horribe 2 picks in the first....

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by jerseyjay14, Apr 25, 2013.

1. 85inthehall

85inthehall Well-Known Member

Day 2 is simple - Best TE available with the first pick and the best OL available with the second. If you aren't trading for Ivory maybe you see if Ball is there in the third.

2. LeonNYJ

LeonNYJ Well-Known Member

To the discussion at hand:
    @MMehtaNYDN 11h
    Idzik admits that he did "field some offers" for their two picks tonight. #nyj

and some other tidbits:
    @MMehtaNYDN 15m
    Jets would have selected Tavon Austin with No. 9 pick if they couldn't trade down, I'm told. Rams-Bills deal made it a moot point. #nyj

@MMehtaNYDN 9h
    Jets likely to address offense (interior lineman, TE/WR) on Day 2 of draft. Have picks No. 39 (2nd round) and No. 72 (3rd round). #nyj

3. namath4ever

namath4ever Member

Carolina would have picked him right after the Jets

4. Tony

Tony Bipedal, Reformed

One other point on the Richardson pick. He should help our pass rush. I was watching Mike and Mike this morning, and Bill Polian had glowing things to say about this guy, which included his ability to pressure the QB from the inside. I'm liking the pick more and more. Our DL is looking downright scary good at this point.

5. NJBeliever

NJBeliever Active Member

Which means Lotulelei drops. So we're still good money.

6. ajetsfan4ever

ajetsfan4ever Active Member

You can never have enough D- lineman........ Just ask the Giants.

#146 ajetsfan4ever, Apr 26, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2013
  7. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

actually, everything you just stated disputes his post, so how can it be absolutely correct? NJBeliever is questioning whether the Jets even tried to trade the pick, because if they had tried he states it shouldn't have been hard to find a trade partner as "historically, it has not been that hard to trade down in the first round."

that is the complete opposite of what you just stated, that it appeared the Jets tried to trade the pick but could not get a partner. how could what he said be absolutely correct, that it has never been historically difficult to find a trade partner to trade down in the first, when you are presenting anecdotal evidence that the Jets tried to trade down but could not find a partner?

8. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

if the Jets wanted to Lotulelei, they could have drafted him and avoided this whole song and dance. getting Lotulelei is not the solution if they preferred Richardson.

9. dr.velociraptor

dr.velociraptor Tired of BS

Great I imagine Wilkerson takes a step back now.

Hey what to do when Coples and Wilkerson are coming into their own? Let's change to the 4-3 so they both take a step back, and draft an undersized DT who doesn't have a year starting.

10. NJBeliever

NJBeliever Active Member

I agree. But I don't see how much of a difference there could have been in their grading. Star has more sacks, tackles, is just as fast (of course overlooking that Floyd is faster than both these cats as he ran a 4.9 at the combine which is mind-boggling for a DT) and can play all over the line. If we could have gotten another pick out of it I think it's worth whatever dropoff they perceived between the 2.

#150 NJBeliever, Apr 26, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2013
  11. LeonNYJ

If there's anyone you should trust when it comes to DL it's Rex. Rex spent much of his life coaching DL and was one when he played. IDK how anyone here can say they know more than him.

12. dr.velociraptor

Rex has been a terrible judge of talent in the draft. In his tenure our drafts have been largely terrible.

13. 4jetfans

4jetfans Well-Known Member

Maybe the players we wanted were all gone and you just take the BPA. I still have loads of faith in this GM. Lets see what happens in the next rounds. Go Jets

14. dr.velociraptor

Then that should've been Star or Shariff Floyd, both will be monsters in the NFL.

15. LeonNYJ

The defensive linemen that have been drafted under Rex have been Wilkerson, Ellis, and Coples. Wilk is turning into a beast. Coples looked quite good last year. Ellis is still WIP. Not sure how you can say he's been terrible when it comes to DL.

16. dr.velociraptor

I said he's been terrible when it comes to the draft. Wilkerson is the only draft who has panned out, you can't say that about Ellis or Coples. And now that they're going to change to the 4-3 I imagine Coples and Wilk take steps back.

That said look at the talent they've passed over under Rex too.

17. LeonNYJ

The rest of the draft hasn't been good, I'll admit that. I'm just saying that Rex knows what he's talking about when it comes to DL. We'll see how it turns out either way.

18. Mr. Green Pants

Wow, hatin' much? Ellis has shown promise when he's actually been able to stay on the field. Coples had a very respectable rookie season, probably no worse than what Wilkerson delivered in his first year. Tagging those guys as "terrible" picks, or saying they haven't panned out, is asinine. Also, it can't be assumed there will be a change in scheme, nor can it be assumed that those guys will respond poorly to it. You are pulling stuff out of your ass.

19. JetsTillDeath

JetsTillDeath New Member

Would have loved to see:

#9 Warmack

#13 J Jones

Don't hate the Millner pick as this makes Cro and his contract expendable next year... we are drafting and building for 2014 - this year is a wash..sux but true.

This kid Richardson can play, but we need a pure pass rusher more than an interior pass rush.

Those of you saying he is not a 3-4 NT - - WE DO NOT RUN A CONVENTIONAL 3-4. Rex mixes it up a ton. We ran a ton of 4-3 last year..sets with two down linemen etc.. This gives Rex the ability to confuse offensive blocking schemes by have 3 excellent down linemen, two of which (Coples/Richardson) can line up at several different spots on the field. On first down we can run a 4-3 and add Ellis to the line. This will keep opposing blockers off of Harris and D. Davis.

I am not saying I like this pick - - however I do see some logic and benefit in it. WE MUST draft a guard at some poing in the next two rounds.

20. JetsTillDeath

JetsTillDeath New Member

Wow - go watch the tape man... we are not a 3-4 or 4-3 team. Rex mixes it up a ton. He wants versatile players that he can move around.. 2 down linemen...5 down linemen.... move Coples and Richardson around right out of the huddle, keep offensive on their toes.

There are lots of reasons to not like the Richardson pick, but saying its because it will force them to move to a 4-3 is ridiculous and ignorant.