Hey Champ

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by typeOnegative13NY, Nov 12, 2006.

1. ScotsJet

ScotsJet Active Member

If we put you on IR do we open up a roster space for a new poster?

2. MDBigDog

MDBigDog Active Member

Everyone knows I liked Herm and still do. I think he's done a pretty damn good job in KC despite losing his starting QB. I've had a chance to watch a few of those games while at a sports bar and their offense has been pretty wide open.

That being said, I have to agree with the majority that Buttle is going a bit overboard with things though he's entitled to his opinion. Though I do agree with him in that the hatred of Herm was a bit too extreme and that Herm rarely got a fair shake from people. By that I mean some of the very things people are giving Mangin/Mike T a pass on are things they bashed Herm and TB for (i.e. imposing his own scheme, 2nd tier and lower FAs, etc).

My take is that Mangin has a lot to learn as a HC but for a rookie HC he's doing a pretty damn good job overall. I also believe that the "things" I was referring to above that Mangini is gettinga pass on are things that ALL head coaches do when they take over a team and while we don't have to like them we should take that into account when judging a coach.

Sunday's win was a big one and Mangini DID outcoach BB. While Herm had his one game of outcoaching BB too I believe that Mangini will most likely be able to continue do so. I'm also hoping that the "growing pains" we are going through on D will make the D stronger in the future.

As for Champ, I doubt he'll be on for a while, especially because he has to pay up on the bet he made with me about Herm before the season which he has lost. But of course in typical Champ fashion he will ignore the facts and most likely pretend it never happened.

3. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

Great post MD, glad to see you back in action. Can't disagree with much of what you posted. It's not rub on Mangini to like Herm. While I'm not a believer in Herm, I don't mind at all seeing him do well in KC, at least not until it's at our expense. Hopefully the schedule makers give us an early season game against him the next time we play KC.:)

4. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

I'm waiting for him to explain to me how we'll still be paying for Herm and Bradway's regime in 2010. He's yet to get back to me.

5. MDBigDog

MDBigDog Active Member

Thanks. Probably still limited action for me but I will try to add my two cents every now and then.

I agree 100% that you can like both coaches. While I miss Herm as a HC I do think that especially the way things went down that it was win-win for both Herm and the Jets and that Mangini has a bit more potential then Herm does as a HC.

What's amazing about this year in general is how the "top" coaches seem to change from week to week. Many of the heavyweights like BB, Tuna, Gibbs etc are having really bad games and making pretty bad decisions. Even guys like Marvin Lewis, Gruden, and others are having a tough go of things.

I posted this in another thread but the Cowboys/Skins game last week had some of the worst coaching decisions I've seen in one game in some time. Though both guys are still hall of fame HCs.

6. MDBigDog

MDBigDog Active Member

Hope you have a lot of books to read while you wait :lol:

7. jaywayne12

jaywayne12 Well-Known Member

Echo winstons thoughts...and really great to see the dog posting again.

As far as champ goes....if memory serves me correctly...champ said he would be away until the end of this week. So we might want to cut him a break.

Because I had accused him of not being around after a win..he posted something warning me he would be away.

8. MDBigDog

MDBigDog Active Member

For me the bet was after Week 8 so I bumped the original thread we made the bet in back at the end of October so maybe he's been off for two weeks or so but who knows.

9. EcKo151

EcKo151 Active Member

Champ must be in Aruba, Costa Rica or Jamaica...

10. ScotsJet

ScotsJet Active Member

I suspect that is because the present regime appear to be making these moves as part of a discernible plan, whereas it all seemed a bit haphazard under the last lot.

11. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

Good to hear from you, Dog.

My only quibble with what you said is that I believe that Herm got plenty of benefit of the doubt for quite a few years - it was only when it became apparent (to me, anyway) that nothing was going to change after 5 years (or more) that people grew tired of him. When that was compounded by the despicable way he left town (which even most Herm supporters found deplorable), that sealed the deal. Remember, even after he was gone, the online "report card" on him here at TGG rated him about a B-, which I thought was eminently fair (and surprisingly high given the circumstances). While there are certainly people who never do anything other than curse out Herm, I just don't agree with some that he never got a fair shake here (or in Jetland in general).

Mangini is getting a pass, for precisely the reason that it is his first year. If this FO doesn't show growth over the next few years, there will be plenty of calls for them to leave as well.

12. KOZ

KOZ Totally Addicted

Not a chance, he's in Kokomo....

13. typeOnegative13NY

typeOnegative13NY Well-Known Member

he may be away,but we know he pays no attention to the Jets during W weeks.

14. BIG COUNTRY

BIG COUNTRY Well-Known Member

I hope hes having a good time on yet another surprise vacation. When he returns, whenever we lose, we must rip into him to the point where he has to give us a real answer.

15. 3rdAnd15Draw

3rdAnd15Draw Well-Known Member

it's ironic that while many "darksiders" are chastised on this board for being negative about a certain player after a big win people apparently have no problem with someones first thought being to come on the board and try to "stick it" to a fellow jets fan after a big win.

16. typeOnegative13NY

I really think being a "darksider" is ridiculous,however if someone has a specific gripe i have no problem with that. If there is something going on with personel,playcalling etc,someone has a right to voice it. There are some that just hate everything the Jets do. They get what they said they wanted,a regime change,and then they find something else to miserable about. Some of it is so damn bad,that i myself have to question if they are maybe not a Pats fan trying to get a rise out of us using a Jet fan personality. That is what "darksider" means to me,and i suggest prozac for that.

Sunday was agreat win. The Jets played so strong in every part of the game. If a so called Jet fan can't come in here and give this team props and have some positive comments about their team after that game,the gig is up.

17. Dinobot 2

Dinobot 2 Active Member

The ones who bitch after the Pats win. These are the ridiculous fans.

There's constructive criticism. Then there's "Bench Chad" BS.

18. 3rdAnd15Draw

3rdAnd15Draw Well-Known Member

As others have said in the thread champ is on vacation and said he would be well before the game.

19. phubbadaman

phubbadaman Well-Known Member

For as big a fan as he is, he goes on a lot of vacations during the NFL season and none in the offseason.

20. typeOnegative13NY

i realize that,but i just hope to see a nice post about the Jets from him when he gets back.