Holmes has to go now

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by ouchy, Oct 1, 2012.

1. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Someone has to say it.

There is no way I care anymore that he is the only big play receiver on the team. His antics are becoming poison to the team. He shows up when he wants to. He only plays hard when he wants to. He sets a terrible example for the younger players. He cries when things go wrong. I am not going to act like "oh we need you Holmes" because he is not worth it. He has no future with us.

That gimme TD yesterday should be the last straw for all of us. A frigging ticky tack injury and he throws the ball to the other team? WTF!!!! Why not throw it out of bounds? Killed the game right there. All Holmes cares about is himself and he made that clear Sunday.

Get whatever we can in a trade now so we can build for the future.

2. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Holmes has a $9 mil salary next year and none of it is guaranteed.

He is gone after this year along with Shonn Green and at least one of our starting guards.

3. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

If Rex has the balls he will get rid of him now and send a message to the locker room.

4. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

We're already short on WRs, so the solution is to get rid of one of them & eat $9M in the process... Great idea!

5. 85inthehall

85inthehall Well-Known Member

he is contracted in - and is the only weapon they have on offense.

6. NFL

NFL Active Member

I was saying that yesturday and wanted to wait for someone to bring it up. He only cares about himself, gave them the ball. Even if it is serious, he has to think about the team in those situations, not just give it up. If he's out for the season, we should just cut him now.

7. Jtuds

Jtuds Active Member

I didnt see the gimme TD, what happened?

8. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

Holmes is a douchebag but the only guy who can make a play on this piece of shit offense. We can't get rid of him, but he might be done anyway with that injury.

9. 85inthehall

85inthehall Well-Known Member

Did I nap during a gimmie touchdown? Jets didn't even get to the red zone once yesterday.

Did have one deep ball knocked away that looked solid though.

10. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Screw the money - thats the point.

He hurts us as much as he helps us because he only plays hard when he wants to. Add to that he is bad for the locker room. I guess we should keep that on the roster since we are paying money?

I am willing to bet a lesser WR wouldn't hand the other team a TD at the first sign of pain.

11. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Holmes is fully guaranteed next year. Picking up the guarantee this year vested him for next year as well. Cutting him this year would have been a total disaster against the cap.

Another brilliant contract hamstringing the Jets whichever way they went.

Why does Tannenbaum have such a good rep as a contracts guy when the Jets hands are always tied by too much money/cap issues with players not producing?

12. concussion80

concussion80 New Member

If you're gonna post here its probably a good idea to actually watch the games.
    Just saying.

13. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

He came up lame, and just threw the ball before being downed.

14. sackexchange

sackexchange Well-Known Member

The time to send that message would have been after the Miami game last year. It would have been the tough thing to do because the Jets were and are cap-strapped. It also would have been devastating to the receiving corps because it would have meant that our #1 WR was ???? But I said then and I'll say now, it would have been the RIGHT thing to do.

Do you think there is any way a team like the Steelers or the Patriots or the Giants tolerates this type of bullshit?

15. kevmvp

kevmvp Well-Known Member

We dont know how severe the injury is yet but I think it really just shocked/stunned him with it coming out nowhere and all and he just threw the ball and grabbed his leg. I dont think he was trying to be careless with the football, he probably honestly just didnt know what to do.

Those are such freak plays I cant hold that against him.

16. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

When you tolerate bullshit you end up being bullshit. Why be bullshit just because Holmes has some talent? The Steelers knew this when they released the guy. WHo cares how much money we are paying him - he gave the other team a TD.

17. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

I disagree on Holmes he has really stepped up this year. He has been wide open all year. Sanchez has missed on him on 4 easy wide open TDs this year or otherwise his stats might be pretty huge.

He had some drops against Pitt. But Pitt was mugging him all day and holding his arms. Hard to blame him for that he is not a physical WR.

He is never going to be a great teammate but he came to play this year and has been pretty good on and off the field. He is also owed a guaranteed 7.5 million next year. So he is going nowhere.

18. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

Ok, I'm no Holmes fan, believe me. But getting rid of the only credible WR you've got.... I dunno.
    I get your point -- screw the money, let's give him a finger so that everyone in the future will know that if you don't play "like a Jet", you don't play. But does it worth effectively ending your season in Sept/Oct? I'm not sure. Especially since in 4 months you can do the same with much less pain.

19. NewYorkEveryThing

You guys are making it out to be that holmes is good enough.How many tds does he have this year?How many 100 yd games?He gets paid like vincent jackson. But he is 5 inches shorter.Not fast at all.He is no 1 WR .I say cut the thug.

20. SKIBA-JONES

SKIBA-JONES New Member

Get rid of Tone this is brilliant. Then we can bring in T.O and Ocho right? Gimme a break.