Here's The Monkey Wrench For The Jets Draft

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by boozer32, Mar 12, 2021.

1. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Ralebird, westiedog1 and J-Raw24 like this.
  2. MDJets

MDJets Well-Known Member

All valid points and concerns. I am not convinced Wilson is the guy and his injuries and pound he may take is concerning. Fields has non injuries, more mobile but can he handle pressure? A big IF.

Though Darnold could improve I just don’t think there s much ceiling.

My gut is assuming the FA falls into place, go with a safety and sort of sure bet, get Watson. Trade Darnold for picks. Build the team with mid rounds picks a la Patriots and Ravens.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  3. hornblower

hornblower Well-Known Member

Amazing that so posters were crazy about Wilson after, at the most, seeing him a couple of times on television. Most NFL media also.

4. 24McNeil

24McNeil Well-Known Member

when i saw this headline i was hoping to see a picture of TL smoking a bong. so disappointed.

Pepsiguy5, boozer32, FJF and 8 others like this.
  5. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

While I agree with the premise of the article that all of the QBs have flaws I object to the idea of using NJ.com as a reference to anything football. NJ.com is just a click bait site and would value anything Mehta said more than from NJ.com. That being said I have seen some criticism of Wilson of late. It involves him having problems throwing over the middle and relying on his arm strength to throw out passes. It seems to nbe a bit nit picking but possibly a concern. Here is an example. https://thedraftnetwork.com/articles/zach-wilson-wide-zone-2021-nfl-draft I did see someone do a good video on Wilson ignoring the middle of the field a week ago but I cannot find it.

#5 Noam, Mar 12, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2021
    NCJetsfan and matt robinson 17 like this.
  6. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

That’s my issue really....I’m not sold on either Fields or Wilson as FQBs....

Pepsiguy5, NOVAJET, Ralebird and 2 others like this.
  7. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Not a monkey wrench. More like common sense. No QB is a sure thing. Even Lawrence.

The Jets are in the best spot they will ever be to get a new QB. If they pass on that and keep Sam, that is on them, and he better be the QB we expected him to be in 2018, or this franchise will continue to be a joke.

You can't just pick a QB to pick a QB though. So Douglas needs to believe in Wilson or Fields or whoever he decides to replace Sam with.

8. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Even if I put my own opinions aside, I've seen enough scouts and QB coaches rave about Wilson that I'd feel comfortable drafting him. Chris Simms, JT O'Sullivan, Tim Jenkins etc. I've also heard local Utah beat writers talk about his leadership, work ethic and desire to be great. I put a lot more weight into their opinions than coaches, teammates etc who all have biases.

I think the size/injury concerns are overblown. Labrum issues usually don't cause further problems down the line when fixed and Wilson is 6'3 215 currently. Maybe not ideal weight but by no means is he concerningly small, and with 5-10 more lbs he'll be just about ideal size for a QB.

Could he bust? No doubt, in fact most QB's do other than ones taken #1 overall. I think there's enough reason to believe he's good that he's worth a shot though.

9. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The Patriots and Ravens?

You mean the teams that already had a roster when this approach was working for them?

Go look at the Jets roster.

How do you spell bad roster?

J-E-T-S.

Everything that is going to happen in 2021 is primarily affected by the fact that the Jets have a legitimate 2-14 roster right now.

They blow chunks.

You don't get to good roster from 2-14 roster by trading a lots of high picks for a QB and signing a few free agents. You get to "blew the franchise building window" by doing that.

Centiment likes this.
  10. King Koopa

King Koopa Well-Known Member

My first impression of Wilson a few months ago when I was looking at the QBs in the draft was that he looks like he had a slight build. I’m still a little concerned that he can take the hits in the NFL to hold up, and the injury history doesn’t help much.

Atleast with Fields or Lance I don’t have any of those concerns

I don’t know how that affects the overall grade, but it has to be part of the puzzle.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  11. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

Its fair to bring up prospects faults. No prospect is perfect, although Lawrence is among the closer ones we've seen.

I don't necessarily consider it a monkey wrench though. If a team is waiting for a "close to perfect prospect," then they're not only going to be waiting for a decade, but also need to tank the season away and get the number one pick just to get him. Personally, I have no problem taking a QB at two if Douglas deems him a potential franchise QB.

If Douglas thinks Fields and Wilson arent the answer, than I'm fine with trading back as well. Pick up additional capital and maybe address QB later on (Lance or Mac Jones).

Hitching your wagon to Darnold is incredibly risky though. Historically, QBs with numbers as bad as Darnold dont just turn it around and become franchise QBs year four. And if he does have a great year, you need to pay him big time money for what was largely one year of production. Again, a pretty risky move for a Coach/GM.

I love Darnold, I think he's a great guy. I hold the Jets mostly responsible for his lack of development. Unfortunately, what's done is done. It just isnt worth keeping him hoping he makes an unprecedented jump (including needing to re-sign him) when you can take a QB this year and reset the rookie clock.

Pepsiguy5, boozer32, FJF and 5 others like this.
  12. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

This perfectly sums up my thoughts.

As much as I stan for Wilson around here I'd also be happy with a trade down as long as it meant drafting one of Lance or Jones. The only scenario that would leave me absolutely irate would be not drafting any QB in the first round.

13. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I don't think there's much of a monkey wrench. And I think if they forego taking a quarterback it says more about what they think these prospects will turn into than what they think of Darnold.

I think Darnold's uphill climb to being a plus starter is immense and I don't think he'll get there. But he's not Geno. He's bottom-tier but he's not Hackenberg inept. He can still run an NFL offense and be a place holder for one more year if the team is not sold on Lance/Fields/Wilson.

I'm starting to like a targeted trade down to still get one of these guys. I'm hoping Atlanta falls in love with Wilson and we can move down to 4. Philly/Detroit/Carolina would be a riskier trade down but if we did so I imagine that means we're content with passing on a QB.

The Dark Knight likes this.
  14. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I think the point of no return is past with Darnold and I think it's primarily because of the Watson hysteria. The Johnsons aren't going to risk the fanbase going billboards on them again because they stuck with the guy that more than half the fanbase had already moved on from.

If it's not a guy getting drafted, it will probably be another vet like Beathard or Garoppolo.

15. twown

twown Well-Known Member

Urban Meyer smoking a BFF bong with Justin Fields would be even better.

Pepsiguy5 likes this.
  16. Jonathan_Vilma

Garroppolo blows.

I'm sold on Fields and I'm starting to buy this Lance hype because he's such a superb athlete with a cannon. Otherwise I'd be more bought into another Darnold season. I also wouldn't have a problem with a Darnold/draftee situation even if a veteran placeholder is more ideal.

Darnold is such a beta that it's not like he'd act like Favre to him.

I still don't want the Johnson's anywhere near the personnel decision makers even if it's the right decision. Unfortunately I think you're right in them being worried about billboards and such.

Pepsiguy5 and J-Raw24 like this.
  17. major33

major33 Well-Known Member

With that being said, I'm still taking Wilson. Can't compare Mayfield with Wilson. 2 completely different offenses and Mayfield was more of a gunslinger in college. He would throw rifles in between defenders and take many more chances because he had a talented offense to work with. He went #1 because of his ability to fit the ball into tight coverage over the middle. Wilson you cannot fault for the over the middle passes because his receivers would drop passes that were perfect throws.

Durability is a concern for every QB. Cam Newton for how big he is was clobbered and beat up his rookie season. Drew Brees is small. Kyler Murray is a shrimp.

Wilson because of his early injuries could not get as strong as he would have liked but still threw darts and made accurate throws across his body. He can also throw the deep ball with accuracy. In the pros, he won't run as much, but he will scramble and make plays.

I will not fault anyone who doubts him. When it comes to QB's, it is usually in the eye of the beholder.

18. Jonathan_Vilma

Mayfield was also more of a gunslinger because he has an absolute cannon even if his windup is a bit longer. I don't think Wilson has the natural velocity on his balls over the middle in comparison.

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  19. major33

major33 Well-Known Member

But Wilson gets rid of the ball before the defense can set up. He also plays smarter & is great at improvising when a play breaks down. Not sure where this arm strength stuff with Wilson comes from because if you can make an accurate throw on the run across your body with some zip, you can make any throw. Plus he had terrible receivers who would drop everything. His numbers would have been off the charts if he played in the same offense that Baker had.

I had Mayfield as my #1 in that draft with Jackson at 2.

20. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

Ralebird, NCJetsfan and REVISion like this.