Help me decide on a console

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by 1028, Aug 10, 2008.

1. 1028

1028 Active Member

Alright, so I mostly lost interest in videogames a few years ago, but this Summer I dug out the Xbox and started playing some games I never finished, like Half-Life 2, Doom 3, Conker, etc. Now I'm hooked. I'd like to get one of the next generation systems, but I need some advice on where to begin. Here are my thoughts so far:

PS3 - I've been craving this system for most of the Summer, but recently I've been questioning myself, mostly because of the price tag and apparent limited game selection. Really the only exclusive game I want on this in MGS4... the blu ray is nice too, but it seems I can get most PS3 games on the 360.

360 - I'm not really a fan of this system because of the whole red ring fiasco... I hear about it everywhere I turn. There aren't many 360 exlusive games I'm interested in either, except Halo 3, really. My interest in Halo 3 and MGS4 is pretty much tied right now... if I became enamored with either game, it could probably swing my interest to that system.

Wii - While this system does have a bunch of exclusives, they're all Nintendo franchises, and they're none of my favorite ones. Mario looks cool, but their Zelda isn't even a Wii title... it's a polished up Gamecube port. An exclusive Zelda would be nice, but there's no info out on it, other than the fact that there might be one. What about the Donkey Kong, Yoshi, and Kirby titles? If they'd release a few more platformers I'd be all over this system. I'm not a big Wii Sports fan either.

3rd party games - The ones I'm really interested in are RE5 and GTAIV, which eliminates the Wii in that regard. I can get Madden on all 3 systems though, so that's that.

Conclusion - I'm mostly a fan of first person shooters and totally childish platform games, but no two system really has the best of both worlds. I'm leaning towards the 360 right now, but that red ring terrifies me. Graphics aren't a huge consideration for me.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Sorry for the huge writeup.

#1 1028, Aug 10, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2008
  2. TommyGreen

TommyGreen Trolls

The Wii was fun for like a day then got really old. I'm actually thinking of selling mine, but there is a bright spot: you can d/l all your old favorites.

Grab the PS3. Once more and more games start utilizing the BluRay technology it's going to blow everything out of the water.

3. devilonthetownhallroof

devilonthetownhallroof 2007 TGG Fantasy Baseball League Champion

Go with 360. I've never had a problem with mine. As long as you keep the air vents unrestricted you should be fine.

4. Jtuds

Jtuds Active Member

I think you'll get bored of the Wii

My GF's brother who's 26 got a Wii and a PS3 as gifts in the span of a month (the Wii came first) and now he never plays the Wii except with his GF who isn't a gamer.

PS3: Blu Ray and game system in one.....cheapest Blu Ray player out there and gets rated as one of the best too. Technologically, it has more than the 360 (in terms of the guts of the system). Plays Blu Ray discs not DVDs, so way more data can be packed into games and it def shows in MGS4 and Gran Turismo Prologue. MGS4 set a benchmark in gaming and still nobody knows for sure where the PS3's ability will top out. Free online play and if you're not into that, then there ar weekly game demos for free, and you can now rent movies on the system of even buy them and download them.

X360: Cheaper, more games....more exculsives that have done very well (Halo, Gears of War, Fable) You pay for online.

5. 1028

1028 Active Member

Can it still play DVD movies though?

6. Jtuds

Jtuds Active Member

Sure can....I didn't watch a Blu Ray till I had my PS3 for almost a year. It also up-converts normal DVDs to a better resolution.

The Playstation controller is the remote, it's pretty easy to get used to.

If you're still thinking of a 360 though, wait till Sept....there's rumours that it's going down in price by another $100.

7. 1028

1028 Active Member

Wow, I just checked into those rumors... that's pretty awesome if they're true. Thanks for that, jtuds... it's looking more and more like the 360 is right system for for me.

8. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

I own a 360 and recommend you buy a ps3. The RROD is annoying as fuck even though they replace it. I've had to ship mine back 3 times so far.

I know some people love the wii, but I think it's stupid. I just don't like it.

Spend the extra bucks and save yourself the frustration.

9. Jtuds

Jtuds Active Member

They did apparently fix the red ring problem though.....that was months ago.....

I like the PS3 and haven't been gaming nearly as much as in the past but if the 360 goes down to 200 bucks I might grab one.

10. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

...just got the Red Ring of Death yesterday.

Looks like I'll have to wait a couple weeks to play Madden 09

11. gustoonarmy

gustoonarmy 2006-2007 TGG.com Best International Poster of the

I 'won' a 360, tried it for a week, and thought , nah! , Not for me. Bought PS3 and haven't looked back. I know other ex Xboxers who are now converts.
    Try both and see for yourself.

12. xmscott

xmscott Well-Known Member

13. WhiteShoeWillis

They didn't fix shit. They replace your 360 with a new one every time and every time it fucks up again.

That sucks ass. I would be enraged if it happened to me the day before madden came out. Madden is the reason I own a console.

#13 WhiteShoeWillis, Aug 11, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2008
  14. devilonthetownhallroof

That's because they don't replace it with a new one. They replace it with a "refurbished" one, which is likely one of the older models that still had the problem. The issue is more with Microsoft customer service than with the console itself.

15. xmscott

16. WhiteShoeWillis

link?

Their customer service IS horrible. You get some indian dude on the phone that you can hardly understand. I tried to get a manager on the phone last time I talked to them and the retard either didn't understand me or refused.

MS is an American company and I bought the shit in America. I want someone who speaks English as their first language when I call for support. Is that too much to ask?

17. xmscott

Mario doesnt just look cool, it fucking ruled. One of the best platformers of all time. If you dont buy a Wii find something that already did. Shouldnt be too hard. And play Galaxy.

18. devilonthetownhallroof

I don't have a link, it's just something I found out from working at Gamestop. The used systems we get that are broken are sent to MS to be "refurbished". Some are sent back to be sold as used systems, and some are kept for replacements.

As for Mario Galaxy, it's INCREDIBLE. I have a 360 and a Wii. My problem with the Wii is there aren't a whole lot of good games for it. Sports games are far better on the 360. But the Nintendo titles like Mario, Zelda, Mario Kart, etc are amazing. They're the only reasons I got the Wii in the first place. And Wii Sports is fun with friends.

19. Scikotic

Scikotic Banned

what is this red ring you guys speak of?

20. jgangstahippie7:18

You should get a PS3. I might get one next year for college. Now I am thinking a Favre jersey for my B-Day, or a guitar, or a car. Anyway you got Blu Ray, free online play, the quality of games are improving on the Ps3.