Hindsight Poll: Rosen and the three seconds, or Darnold?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Will-I-Am-Not, Apr 27, 2018.

?

If you knew you could draft Rosen at 6, and keep the three seconds, would you?

Poll closed Apr 30, 2018.
  1. I'd take Rosen and the picks.

44.4%
  2. I'd still make the trade to land Darnold.

55.6%
  1. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

I am loving that Sam Darnold is a Jet. He will be a tremendous leader, role model, and QB for a long time hopefully.

Rosen is a great talent too, but I do think there is something to his character that teams were turned off by. Not to mention he couldn’t finish the last 2 college football seasons. That isn’t a good look if you cant stay healthy in college.

My answer is no, having the extra 2nds would have been great, but I think that the Jets got a GREAT QB prospect.

2. jdon

jdon Well-Known Member

I kid about Macc a lot but here I think he made all the right moves

3. Endlessly Counting

Endlessly Counting Well-Known Member

Jets moving up to the third pick changed the whole dynamic of the draft. The fact that the Jets were sitting there at 3 certain to pick a QB clearly influenced the Browns pick. Maybe the Browns pick Barkley at 1, knowing they could get Mayfield at 4.

But, to be fair, the same thing might've happened if the Bills, Dolphins etc traded up to 3 and it's obvious that the Cots were willing to trade. So, to assume that the entire draft plays out the same if the Jets stayed at 6 is a false assumption.

Bottom line, before yesterday, Darnold was the consensus #1 QB and was expected to be the #1 pick. We would not have gotten him at 6. NO ONE expected him to be available for the Jets, even at 3, so he was never really in the pre-draft conversation for who we might pick.

I liked Rosen before the pick, but I don't know how much of that was a rationalization, given the presumption that Darnold would not be available.

LAJet likes this.
  4. MeanGreenMachine88

MeanGreenMachine88 Well-Known Member

We don’t need a bunch of second round picks they wouldn’t take the right players anyway

5. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

If we didn't make the trade a month ago and Darnold slipped to three it would've been next years number 1 and the two 2s. Looking at it today it was a great move. In three or four years and Darnold is another Sanchez then we lose. Hopefully not. We;ll see.

6. phubbadaman

phubbadaman Well-Known Member

It is so important to remember that the Jets made this trade, 1) to move up for a QB and 2) to prevent other teams from leapfrogging them for a QB. Cleveland was taking a QB and the Giants weren't trading evidently so 3 was the spot and the Jets got there first. It was a great/shrewd move by Mac, we just have to hope the guy we got is the real deal now

harts24, rico college and Noam like this.
  7. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

Rosen is going to be a very good player but it's hard to not listen to him and not immediately dislike him. There is an issue of people's bias towards him overshadowing his talent just as there is an issue with Allen's amazing physical gifts making scouts overrate him.

After Sanchez's fumbles Darnold scares me. I hope we let him sit at least a year.

8. rico college

rico college Well-Known Member

Rosen is made of glass, period. We dodged a bullet by not drafting him.

Whatever we gave up to get our guy, it was worth it.

Andy_M, Jets-N-Terps and rohirrim665 like this.
  9. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

Not a hard poll for me as i would have taken Rosen with the 3 pick.

10. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

Brady - immediate dislike
    Rodgers - immediate dislike

So not necessarily a bad thing. A lot of good qbs are pricks that nobody but fans of their team likes.

FJF likes this.
  11. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

it sure would be great to be able to see the Jets draft board and how they had these qbs rated,,,,,maybe years from now we find out ? Hopefully Darnold is the guy we have waited an eternity for

FJF likes this.
  12. playtowinthegame

playtowinthegame Well-Known Member

If you told me all we had to give up to land the BEST quarterback in this draft (Sam Darnold) were a couple of our own 2nd rd picks and the one Mac STOLE from dumb ass Seattle in the Sheldon Richardon 1 season rental, I would say you're fucking crazy. The fact is we are lucky the way this draft played out. The Browns and Giants are all going to rue the day they allowed Darnold to fall to the Jets at No. 3 overall. The Giants are the most fucked of them all with Eli probably out of the league in 2 to 3 years max. They better hope Webb is good, but odds are he's your typical 3rd round quarterback crap out.

Attackett and rohirrim665 like this.
  13. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

I would have taken Rosen, Watson or Mahomes without the trade. If it works out and Darnold turns into a great QB it doesn't matter. If it doesn't the cost is deadly. Go back to to the Eli and picks for Rivers. You can argue that the Giants gave up a ton and you could even argue that Rivers is better although I wouldn't but even if you do it worked out well. The key is not should we have taken Rosen and kept the picks. The key is Mac wanted a franchise QB and did what he felt he had to do to get one. If we can't develop him and build a consistently good team around him that makes the playoffs on a regular basis and goes deep when the team is really good it doesn't matter who we took.

I say that and I would have taken Rosen at 1,2 or 3. The fact that the Cardinals got Rosen giving up almost nothing stings but it's not critical. What's critical is developing Darnold.

14. vokab206

vokab206 Well-Known Member

With our history of second round picks since David Harris.....

15. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

Here is another scenario: Jets stay at 6 and Cleveland and the Giants take Mayfield and Darnold. During the next 3 picks the other two QBs get drafted or perhaps only Allen is still there (who the Jets didnt seem to like). What happens then? I would say this scenario was somewhat likely to happen. In that case, we would have had to draft a guy like Chubb or Fitzpatrick because he would be the BPA and then we would have been screaming at Mac that he didn't draft a QB. We would be going into the season with McCown/Bridgewater and possibly a late round QB. Not the way I would have wanted to go into the season.

Arguing the fact that Rosen may be the better QB is fine, but these like "what if" draft scenarios after the fact are just pointless.

Nesquik likes this.
  16. Nesquik

Nesquik Well-Known Member

Hindsight is 20/20 i dont think it was possible to account for the Giants making a foolish mistake, other teams not trading up before us and Rosen sliding. No one has a crystal ball and if we stayed at 6 this whole time they might have not chosen Rosen at all maybe they would have selected Allen. Im good with Darnold im ecstatic for our future. WE FINALLY have a REAL QB

17. LeonNYJ

LeonNYJ Well-Known Member

IDK, if you're not a fan of a team that rivals the Pats, is Brady really that bad? He seems like a decent guy honestly. He certainly whines a lot on the field, but off the field I've never really heard anything bad about him.

18. Jay Bizniss

Jay Bizniss Well-Known Member

The problem is, there is no guarantee Rosen would have been there at 6. Someone else would have traded up with the Colts for sure and who knows who they would have taken.

Def wouldn't have minded keeping those 2 second rounders to use tonight as we could have had two very good starters, but also am not mad at all if Darnold ends up being our guy for 15+ years. Tired of going into every offseason with QB questions. Ready for that to be over.

19. impure

impure Well-Known Member

Jeez so many ungrateful fans.
    We just got the top QB in the draft. Who cares about some 2nd round picks, we usually waste them anyway.

Rosen's injury history is too much of a risk.

20. macbk

macbk Well-Known Member

All this. It's very hard to play the "what-if" card because so many other things could have happened if we stayed put.

slimjasi likes this.