were out of nowhere and had me gasping.

westiedog1 likes this.
  7. jetophile

DO NOT RECOMMEND. THIS IS A PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT. Frankenstein vs The Mummy. They didn't even have the good sense to know that Frankenstein is the DOCTOR not the MONSTER. Totally sucked, but it is good for some laughs if you can get passed being wildly annoyed over how shitty it is. The monster talks like William Hickey in Prizzi's Honor.

8. jetophile

'Zombie Apocalypse: Redemption'. Hahaha, where has this so bad it's great POS been all my life? Zombies outnumber humans 10,000 to 1. The U.S. and the Soviet Union (maybe they forgot it's Russia now o_O) has set off all of their nuclear weapons at strategic places in the world. The world is now a wasteland and the zombies still outnumber humans.

Unintentionally hilarious script? Check. Acting so wooden you sometimes forget who the zombies are supposed to be? Check. Gratuitous gore? Check.

Not to be taken seriously in the least, but it's obvious that this was NOT meant to be a horror comedy.

9. jetophile

I tend to despise films with kids in general, but occasionally there are exceptions and this is one of them: 'Knuckleball'.

The kid in it thinks outside the box, and he's always one step ahead. It had a lot more potential than it delivered, but it's a fun indie psychological horror film with a good smattering of gore. Highly recommend.

EDIT: The kid is pretty great. It's a battle of wits, murderous psycho meets 'Home Alone'. I'd like to hear anyone who has seen it weigh in.

#389 jetophile, Dec 26, 2023
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2023
  10. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

So many zombie movies out there. One I can recommend for fun is Scouts Guide to the Zombie Apocalypse (2015). It's really a teenage angst movie dealing with school, bullying, sex (or lack thereof), and most importantly friendship. The zombie stuff is almost an afterthought taking a backseat to the more mundane stuff. It also features a "hot", and I mean "hot" actress (Sarah Dumont) who plays a regretful former stripper who gets caught up with the "boys" trying to escape the undead. A fun movie.

11. jetophile

Good one! You know what you're getting.

12. jetophile

So, does anyone want to know what my avatar is about? No? OK, I'll tell you all, anyway! It's Angela (really Peter) in the hilariously bad 80's horror flick 'Sleepaway Camp'. Someone HAD to have mentioned this movie (maybe me, heh) because I definitely mentioned 'Sleepaway Camp II', starring Pamela Springsteen, Bruce Springsteen's sister (I am NOT a fan of his) Anyway . . .

Angela's (really Peter's) parents and sister get killed in a boating accident, and his Aunt always wanted a girl, so she changed his name and raised him as a girl. Angela carries a lot of deep-seated resentment (who knows why in the big payoff Peter had to get brain surgery to convert him to girlhood - OK, actually it's because of the boating accident that his head is bandaged) about his repressed sexuality, so he/she Angela goes into fits of rage and starts murdering anyone who engages in sexual activity or when he/she gets sexually aroused.

In deference to a film that is all trash and hilarity that would get canceled in a New York Minute in today's pronoun/gender fluid/gender neutral bathrooms society, I lift a glass to transgender Peter, who of course is a mentally ill psycho because of his gender and sexual identity confusion! That's why people today hate it, and that's why I love it!

HAHAHAHAHA! Anyway, I usually have someone or other screaming, "GO JETS!" in my avatars, so there ya go.

westiedog1 likes this.
  13. jetophile

'Blood Red Sky', this was fun, but the funnest part of all was at 126:17. Now why would I take special note of this?

A woman is a vampire & is flying to NYC for treatment for a 'blood disorder'. The plane gets delayed because terrorists, so her fangs come out to protect her son, who thinks she has leukemia. She rampages in a bloody gore fest, and chops this guy's hand off to stop the vampirism from creeping up his arm (passenger/ally).

His hand is a bloody stub with a phone cord as a tourniquet, and as he's running up the aisle, he says, "We need a doctor, we need a doctor!" Old woman stands up: "I'm a doctor!"

The Bugs Bunny reference was so unintentionally right there.

Yeah, so, I shrieked.

#393 jetophile, Apr 29, 2024
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2024
  14. jetophile

'In a Violent Nature'. Some familiar tropes (a locket releases evil, messing with things you shouldn't, people in the woods, swimming in a lake, campfire stories, a hulking killer hunting teenagers, there's a sole survivor), but the hat tips are because they're hat tips, not weak ripoffs that ignore homage. I don't know why the killer's name being Johnny slayed me (heh), probably because of 'The Room', haha.

The interesting part is that most everything is seen through the eyes of the part Leatherface, part Jason, part Michael Myers killer that looks like he's wearing a Gopro camera. Also, the kills are wildly inventive, a huge plus. There's one that defies description, haha.

So what fuels the embodiment of a dead Johnny's rage? Bullying in his past. Gotta love that; but it's only vaguely implied that the people who get it are displaced targets for his own cruel murder. It's more more about violence being as natural as breathing to people. Animals are always slaughtered just for being animals, but it's their nature to kill to survive (not parsing about rogue lions, etc). People are fcking animals that don't only kill to survive, especially when they're not starving or thirsty. They just like it.

I'm not saying it's a cinematic masterpiece, the acting was only OK, but it has a lot going for it (including the Canadian wilderness). Highly recommend. On a Gore Meter of 1-10, it's an 11. Go, Johnny, go!

ETA: Trailer

#394 jetophile, Jun 26, 2024
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2024
  15. jetophile

'The Young Cannibals. Well, that was campy fun. Also directed by a woman, female horror directors are starting to make their mark.

Well, there's some cannibalism, obviously. A girl gets sprung from a Psych Ward on her birthday, and then seven cardboard jackasses who we don't feel particularly motivated to care about get scammed into eating burgers made of human flesh. It awakens a monster who must continue to be fed in a human burger cycle. Hilarious premise, really. Maybe it has something to do with shit diets and cholesterol numbers?

The main guy in the human burger ruse does his best Sam Waterston imitation. I laughed during most of this movie and didn't give a shit about anyone. Scenery is worth it. C+.

16. jetophile

'Welcome to Mercy', not your usual evil nun drudgery. It has its atmospheric moments. Definitely worth the watch.

17. barfolomew

barfolomew Well-Known Member

like in home alone

18. jetophile

Yes, mentioned.

19. jetophile

'Late Night With The Devil'. I was really amped for this movie and it delivered (a few shitty AI moments notwithstanding). David Dastmalchian was absolutely fantastic (he's also very cool looking, IMO). The premise is pretty slick.

The host of a 70s late night talk show goes gimmicky on Halloween to boost his ratings. He gets more than he bargained for.
    Don't sell your soul to the Devil.

jets_fan, barfolomew and abyzmul like this.
  20. jetophile

I just like I'd ad some fun awesome background to 'Late Night With The Devil'. The filmmakers got inspiration from the Don Lane and James Randi "incident". RIP, James Randi, did I ever love that guy. Debunking assholes, shysters, liars, scam artists, and frauds was his personal mission. He could have debunked Jesus if he was alive at that time, lol.

Paul Zenon is also very cool. Watch if you have time to waste. What a beat down. It's also fun to note that Leigh Catherine wussed and ultimately backed out of James Randi's Million Dollar Challenge. What a surprise. o_O