Hey Champ

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by typeOnegative13NY, Nov 12, 2006.

1. 3rdAnd15Draw

3rdAnd15Draw Well-Known Member

I think the issue is with you saying he wouldn't start on most HS football teams. While I'm sure there are HS QB's with better arms most are completely awful and can barely throw the ball.

2. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

Our local HS is playing for the county championship this Thursday, although as is usual for high school, it isn't QB play that drives it (they have great runners, and supposedly the #1 offensive line prospect in the country).

I'll stick with my view that Chad is at least a fine Division III prospect! :lol:

3. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

As a walk on he probably wins the job outright at almost every school in the nation. :lol:

4. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Are we only classifying physical skills as arm strength? If that is the case than sure I'm sure a bunch of HS kids have equal or better arm strength than Pennington. As we should all know by know however is it takes a hell of alot more to be a good NFL Qb than arm strength.

5. sect105

sect105 New Member

Just scrolling through this thread is making me sick, seeing that picture of Herm in his Jets leather from a game almost three years ago, jeez! At least get a new Cheifs photo. The man left us, he lied and said that he was not going anywhere.

I am glad he is gone but how can you compare what his record with this years Jets team would be..he did not want to be here.

Just for the Record, Mangini would be 9-0 with KC.

6. jets1960

jets1960 New Member

Name all the Black Americans were named members of the cabinet by the democrats.

7. phubbadaman

phubbadaman Well-Known Member

This is the craziest thread.

8. statjeff22

Arm strength is a big part of it (I would argue the biggest part), but not all of it. There is also pocket presence, which we all know has never been Chad's strength. There is accuracy on the shorter routes, which he was fantastic at a few years ago, but he hasn't been nearly as good at it this year. There is touch on the flare passes, which also wasn't all that great this year since the first couple of games, but was excellent yesterday.

The 2002 CP had adequate arm strength, below average pocket presence, excellent skills otherwise, and off the charts QB intelligence, and could carry a team by himself. The 2006 version probably can't do that, since it seems his arm just isn't strong enough any more.

9. dabrowsk1

dabrowsk1 Active Member

I find that statement very interesting. At the beginning of the year I remember everyone (I am not directing this at you specifically statjeff22, but in general) saying how great Penny's arm is and how it seemed to be stronger with more "zip" on the ball. They even mentioned it a few times on ESPN. Now after 9 games it is all flipped. Not that I am saying it is wrong, just an interesting observation.

10. statjeff22

You're absolutely right, and I think it's also accurate. His passes did seem to have plenty of zip at the beginning of the season, but after the first two games that seems to have faded away. There were quite a few people speculating that he might have had a tired arm, and that the bye week could help, but I saw no sign yesterday that he got any of the zip back.

I think it would be foolish to think that his arm is going to get any better this season. It might be that another offseason of rest and rehab would help him keep that zip for a longer stretch, but I don't think that it's at all likely to come back this year.

11. MisterMoss

MisterMoss PRO-American

I think Chad has mechanical issues. There is really no other explanation. His deep passes to Coles yesterday were perfectly thrown as far as strength/touch goes. Forget the end result of those plays, but those are well thrown balls. And then you see him lollypopping those short and mid range passes, and you wonder when you look at the grand scheme of things, why this is occuring.

12. Jetzz

Jetzz Active Member

Oh, man, some of you I think just argue for the sake of arguing. I had an ex-wife like that. Just needed to be bitching about something. :lol:

I could really give a damn if that ball Chad chucks comes down quacking like a rabid duck. So long as it finds its way into the reciever's hands so be it. So long as we hold on and win our games, and he stays off the walking wounded list I can be happy.

13. MisterMoss

MisterMoss PRO-American

Yeah, but I can name you 6 bad passes he threw just off the top of my head: The pass behind Baker on third down, the TD pass to Cotchery(horrible decision), pass to Cotch on the sideline which he made a great play on to get a first down, the INT over everybody, the completion to coles on the right side that was almost picked off, the throw to Coles in triple coverage, and I know there are more that I'm forgetting. It just puts the team at a disadvantage when you think you can do better.

14. Tight

Tight Active Member

Only Jets fans. Only Jets fans

Which other team, does thier qb make that pass and complain about decision making ?

If the mannings make that pass, no second guessing. Palmer, delhomme, no second guessing.

He looks good to me.

This guy gives the td that helps us win, and all we can say is. " Bad decision making"

It's sad we are a 2 win team without this man.

Throws look the same to me

#94 Tight, Nov 13, 2006
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2006
  15. BadgerOnLSD

BadgerOnLSD Banned

Well it's not a bad thing to look at it objectively, and I also think it was a bad decision.

But on the other hand I think it says a lot about our team when one player can make a bad decision and another player has the talent to turn it into a great play. That's the kind of thing you need to be a contender.

16. MisterMoss

MisterMoss PRO-American

Ehh. Maybe. But he only got hit on one pass attempt the whole game. Just the attitude I have. He's had a horrendous 4 weeks.

17. BlairThomas#1

BlairThomas#1 New Member

How was the Cotchery pass a "bad decision"? He threw a jump ball to the sideline between 6'0" 210 lb. Cotchery and 5'9" 190 lb. Ellis Hobbs.

18. BadgerOnLSD

BadgerOnLSD Banned

I'm definitely not giving him a pass for the last 4 weeks but I think it's essential for the rest of the team to step up when one player falters.

19. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

You cannot in any way, shape or form call yesterdays performance by Pennington as horrendous. I understand Penny limitations as a Qb fully but with the game conditions yesterday against the Pats in their house, he played a good game. Not great but good and good enough to win..All year we have been hearing how Penny can win against teams that stink but can't beat the big boys. Now he beats a legit great team & there are still complaints. Mind boggling.

#99 Attackett, Nov 13, 2006
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2006
  20. EcKo151

EcKo151 Active Member

Be honest, when that pass was thrown and Hobbs had perfect position, you were just hoping Hobbs wouldn't catch it. It was a bad decision, Hobbs didn't bite on anything, he just got outmuscled and Cotch said he caught him sleeping...

I do like the 2 swing passes Chad had to Dwight and Cotchery I believe where it was perfectly floated over the linebacker, one of them being Tully Banta-Cain.

But as a whole, a very average game. Misreads, bad throws...But on the defense, Brady had a bad game as well, he got bailed out alot by his WRs, and that "roughing the passer" call. The weather played a factor, but over the last few weeks Chad hasn't been nearly effective as he was in the start of the season.